Engine noise and leak help

Michael11

Apr 7, 2019
Hi all, I’ve been around a bit looking for someone with a similar issue to me. I picked up a 04 blaster the other day. Ran great. Zippy as could be. Until I was riding along and noticed my tires flat. So I stopped. When I fixed that issue I started the quad and it was “vibrating violently” it seemed. Shut her down and it sounded like for a good 5-7 seconds something in the crankcase area was still spinning. As well as it began leaking tranny fluid out the middle of the case...Any ideas? I’ve tore the engine down, head cylinder ect. Everything looked okay. Rod has zero up and down play and the side to side was within spec.. any ideas would help a lot. Thanks

Hi all, I’ve been around a bit looking for someone with a similar issue to me. I picked up a 04 blaster the other day. Ran great. Zippy as could be. Until I was riding along and noticed my tires flat. So I stopped. When I fixed that issue I started the quad and it was “vibrating violently” it seemed. Shut her down and it sounded like for a good 5-7 seconds something in the crankcase area was still spinning. As well as it began leaking tranny fluid out the middle of the case...Any ideas? I’ve tore the engine down, head cylinder ect. Everything looked okay. Rod has zero up and down play and the side to side was within spec.. any ideas would help a lot. Thanks
Pull clutch side cover.and see if clutch basket is falling off. Or anything else..check. All gears for play or loosness.
As far as the leak you will have to clean case good to determine where leak is coming from. Check for case damage.
It's possible that whatever is making the noise could have damaged the case. Hopefully not.

Pulled the clutch cover. Everything so far looks good. No broken gears ect. Only thing I’m thinking is the crank counter balancer..

Pulled the clutch cover. Everything so far looks good. No broken gears ect. Only thing I’m thinking is the crank counter balancer..
That will make it vibrate. It can break the case also.
Did you physically grab the gears and check for play? All gears meshing evenly? One not
In or out more than the ine it meshes with.

I’ve checked everything. I really didn’t wNna split the cases but it’s looking that way. The only thing I did notice was the main drive gear was loose. Like not fully engaging with the gear beneath it all the time. Maybe that is an issue too?

I’ve checked everything. I really didn’t wNna split the cases but it’s looking that way. The only thing I did notice was the main drive gear was loose. Like not fully engaging with the gear beneath it all the time. Maybe that is an issue too?
If main drive gear is loose . you probably found your problem area. Crank broke?

Nothing wrong with the crank. I’m just lost as to what caused the fluid to leak
Why was the gear loose?
Does balancer gear move in and out ? If balancer nut is loose it might have sheared the keyway?
Is there damage to the case? If balancer comes unglued it. Can break the case and if on crank side can get in crank area.
May not be your problem? Only way to find out is by close inspection and disassembly.

So this is my diagnosis. I was riding and the but came loose to the counterbalance. Causing it to not spin which caused a vibration. Something took a chunk out of the case where the oil inj pump is. Causing it to leak fluid..

So this is my diagnosis. I was riding and the but came loose to the counterbalance. Causing it to not spin which caused a vibration. Something took a chunk out of the case where the oil inj pump is. Causing it to leak fluid..
That bites. Did the counter balance nut fall off all the way. It must have sheared the keyway for the balance shaft. There is a good chance you will have to replace the balance shaft,keyway,and gear.
You would have to split the cases to replace balance shaft. Is the case damage on clutch cover? Or actual case?

Mine either puked the gear which took out the bearing, or vice versus . Which trashed the right side case :mad::(
That’s how I know it shakes like a whore in church. Or a DemonKKKrat in church

Reactions: Slydog
Not the actual case but rather the clutch cover. The section that blocks the trans fluid from the oil injection pump. Had a hole in it about the size of a quarter. I looked and saw no signs of other damage: key way was fine ect. Maybe last owner rebuilt it incorrectly?

Not the actual case but rather the clutch cover. The section that blocks the trans fluid from the oil injection pump. Had a hole in it about the size of a quarter. I looked and saw no signs of other damage: key way was fine ect. Maybe last owner rebuilt it incorrectly?
If keyway was fine it should still be in time and should not vibrate. Which key were you talk about? Primary drive gear or counter balance? Both need to be in place.and timing marks on. Primary and counter shaft gears must be aligned

Key way was fine but the gear was soo lose that the key for the keyway wasn’t in place which allowed the gear to spin freely.

The gear does move in and out. Is it not supposed to??
Which gear are you referring to?
Primary gear should have no play.
Counter balance may have slight play in gear itself as it's not a solid gear.
If it has alot of play it might be time to replace it. Check rivets to see if they are loose.