Engine temperature

Nov 9, 2018
Hello peoples!! So, I have a fully rebuilt blaster 240, cfm air box, Vitos fat bastered pipe and exhaust. I have a 260 main jet and stock pilot jet. I'm doing my heat cycles and shes getting pretty hot. Like 260°. I've looked all over and cant find what the average temperature should be. If someone could shed some lite on this I would be very grateful. I also have a stock blaster and I checked that and it was up to around 260°. So...... Thanks in advance.

Hello peoples!! So, I have a fully rebuilt blaster 240, cfm air box, Vitos fat bastered pipe and exhaust. I have a 260 main jet and stock pilot jet. I'm doing my heat cycles and shes getting pretty hot. Like 260°. I've looked all over and cant find what the average temperature should be. If someone could shed some lite on this I would be very grateful. I also have a stock blaster and I checked that and it was up to around 260°. So...... Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure it's mid 2's to low 3's...

I was watching the ken oconor youtube video on breaking in a rebuild. He said get it up to operating temperature around 200°. I just wasn't sure if I should let it get that hot on the heat cycles. (260°-275°)
I'm sure it would have kept going if I let it. Didn't want to fry the damn thing, lol...

So, it's a freshly rebuilt engine. Was 200cc now 240 +3 crank and stroker. (Vitos)
Head and cylinder torqued to spec.
V- Force 4 reeds, CFM air box, Vitos fat bastered exaughst. 32:1 93 octaine pump gas. All new seals and gaskets. Did not do a leak down test. First time this engine has been fired up since the rebuild so as far as it running before, well it's never been installed till now so technically no it was not. I live on the Eastern shore of Maryland so..... gonna say sea level or damn close to it. Air temp is in the upper 80's with like 100% humidity. Hopefully that answers your inquiry. Would you say it's too hot at 275+?

A 260 maain seem way too small to me. I have a 310 in my stock cylinder, Tommey piped bike.

The Vito's Fat Bastard is a huge pipe. I have one on my 240 as well. I would think for a pipe of that size and a 20% increase in cc's, you would need a much bigger main. You are probably going to need to richen up the needle over stock as well. A lot of riding time is spent on the needel. The needle is apporximatley 1/4 to 3/4 throttle.

Search member “Best”
He had some FLIR pics of an engine. I don’t think that’s excessively high, but I agree the jetting sounds lean also.
Have you ever done a plug chop?
I see you haven’t done a leak down test. Why not?
Re-torque after heat cycles?

Yes re- tourqed the head.Just got the chain and sprockets yesterday. Vitos jet kit on the way. Got a few plugs to plug chop. Once I get the jet kit I'll put a bigger jet in and then plug chop. This build is so fresh I still havent even burnt a whole tank of gas yet so... I would post pictures but it dont work on the phone for some reason. As far as a leak down test, I feel pretty comfortable with all the seals and gaskets that I put in personally. She starts on the first kick and idles great. I was just curious about the temperature. Thanks!!