Headlight troubleshooting

FakeName

Nov 6, 2018
I just picked up an all original 91 Blaster (as you may have seen with some other, unrelated threads).

This thing has hardly ever had a wrench turned on it, but I discovered yesterday that the headlight doesn't work.

To be more specific…it doesn't always work. It seems to turn off and on whenever it wants. Turning the bars sometimes affects it. The light will usually come on with the bars at full left, but turn off when turning right.

I took the light and hood off to inspect and I'm almost positive the black wire leading from the harness to the light is pinched/damaged. Simply wiggling the harness around will cause the light to intermittently turn on and off. I can see how this may be problematic, as the loom that the brake cables and wires are routed through seems to put the wires in a bit of a bind when the bars at are full lock.

Am I correct that the black light leading to the headlight is a ground? If so….Any idea where the other end is? It disappears into the harness and I'm really hesitant to slice this up, as it looks so nice and tidy and original. I'd imagine the wire is broken somewhere, but no idea how far down. I'm almost willing to buy a complete replacement harness just to avoid hacking this one up. Electrical tape never looks as nice as the original loom does.

I guess my question is this…Where does the headlight ground wire go? If it's spliced somewhere nearby I can just try replacing this short section.

Second…is this an issue with these things? Is there maybe a better way to route the harness to prevent future damage?

Thanks

In case anyone wants to use this in the future I have an update

I poked around more and determined the black wire to the headlight is definitely ground. I still didn’t want to cut the harness back far enough to repair it, so I just ran a temporary wire from the black lead on the headlight to the coil ground. Works great for now but I still want to fix it right.

In case anyone wants to use this in the future I have an update

I poked around more and determined the black wire to the headlight is definitely ground. I still didn’t want to cut the harness back far enough to repair it, so I just ran a temporary wire from the black lead on the headlight to the coil ground. Works great for now but I still want to fix it right.

there's a 3 way soldered joint of black wires in the harness, right behind the frame cross bar, under the tank.
you'll need to unwrap the harness to get to it, or what you did will work just fine.....ground is ground.