Hack job issues

Okay that helps a lot! It just throws me off with that primary test lol does anyone know WHY they have continuity to the ground?

Yes. A coil is two sets of windings. The primary set flows current to ground from the cdi output. If has a small amount of resistance in the wire its self to avoid a short circuit situation giving it some load or resistance to avoid burning up your output, or in the case of an atv, the cdi box. the secondary windings in a coil take the voltage and increase your 12 v to however many thousands of volts. The secondary coil has far mor windings than the primary and it is purely induced voltage. The primary and secondary do not attach together in any way shape or form, they are two coils of wire with one inside of another with a small amount of epoxy or insulator between them. Typically when a coil goes bad the insulation between the coils deteriorates and the primary and secondary create a connection and thus turning it into nothing more than a short circuit to ground.

Reactions: dirtysquared
Yes. A coil is two sets of windings. The primary set flows current to ground from the cdi output. If has a small amount of resistance in the wire its self to avoid a short circuit situation giving it some load or resistance to avoid burning up your output, or in the case of an atv, the cdi box. the secondary windings in a coil take the voltage and increase your 12 v to however many thousands of volts. The secondary coil has far mor windings than the primary and it is purely induced voltage. The primary and secondary do not attach together in any way shape or form, they are two coils of wire with one inside of another with a small amount of epoxy or insulator between them. Typically when a coil goes bad the insulation between the coils deteriorates and the primary and secondary create a connection and thus turning it into nothing more than a short circuit to ground.

Ahh the glory of being a diesel tech and not a gas engine tech lol... I still should know this though. Thank you. Safe to say if you lose a CDI box you might as well buy a coil as well?

It would be my asumption that the only load on your cdi is the coil and something had to make it go out. It is not common for a solid state alternating output relay to just "go bad". In my years as an electrician working on everything from robotics to conveyers to cranes i have only seen a couple go bad on their own. 99% of the time there is a cause for the effect. In your case from what i have read the only cause would be the coil

It would be my asumption that the only load on your cdi is the coil and something had to make it go out. It is not common for a solid state alternating output relay to just "go bad". In my years as an electrician working on everything from robotics to conveyers to cranes i have only seen a couple go bad on their own. 99% of the time there is a cause for the effect. In your case from what i have read the only cause would be the coil[/QUOTE

he did just rewire his hehe..:)

Alright got a new coil and CDI in it, local stores didn't have my B8EG plug I needed so I'm stuck with a weak spark now until tomorrow lol. But it fires now lol. It also has like 5 year old 32:1 klotz super and high octane fuel in it :/ sooo gotta get new

Napa sells b8es plugs. my local store has them in stock. And definately change that fuel.

Napa sells b8es plugs. my local store has them in stock. And definately change that fuel.

Is there a difference between ES and EG? I doubt it just wondering and awh common you don't wanna see what happens with this old fuel?!? Lol I think I'm gunna have to re clean my carb. The only complaint I have on that is the stock air cleaner boot doesn't fit over the mouth of the carb and I have to heat up the rubber to slip it on lmao

Well got it all good and running, didn't clean it good enough the first time so it won't hardly idle at a stop with the choke off. Gotta clean it again. Double checked what the carb was and it's a 38mm pwk keihin, it won't keep the front end on the ground so that's my next issue

38 is a huge carb for a lil ole blaster. stockers do really well untill you hit the mid 30's hp range from what i hear. maybe an extended arm would help it hook up without the lift?

Yeah I rode it again last night and had to get used to how to throttle it, it behaves a lot different than a stock bike but I think I can roll into it without it lifting up now

Got it fixed up completely, rode if for about an hour, and traded it for an AR15, then traded the gun for 550 and a 1978 xs750 yamaha.... Lol I'm bike less. But thank you for the info and the help in getting it running perfect! Oh and I still didn't count the teeth on the gears but I smoked my dads Can Am Commander on it. Hehe