HELP!!!! Clutch rod stuck and won't come out....

Clydedog

Oct 13, 2010
....I went and got a Vito's clutch rod replacement kit and when I went to install it, ran into a major problem. I've got everything in the clutch torn down, but the clutch rod won't come out. Everything I've seen about this parts change out suggests the rod should slide in and out of the shaft easily, but not in my case. I suspect the ball between the two rods is welded to one of the rods, possibly mushrooming out the end of the rod. I've spun the retaining nut on the end of the rod and tried using a hammer like it would be pulling a nail. It wouldn't budge. What would you do next if you were in my shoes? I don't want to cause any more damage by trying some kind of a slide hammer or other heavy handed methods. Does it look like I might have to split the cases, remove the shaft the clutch rods and ball bearing ride in and tap them out from the other side. Is this even possible?..... :-/

...I'm really, really hoping that I don't have to split the cases. I just rebuilt the top end and the bike really ripped before the clutch wouldn't disengage. When I grab the end of the cluth rod with vice grips, it'll only pull out about 1/8". I'm working it back and forth while twisting it, hopefully it will wear down the mushrooming enough to release the rod. I'll keep trying until I suceed or someone chimes in with a better method. Hopefully someone out there has run across a solution for this that doesn't require an engine pull and case splitting...

...It's the one that you adjust on the pressure plate when doing clutch adjustments. When the clutch basket is pulled, it's visable sticking out of the shaft, so I guess it would be the outside one...

...I'm really, really hoping that I don't have to split the cases. I just rebuilt the top end and the bike really ripped before the clutch wouldn't disengage. When I grab the end of the cluth rod with vice grips, it'll only pull out about 1/8". I'm working it back and forth while twisting it, hopefully it will wear down the mushrooming enough to release the rod. I'll keep trying until I suceed or someone chimes in with a better method. Hopefully someone out there has run across a solution for this that doesn't require an engine pull and case splitting...

Unfortunately if it doesn't slip out easily, you're doing about the only thing you can do... at least it's moving at all. You're lucky all three parts are welded together so you have something to pull on. I've seen the inner rod (way down in there) and the ball only weld and mushroom. That basically requires a case split.

Unfortunately if it doesn't slip out easily, you're doing about the only thing you can do... at least it's moving at all. You're lucky all three parts are welded together so you have something to pull on. I've seen the inner rod (way down in there) and the ball only weld and mushroom. That basically requires a case split.

That what i think I'm looking at. ( Not to thread jack ) I can get the Pressure plate rod out. But i can't get the ball out. So I'm assuming the inner rod and ball welded together.

Unfortunately if it doesn't slip out easily, you're doing about the only thing you can do... at least it's moving at all. You're lucky all three parts are welded together so you have something to pull on. I've seen the inner rod (way down in there) and the ball only weld and mushroom. That basically requires a case split.[/QUOTE

....I've been working it back and forth for a while and nothing seems to be improving. I did notice there is a retainer held on by two phillps screws that holds the bearing in place that supports the shaft that the clutch rod is stuck into. I removed these screws and noticed the bearing almost pulls out of the case. The only thing holding it from coming out are the two gears, one held in by a circlip, the other by a nut, retention washer and a woodriff key. If I were to pull these two gears, would the shaft come out, therefore keeping me from having to split the cases? :-/

I think we had that same problem on one of my son's motors.
He came to me with the problem, couldn't get the clutch rod out, and he had a spare.
I clamped onto it with vice grips and sort of slide hammered it out by hammering on the vice grips.
End was mushroomed and ball was missing that I recall. He replaced both. Worked fine.

Im in the same boat just did a clutch rebuild and the inner rod does not want to slide out.Last thing I want to do is split the case untill its time to rebuild.

I think we had that same problem on one of my son's motors.
He came to me with the problem, couldn't get the clutch rod out, and he had a spare.
I clamped onto it with vice grips and sort of slide hammered it out by hammering on the vice grips.
End was mushroomed and ball was missing that I recall. He replaced both. Worked fine.

....How heavy handed was he during the slide hammering? I was thinking about doing this, but hesitated when I though about what kind of damage I might do to the cases....

I would not think that Best would have thrashed it with a hammer, if you hit the vice grips too hard they would slide down the shaft.

Best is the only one who can answer this, I can only speculate.

Yes, it didn't take much, but the rod was trash, and vice grips don't make anything prettier.
It certainly didn't require splitting the cases.
Now that I think about it, it was SHart's motor.
Still running. We were out last week for a run.

Steve

Yes, it didn't take much, but the rod was trash, and vice grips don't make anything prettier.
It certainly didn't require splitting the cases.
Now that I think about it, it was SHart's motor.
Still running. We were out last week for a run.

Steve

....I'm guessin' it's hammer time. I'll let you know how it goes....

Thanks again blaster forum. My center pin is also stuck. Gonna try the vice grip and hammer method as I'll surely screw up splitting the cases. You guys are great.

What did you clamp onto if it was the inner push rod? I have this same problem right now and I don't want to split the case if I Don't have to. Just re-built the motor and don't want to break it down again. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

What did you clamp onto if it was the inner push rod? I have this same problem right now and I don't want to split the case if I Don't have to. Just re-built the motor and don't want to break it down again. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

You probably should look at the dates on this thread. Odds are the member isn’t active. You could try a PM// DM

Thanks
You probably should look at the dates on this thread. Odds are the member isn’t active. You could try a PM// DM
Thanks Larry's shee. I obviously wasn't thinking. I was just frustrated about my push rod situation. But all is good now. Just put the cover on now. Completely Tor down my motor. Got it out then did a mild port and polish. Can't wait to see what she can do.

Thanks

Thanks Larry's shee. I obviously wasn't thinking. I was just frustrated about my push rod situation. But all is good now. Just put the cover on now. Completely Tor down my motor. Got it out then did a mild port and polish. Can't wait to see what she can do.
I guess I should have looked at the info in the thread. Usually only way is to split the cases. Same with a banshee.
Do you know what causes this ?
Coasting down hill with the clutch pulled in