Hello from OR, need help too.

2_Smoked

Feb 10, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR
www.myspace.com
I recently found I have a love for riding after being invited to a trip to the Christmas Valley sand dunes to be a filmer. They stuck me on an old no suspension Honda and made me try and chase them all over the desert. Needless to say I got home and had to have one. I ended up trading a car that i paid $400 for 1996 Blaster with a blown top end. So, me being myself and taking a small amount of advice from friends I put in a new piston and it started right up. There was a small scratch that probably should have been bored in the cylinder (or honed at least so my rings could seat better) but i wanted to ride immediate. This was before spending hours at this forum. it idled for about 10 minutes before i ripped it up and down the street. Threw it on the back of the truck and was off to the local gravel pits. Half hour after arrival i fried my ring into my piston. Alot of you probably could have told me this was going to happen before it happened. I thank you all who add positive feedback to peoples questions/problems.
So i have a question as well. I have an extra set of rings i could put on maybe if i could the broken piece of the ring off. If its a lost cause that is fine. I will get a picture up.

Oh yeah, I should add that it broke from me trying to get it off. the bottom one came off with a little fight but i got it off, but the top one broke. I realize that this has thrown of the gap that my ring sets from the lip that it made rubbing up in down and actually "setting" the ring in the piston. and i should mention I am not a mech like most of you guys and do not claim to be so go easy on me kthx I:I

For sure Freek. That is totally my plan when i get the money(and some other machine work). But i would love to rip it up in the yard for a few more hours lol.

ahhh that will only lead to a bigger bill in the end bro.....u dont want to shatter the piston and have the chunks waste the cases out

welcome to the forum!
If I was you I'd rebore the jug the next size over and get a piston to match.. I'd also get a wiseco pro light piston, numera's and vito's are crap. I would also look into your carb to see what jetting your running just to be safe and check for any air leaks.
Have fun!

Welcome to the forum bro.........

Like everyone stated above do it right.

Also did you brake the motor in properly after you but the new piston and rings in?

I would think your probelm may be more due to lack of proper break in. I guess the groove in the cylinder may be a factor but if you can at least buff it out to get any sharp edges off I would think you should be ok. The bottom line is if you don't have the time and money for a bore/new piston/gaskets then it may be worth a gamble to patch it up and see how it does.

I bought a polaris 400 two stroke that was torn down and had a piston seizure. I got the stuck rings free on the piston, hones the cylinder with a die grinder and put it back together jsut to be sure it would run before doing a good rebuild. It started right up and ran good with NO NEW PARTS OR GASKETS! But be advised that it could seize again and send metal into the bottom end.

Thanks cran. I knew somebody had to have done it. I realize that it could cause more problems with pieces falling into the bottom and i know that no one wants to tell me to go for it then i blow up my bike and blame everyone. Not gonna happen, i take responsibility. upon inspection of the crank there was a bit of purple on the crank where it looked like it had got hot so i was thinking a bottom end rebuild on this bike was inevitable.
l_412322d19479487f8fff0371fcc3e80e.jpg
<br></br>