Help new crank seals but still have white smoke

tcdave

Jun 21, 2011
Oregon
I bought a 1993 blaster from a guy who rebuil the top and bored it to 240cc. It was smoking a lot of white smoke so i replaced the crank seal on the right side by the clutch. I started it up and its still smoking. Can it be the old oil in the exhaust heating up or is my engine done?:(

could be residual oil, you really need to do a leakdown test on it to make sure the crankcase is sealed up

It doesn't smell bad its kind of sweat. I put in 10-30 casterol motor oil in it. How do I do a leak down test?

Ok if i do that and find a leak how does that help me? I though the only place oil from the gearbox can reach the piston is through the crankshaft seals right? should i use thicker oil?

Do you think my oil is to thin? I will go buy some gear oil then. Any other ideas? Should i put transmission stop leak in it?

take that oil out and put Gear Oil in it, wrong oil!! put 80w-90 Gear oil in it i think that is whats recommended.

THIS IS INCORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yamaha does NOT recommend gear oil in these transmissions, doing so will not do any favors for your clutch either, that motor oil probably has friction modifiers which will also wreak havoc with the clutch.

you need motorcycle gearbox oil, the recommended is 10w-30 or 10w-40. Others have used ATF type F with success.

belray also makes a great gearbox oil. its all preference, but use a good motorcycle oil.

Back to original issue:

gear oil can get to the crankcase through the small spacer around the crank (that the seal goes around) or between the cases themselves.

does anybody notice that he posted it in the wrong section and listen to brandonz28 trust me he knows what hes talking about

i run Valvoline Durablend tough driving formula synthetic blend 80w-90 GEAR OIL, and it hasnt done any harm to my factory '95 engine, yep never been rebuilt and nothing in the engine has had a problem. (prev. owner my good friend) so i dont think thats totally incorrect;) Gear oil works good.(for me anyway)

doing a leakdown test is going to be the ONLY way to know if its residual or if you've still got a leak

ok so i called the yamaha dealership and they told me that my casterol 10-30 oil will work. They also said I should just run the quad for about an hour to get rid of all the old oil that went in my lower end. I will give it a try and let you guys no what I find.

id pull the tank flip it upside down and pull the plugput it gear with the ignition off and rotate the back wheels to pump all of the oil out maybe even spray some carb cleaner in if its real bad.Sounds crude but i often find simple ingenious methods to be effective if thouht out well. just my logic. some ppl think in barbaric . . . well i am

Ok im gonna try some of the thicker gear oil then. Would fliping it upside down and turning the back wheels actually help. I will do a leak down test soon. I bought cheap crank seals off ebay maybe thats the problem. The guy I bought it from had a nice performance exhaust, but he gave me the stock one and its bored to 240cc. I cleaned a lot of gunky oil out of the exhaust today, but its still smoking. Could he have rebuilt the top end bad?

Its going to take time of running that thing before all the gear oil is gone. 30 minutes or so of operating.

I read an article where they were testing different ratios of oil/gas mix, and they had a sniffer in the exhaust, and between tests they found it was taking 30 minutes or so for the ratio to actually get to where they wanted it because of how much oil was in the crankcase.