Headlight upgrade

SaraLeigh

Aug 26, 2018
Unfortunately I would like to start this thread with... I’m a new member & a female. Lol. I’ve been riding for a long time. My recent purchase is an 2002 blaster. I want to upgrade the headlight. I have an electrical background but I still get confused when their is not battery envolved. I want to remove the factory headlight & replace with a less than 40w light bar. Is that possible or will that require to much energy & I’ll have to install a battery. Thank u ahead of time

The stock stator puts out 35 watts AC. You will have to do what's called "float the ground". IllI see if I can find the right thread. Might be several you'll have to look through.

The search function works very well on here. Getting the right term might be tricky.

Be back later.

Like larry said, need to make the bike output DC instead of AC. Only way to do this is take the ground wire off of the stator, extend it up to a regulator / rectifier. Trailtech has a good option for that and a small battery.

Check out this thread, one of the better in depth how to's i would say! Once you have the ground floated, its a pretty straight forward process!

the stock stator is good for 55 watts, some say they can run DC LED strips and others say they flicker at low RPM's.
adding a rectifier and small battery fixes this. (this is where floating the ground comes into play)
check Trailtech for a rectifier and schematics to do this,
any small 12 volt lawn tractor, atv, bike, or even alarm system or emergency lighting batteries will work
there's even space for the battery under the seat

Unfortunately I would like to start this thread with... I’m a new member & a female. Lol. I’ve been riding for a long time. My recent purchase is an 2002 blaster. I want to upgrade the headlight. I have an electrical background but I still get confused when their is not battery envolved. I want to remove the factory headlight & replace with a less than 40w light bar. Is that possible or will that require to much energy & I’ll have to install a battery. Thank u ahead of time

Hi,
I'm new myself. I can't offer too much help, exept that if you can find any type of LED lights, they will save you much by way of electrical draw. I'm sure the Blaster can't handle too much of a load and LED's draw very little.
Good luck and post up what you wind up going with.
Sean