got a 2001 yz 250 for my blaster

ITS ALIVE!!!

got my throttle cable in this week and finally got home to install...... i was nervous wondering if i had all the wiring and kill switches right but she fired right up on the second kick. she vibrates pretty good. im trying to upload a video now of it running. ill get some riding vids sometime this weekend

took it out for the first ride today and its a f'n beast....i could pull my buddies 450r pretty good. ran like a bat out of hell until it cracked the radiator. im a dumbass and made the lower radiator mount solid and it cracked right above that mount. so i made some new mounts for the rubber bushings and welded them in today and installed my spare radiator and will try it again tomorrow. also made a bracket to fit the yfz caliper on the stock carrier for now until i get a roundhouse swinger.

v48488.jpg

took it out for the first ride today and its a f'n beast....i could pull my buddies 450r pretty good. ran like a bat out of hell until it cracked the radiator. im a dumbass and made the lower radiator mount solid and it cracked right above that mount. so i made some new mounts for the rubber bushings and welded them in today and installed my spare radiator and will try it again tomorrow. also made a bracket to fit the yfz caliper on the stock carrier for now until i get a roundhouse swinger.

v48488.jpg

i noticed the grese nipple did u just thread it on and does make the bearings last much longer ? Gods dats kinda sad sutch a mad build and all is on bout is a fukin nipple hahaha

That's a sweet build. Can't wait to see some video. I'd like to hear if you have any frame/mount cracking issues in the coming weeks/months. That seems to be a common issue with these non counterbalanced 250 swaps. Sweet build though. Very clean/high quality work and parts from the looks of it.

almost made a full ride today until something broke....the left side mount i had for the cfm airbox broke on the frame and the boot kept popping off the carb but i managed to get a little video before we left. the motor is top notch and will rip your arms off and throw you off if your not hanging on i know i almost got chunked off a couple times.....only word to describe the motor is VIOLENT. i let one of my friends ride it and he didnt go far before he turned around and came back, he got off and just said nope and got back on his 3 wheeler. will wheelie every gear no problem. im running 14 40 gearing but i think im gonna drop 2 teeth on the rear sprocket and spread my gears out just a little bit. its only a matter off seconds before im in last gear. im only running 18's right now so that help too much. Ken did an outstanding job on the motor and i couldnt be happier with the motor. Just to let some of you guys know ken can do any motor out there 2 or 4 stroke not just blasters...he will be getting all my motor work from now on and my friends as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow man that is ridiculous!!! i love it, it makes me want to finish mine even more, wifes got me on a tight leash on spending though, uggg u loucky bastard, that is one sick ride bro!!

thanks guys.....the video doesnt do it justice on how hard it pulls. i had to kinda take it easy in the video because my boot kept coming off the carb and i was scared to get dust in there but im getting everything buttoned up and fixing some of the minor problems and ill try and get a better video. the vibrations is letting me know everything that is loose...even the nuts on the carrier vibrated off and i tighted the hell out of em before we left. a locknut is a MUST on every bolt on there if not it will be gone...with all the vibes i really cant feel em while riding.

2smoker my wife isnt too happy with the money ive spent on it but she cant say too much because i paid for most of the stuff when i parted out the yfz which i didnt wanna do but had too but now its almost done. i really hope i get my new swinger before too long because the stocker sucks arse.

for the other guys building a swap, the only advice i have is to put a locknut on EVERY bolt because it will vibrate out.

I am used to riding motocross and enduro bikes so I don't see anything
unusual in the vibration of a YZ250 or the 250SX motor in my Blaster.
It is a heck of a lot less vibes than my old FT500 Ascot that even came
with a counterbalancer. Had mine out for several multi-hour (3-4) tours and
my hands feel fine. No frame cracks so far either.

These bikes require Locktite on almost all the fasteners. The power and revs
put every fastener to the test. I even safety wire my kick starter bolt as well as Locktite it.

Had my Blaster out for a "blast" this evening. I know what you mean, it rips
through the gears in no time flat. Resist the temptation to gear it too high.
High speed (over 60mph) is a bit scary on these machines and you lose a lot
of low speed gearing. Makes it hard to get through the really rough stuff.
I have settled on 12/40 as it still gets me up to about 65mph and yet
can still barely crawl though the tangles.

229206_10150236712600803_549110802_9083952_5649659_n.jpg

I am used to riding motocross and enduro bikes so I don't see anything
unusual in the vibration of a YZ250 or the 250SX motor in my Blaster.
It is a heck of a lot less vibes than my old FT500 Ascot that even came
with a counterbalancer. Had mine out for several multi-hour (3-4) tours and
my hands feel fine. No frame cracks so far either.

These bikes require Locktite on almost all the fasteners. The power and revs
put every fastener to the test. I even safety wire my kick starter bolt as well as Locktite it.

Had my Blaster out for a "blast" this evening. I know what you mean, it rips
through the gears in no time flat. Resist the temptation to gear it too high.
High speed (over 60mph) is a bit scary on these machines and you lose a lot
of low speed gearing. Makes it hard to get through the really rough stuff.
I have settled on 12/40 as it still gets me up to about 65mph and yet
can still barely crawl though the tangles.

229206_10150236712600803_549110802_9083952_5649659_n.jpg

ive never had to locktite anything on my quads but i believe i will be on this one. like i said tho i can hardly feel the vibes when im riding. when its idling or revving up it vibrates pretty good, to the point when i first cranked it my tierods werent tight yet and it vibrated em apart. i bet i had 5 nuts and bolts laying on the ground from break in that were tight and vibrated right out. i aint saying the vibes are bad like it just sitting there shaking but you can definetly see pieces on the machine blurr when you hit the throttle.

im not wanting to re-gear because i wanna hit 75mph, im gonna re-gear because i dont wanna constantly shift. i want a little more to a gear than 2 seconds. im not a top end person but i like a good shift pattern. if i dont like the higher gearing ill just swap back to where im at now but i think a 38 or 39 tooth rear sprocket will be the ticket.

took it out for a ride last weekend and had a little carnage....been riding down the pipeline to our little track in the woods and everything was great until i got on the track. the is a little sweeping corner that i was hauling ass in sideways and apparently the left side lugnut had already worked off besides one and when i straightened up the tire went to wobbling like hell. before i could come all the way to a stop it had already wollered out the holes in the rim and bent 2 of the studs on the hub. walked back through the trail and ended up finding one lugnut.. hand tightened that one along with the one that was still barely on and limped it back in. thanks goodness that i can replace the aluminum center on the wheel or it would have been a disaster. got the replacement from hiper today and got that fixed now im waiting on another hub to get here....ended up getting one off ebay about as cheap to replace the studs. heres a couple pics. kinda hard to tell but you can see where the holes got wollered out and the studs got bent. other than that little mishap the motor is sooooo strong and feels like its getting stronger. ken did one hell of a job on the motor.

qzgkci.jpg

16jlk6u.jpg

hey man, how hard was it for you to get a hold of the guy at chassis fab? its so damn hard. i need my a-arms soon for my first race and have told him this. ugh!

he did tell me hes building you a rear swinger? whens the last time you talked to him? i never thought buying something would be this stressful haha