Exhaust Leak

coffman121

Aug 23, 2013
Just bought a 05 blaster for my son and it has a full FMF exhaust. Where it attaches to the head by a spring it seems to be leaking a bit. Is there a gasket or something there I need to replace? Looks like it just slides up on another pipe that is bolted to the head ( like exhaust manifold ). Thanks for any help.

Just bought a 05 blaster for my son and it has a full FMF exhaust. Where it attaches to the head by a spring it seems to be leaking a bit. Is there a gasket or something there I need to replace? Looks like it just slides up on another pipe that is bolted to the head ( like exhaust manifold ). Thanks for any help.

are both of those bolts snug? not to tight just "snug" and make sure the spring is tight, if its still leaking use a little pvc gasket maker

Do you mean it's leaking where the header connects to the flange? I would recommend Copper RTV to seal it. I had the same problem with my FMF and that stuff sealed it right up you just need to let it sit for 1-2 days to cure.

sorry guys probably wasnt real clear with my description. It looks like the flange that bolts to the head has ashort piece of pipe welded to it and the FMF looks like it is just slid over it and thats were the leaks coming from. I will go to the garage and take another look...

Thanks guys, I just looked again and I just wasn't sure if something was left out when new pipe was put on or what... so if it continues is there something I can do?

The leak should not be allowed to continue, it must be sealed.

If the header leaks it will affect the breathing and upset the carby jetting, which may cause piston failure.

Yea just use the Copper RTV on the flange pipe piece and the inside lip of the header. put it together then let it sit for a day or 2.

I got a question. Why is the exhaust flange separate from the expansion chamber pipe? Could they be welded together?