hard decision

88' blaster

Sep 18, 2010
new castle pa
well i talk to ken. i really like the way xKroniK13x's port job looked so i ask ken to port and polish like his, and head mod. i asked also to put in a +3 crank. i totaled it up to about $800 for a complete top end rebuild with a port and polish, head mod, +3 crank. i dont know wether to do this or just get a new quad or dirt bike. i will be a 2-stroke of courseI:I i was eyeing down a 2011 yz 125 at a local dealer. but i was also eyeing down a 2011 yfz450 BB edition. so help me out what do you guys think

I think you need to have ken just fix your motor and get your quad in good shape and then go for performance. But that's my opinion. I have told you that before.

Well my thoughts are to send your motor to Ken, he will do the job correctly the first time, Then if ya want help installing it and jetting it I would be able to do that with ya.
That yfz450 is nice but when it goes down it will cost more than your blaster to fix! 4-strokes are ok, and easier to maintain, but when they blow, thousands not hundreds!

I think you need to have ken just fix your motor and get your quad in good shape and then go for performance. But that's my opinion. I have told you that before.

well if im send it to him to get fixed im just going to get the port job. while that is getting done, im working on everything else.

Well my thoughts are to send your motor to Ken, he will do the job correctly the first time, Then if ya want help installing it and jetting it I would be able to do that with ya.
That yfz450 is nice but when it goes down it will cost more than your blaster to fix! 4-strokes are ok, and easier to maintain, but when they blow, thousands not hundreds!

i can get any 4poke engine rebuilt for 250 labour my builders real cheap and does a good job

I'd get a YFZ, but I personally wouldn't buy a new one because 5 years from now you will realize you just flushed 4 grand straight down the drain when you try to resell it. See if you can find an inexpensive YFZ around you, you could go with that used. Just save up and have your mom help purchase that. Don't mind the 2 stroke people talking about how much it costs to "rebuild" a 4 stroke.....it doesn't cost that much if you do it yourself(just like a 2 stroke), and it's not a grenaded engine. If I go to a 4 stroke forum they will all say don't get a 2 stroke because it costs too much to rebuild. People express way too much favoritism. A typical rebuild on a 4 stroke barely cost any more than a 2 stroke rebuild.....been there, done that..........now if you grenade the engine and have to replace valves, clean the head, etc. then it's really no different than a 2 stroke grenading, pitting the head, having a piece of the skirt tear the hell out of the crank, etc.

Ultimately your choice on where you want to spend your money though. Nothing wrong with building the Blaster either if you gain some knowledge out of it.

decision making is over. i have made up my mind. a wiseco pro-lite piston kit and a ken oconner port job. with some vf3 reeds and my 30mm carb should do the trick for me. i sold my dirtbikes so i have a lil more cash to play with

:( hate to see a yfz be turnt down but all quads gotta have love. Sold mine a couple weeks ago and bought a trx :D but the only down fall is that both the blasty and the trx woulnt fit in the shed togeather :(

:( hate to see a yfz be turnt down but all quads gotta have love. Sold mine a couple weeks ago and bought a trx :D but the only down fall is that both the blasty and the trx woulnt fit in the shed togeather :(

looks like that 4poke trx is gonna be under a tarp outside, hahahahaaaaa

yeah man ken will do ur work right the first time and wont dick u like a mechanics shop. i have seen nothing but good things from ken. im still itching to eye mine, but im stuck in cali, if u get a 4 stroke, keep the blaster, buy one, thats what i wil do, i will always have a blaster in the garage and in front of the line too!