Engine noise and leak help

The primary drive gear. Moves in and out a significant amount.
The primary drive gear. Moves in and out a significant amount.
There are only 6 things on that side.
Seal, seal collar ? Keyway,balancer gear ( big gear)
Primary drive gear(small gear) and a nut.
You must be missing one .seal colar? Or one of the gears.
If all are present there will be no movment at all on gears.
I don't have a parts breakdown handy. Look up the parts breakdown on line.

Last edited:
For some reason it says I can’t upload pictures. Says the file is too big. Anyways I took the clutch cover back off and found the Nut to the primary drive gear completely backed off. It looks stripped too.. was I supposed to put like red loctite on it?? I don’t think I had the key lined up perfectly either. Live and learn. I noticed a good amount of metal coloration in the trans fluid. Hopefully nothing too severe

Last edited:
For some reason it says I can’t upload pictures. Says the file is too big. Anyways I took the clutch cover back off and found the Nut to the primary drive gear completely backed off. It looks stripped too.. was I supposed to put like red loctite on it?? I don’t think I had the key lined up perfectly either. Live and learn. I noticed a good amount of metal coloration in the trans fluid. Hopefully nothing too severe
How's the threads on the crank?
If good get a new nut and tourqe to spec.
Do not over or under tighten. Crank damage can occur. If it's not already damaged. Just stick a small piece of aluminum or something similar between gear teeth. To stop crank from turning so you can tourqe it

Threads seemed okay. I threw alittle loctite on it also. Seems good. Will let y’all know how it goes first ride. I do know I need to rejet it. It has a stock 230 main with a full fmf exhaust. Not too sure if I should have a 250 in her or not.

Threads seemed okay. I threw alittle loctite on it also. Seems good. Will let y’all know how it goes first ride. I do know I need to rejet it. It has a stock 230 main with a full fmf exhaust. Not too sure if I should have a 250 in her or not.
Most likely you will need bigger than that. 270 -300 maybe.you will have to plug chop to confirm.good luck . keyway still fit tight
Let us know.

Ok. 270 sounds like a starting spot. What about pilot and needle position? I ripped it around for about an hour and all seemed good. Gotta redo the adjustment for the clutch tho. No big deal tho. Def needs a good carb rebuild anyways.

Ok. 270 sounds like a starting spot. What about pilot and needle position? I ripped it around for about an hour and all seemed good. Gotta redo the adjustment for the clutch tho. No big deal tho. Def needs a good carb rebuild anyways.
Stock pilot
And stock needle. In middle position
Works with most pipes.
You ussualy want to start big on main jetting and work your way down so you are not unnecessarily running it lean.
Float and air screw set correctly?

Honestly probably not. I know the float isn’t right because it’ll flood the carb out on occasion. I haven’t even touched the carb I’ve only had it a month and had engine trouble already so that was kinda the back burner. But now that the engine is all sorted out I’m looking at the other things like jetting ect. The kid I got it from didn’t even have the pipe hooked up properly. It leaked at the head ect. Air screw is typically 2-2-1/2 turns out right?

Honestly probably not. I know the float isn’t right because it’ll flood the carb out on occasion. I haven’t even touched the carb I’ve only had it a month and had engine trouble already so that was kinda the back burner. But now that the engine is all sorted out I’m looking at the other things like jetting ect. The kid I got it from didn’t even have the pipe hooked up properly. It leaked at the head ect. Air screw is typically 2-2-1/2 turns out right?
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/carb-jetting-process-explained.48000/

Check this out.there are other jetting links too on the forum. Read it and it woll give you a better understanding on jetting
Before you start jetting:D. Glad to hear it's up and running.

The carb was flooding out bc the float was never fully closing off fuel flow. Thing runs flawless from 3/8-WOT. Now from idle to 3/8 is not as crisp as I would like. And backfires it seems. Like it’s too lean. Maybe lift the needle one?

The carb was flooding out bc the float was never fully closing off fuel flow. Thing runs flawless from 3/8-WOT. Now from idle to 3/8 is not as crisp as I would like. And backfires it seems. Like it’s too lean. Maybe lift the needle one?
What height did you set your float at?
Did you set your air screw correctly? Screwing it in richens the circuit .
Out leans it out.
The needle should be fine.is it in the middle slot? 1/4 to 3/4 throttle is on the needle and slide. I would look at the air screw.
No airleaks?