Float heights and how to adjust them

Thanks for all ur help guys. My bike is finally idling and no longer dumping fuel. I think I'm set with the 280 jet, just took it for a ride, although now my throttle is sticking and it wasn't before

The slide that sits on the top of the carb is sticking. Pop it off, check the spring, check the slide surface, and take a peek down the hole it was it. Make sure everything is clean and clear of debris. Also note the slide will go back together in 2 positions, 1 of which will keep throttle at 100% and obviously that's not the one you want.

after repeatedly looking for this info every few days, i figured i'd pack it up into an easily found thread........

the float height in your carb is critical to all jetting ranges and must be set correctly before any jetting or tuning can be done properly.

this is assuming you've already checked the rubber tip of the float needle, and proven it good, or used the toothpaste trick to clean the float valve. if either is questionable...replace them before proceeding to the adjustment

check your float height:
holding the carb on a slight angle, not allowing the floats to depress the spring loaded center needle, just rest against it, measure the float height, from carb body with gasket removed, to top of float like this...........
View attachment 11759

to adjust the float height:
slightly bend the center tab that the float needle hangs on, and remeasure.

bend it down into the carb for a higher float height measurement, and up for a lower float height measurement,
(the lower the measurement, the more fuel will be allowed into your fuel bowl, get it exact for correct fuel level)............

View attachment 11760

View attachment 11761

here's the float height's of the most popular carbs run on our blasters.......

26mm vm mikuni - 20-21.5 mm (stock carb)
28mm vm mikuni - 22mm
30mm mikuni - 23-25mm
32/34/36 tm mikuni - 18mm

30mm oko - 19-20MM.

keihin carbs -

2aj19o3.jpg

also see these threads for more good float info:

leaky float valve
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/easy-and-almost-free-way-to-stop-leaky-carbs.33335/

float video
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/carburetor-overflow-problem-vid.55600/
What is the clip position of the needle?

What is the clip position of the needle?

Are you asking what position the clip should be in ? or what it is in general ?

the needle determines 1/4 to 3/4 jetting, hangs out of the bottom of the slide and rides up/down in the needle jet in the lower carb body, accessed from up and out the top of the slide for clip adjustments
it has a clip and slots to adjust it richer/leaner, the stock position is in the middle of the 5 slots, or position 3 either way you count it up/down.
raise the clip to drop the needle leans it, lower the clip to raise the needle richens it.
the middle clip position has worked for me @ 1800-2400' elevation on stock up to ported and piped engines,
although it has been reported a DMC pipe likes it dropped one slot to richen the mid throttle jetting.

as Larry says :)..... your results may vary and should be confirmed with plug chops