help with gearing. . .

chuck_norris

Aug 10, 2009
clayton,NY
i am tired of being so slow. im running 18" turf tamers with stock rear sprocket and a 15 tooth front. on gps i was only doing 49.9. how much would a 38t rear help? and what could i look for for a speed increase

yea a 38 would help, a general rule of thumb 2-3 teeth in the back is about the same as one tooth up front. Another thing that would help would be to get bigger tires!!!! lol 18s are for acceleration not top speed

thats were my moneys going next lol. how do u think just the 15 with 20's would do. and dude nice sig lol. gotta love the heavy sh*t lol

It is down in the rear or up in the front for more top end....

Up in the rear down in the front for more lower end.

If you ever watch streetbike stunters the have huge rear sprockets Ive seen 70 tooth on some. So they can just pop the front wheel up with ease....

A 15t with 20s with little modding might spread your blasty a bit thin when it comes to power. If you get 20s a 14t up front would be premo.
And thanks m8 ;)

how fast do u think with 14t with 20's. whats in my sig is whats done and i want to atleast be able to see my bros 450r when he passes me. not just a blur lol. he is sending it out to ct racing for a 55hp pump gas kit

Why do you need 18s?? Seems that you're at the limits of the 18s.

Try going with 20s and then you'll probably want a 14 tooth front.

Keep in mind that one tooth up front makes more of a difference than changing two teeth out back!! Do the gear ratios yourself, just divide rear by front to get the gear ratio.

Once you reach the limits of changing the ratios with the sprockets, unless there is a reason that you need to run that same size tire, you can change the effectiveness of any gear ratio by increasing or decreasing tire size!!!

here's how this works......

Gear ratios are calculated by taking the number of teeth on the rear sprocket and dividing by the number of teeth on the front sprocket.

The lower this number is numerically, the less initial take off you will have, but you will gain top speed. This is referred to as a "high" gear ratio.

When this number his higher, it is reffered to as a lower ratio.

Essentially, the closer you get to 0, the more top speed you will have, at the expense of acceleration

changing rear tire diameter also technically affects your gear ratio, taller tires are more speed, smaller tires are more acceleration, just like when you change the size of the sprocket.

now lets apply this.....

stock you have a 13t front, and a 40t rear. to figure out gear ratio

rear tooth/front tooth=gear ratio

40/13=3.08

change the front sprocket to a 14t and we have this:

40/14=2.86

this is a pretty substantial change in the scope of things by just changing 1 tooth

now lets play with the rear sprocket.....

stock front with 13t, and a rear sprocket with 39t.

39/13= 3

this is a very very small change.

It comes out that for every tooth you add or subtract from the front sprocket, you subtract or add 3 teeth to the rear.

40/14=3.86

37/13=3.85

basically if you are looking for a large change in your gearing then change the front, as far as i know the smallest rear sprocket you can get for a blaster is a 38t. so large changes can only be done with the front, use the rear to fine tune. for most people a 14/40 seems to be the sweet spot.

to expound upon this............
a tire with an 18" diameter will push the quad about 56.5 inches per revolution.

a quad with a 20" diameter tire will travel 62.8 inches per revolution.

i'm too lazy to do the actual math to figure out how much mph difference that would be, at least in theory. just remember, the closer the gearing gets to 0, the harder it is to turn it.

Blaster
1st 34/11 (3.091)
2nd 31/14 (2.214)
3rd 25/15 (1.667)
4th 20/16 (1.250)
5th 19/18 (1.056)
6th 19/21 (0.905)

There ya go :) Like math? Now if ya measure how far your tire travels in 1 revolution <( i like that word) and you know how far a mile is, there is enough info in this thread to figure how fast you will go at any rpm in any gear. That don't mean your motor can pull 15/40 in 6th ..LOL

Blaster
1st 34/11 (3.091)
2nd 31/14 (2.214)
3rd 25/15 (1.667)
4th 20/16 (1.250)
5th 19/18 (1.056)
6th 19/21 (0.905)

There ya go :) Like math? Now if ya measure how far your tire travels in 1 revolution <( i like that word) and you know how far a mile is, there is enough info in this thread to figure how fast you will go at any rpm in any gear. That don't mean your motor can pull 15/40 in 6th ..LOL

hell Im getting ready to spend a bucket load of money to build a motor to pull 15/35 with 22's

Gear ratios are calculated by taking the number of teeth on the rear sprocket and dividing by the number of teeth on the front sprocket.

The lower this number is numerically, the less initial take off you will have, but you will gain top speed. This is referred to as a "high" gear ratio.

Essentially, the closer you get to 0, the more top speed you will have, at the expense of acceleration

changing rear tire diameter also technically affects your gear ratio, taller tires are more speed, smaller tires are more acceleration, just like when you change the size of the sprocket.

now lets apply this.....

40/13=3.08

40/14=2.86

this is a pretty substantial change in the scope of things by just changing 1 tooth

39/13= 3

It comes out that for every tooth you add or subtract from the front sprocket, you subtract or add 3 teeth to the rear.

40/14=3.86

37/13=3.85

basically if you are looking for a large change in your gearing then change the front, as far as i know the smallest rear sprocket you can get for a blaster is a 38t. so large changes can only be done with the front, use the rear to fine tune. for most people a 14/40 seems to be the sweet spot.

a tire with an 18" diameter will push the quad about 56.5 inches per revolution.

i'm too lazy to do the actual math to figure out how much mph difference that would be, at least in theory. just remember, the closer the gearing gets to 0, the harder it is to turn it.

I am almost beginning to think this guy has a brain........ :eek:

i certainly hope so......otherwise all of this college education is really a waste of money...lol

Wow! I really need to switch my ratio for my sprockets. I hit 59 miles per hour in 7 seconds, and then i don't go any faster. I still have the stock gearing

My blaster has:

325 big bore (ha ha bet you wish you had that)
FMF gold series fatty pipe/turbine core 2
weight is 486 pounds with me on it
cobra atv nerf bars

now lets apply this.....

40/13=3.08

40/14=2.86

39/13= 3

40/14=3.86

37/13=3.85

Has anyone ever used the pbi 11 tooth sprocket?