Emachine = ErrorMachine

burndout

Jan 23, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
My inlaws had an Emachine that they were gonna throw away because it wont boot up, I can get into the bios and tried to reset everything to system defaults to ensure no one made any changes, then attempted to run safe mode with command prompt, restore to previous working condition, debug, and everything listed in the safe mode options. After the XP Windows splash screen come up the bar at the bottom fully loads and then the computer restarts and cycles unless you manually turn it off. I had downloaded and burned a repair disk but I wasnt exactly sure how to set up the disk, in the end it would not load when booting even though i set the primary boot to the disk drive.

Google search says that the power supply goes bad on these, I can get to the voltage screen in the bios but im not exactly sure what they should all be. The 12v is reading 11.59v - wondering if that is enough?

Anyone have any ideas? I would love to have this machine store all my music and movies, thanks!

Yes the gateway e machine is a pile of crap(ErrorMachine is more like it lol). they have an internal issue inside the power supply that causes it to short out causing major mainboard issues and other issues like frying everything. Now im not certified in computer tech but i have repaired over 50+ computers in the past few years and have found the issue your talking about seems to be a BIOS issue, It may boot up but once it comes across the system file thats corrupt the computer crashes. Best bet is to get a windows xp disk(assuming is xp) and put it in your drive. restart you computer and hit any key to boot from disk(once you made it past the F2 and F10 screen. this will allow you to reinstall or repair the current copy of windows.

My best thinkin would be to re format the drive to reinstall windows on it. But if you want to store music on it "I wouldnt trust it to save it all, Becuase the power supply may short therefore causing all your media to go By By".

Dont get me wrong gateway makes great computers but the E-machine was a flop. If you want a good gateway look into a Gateway E series not E-machine. The E series was originally developed for large business and schools. they make excellent home work stations and are very durable.

what size is the hdd?send it to me and ill save all your files and send them back to you on dvd's or cd''s and keep the drive.lol
could be bad sectors in your hard drive i recomend scanning it with hdd regenerator.
or it could be faulty ram.if its your power supply.take it appart and look for poped capacitors
just my 2cents worth

what size is the hdd?send it to me and ill save all your files and send them back to you on dvd's or cd''s and keep the drive.lol
could be bad sectors in your hard drive i recomend scanning it with hdd regenerator.
or it could be faulty ram.if its your power supply.take it appart and look for poped capacitors
just my 2cents worth

Its always good to save the files you need or want.

thats true.me i personally dont bother because it would take way too many dvds to burn and the time to burn em.@1382gb of space i only have 494gb free and thats on my primary hard drive.so i had to uninstall alot of games because it just keeps filling up everynite lol.what i need to do is get another tb hdd and get rid of the lil ones.but i rather spend the extra dough on blaster parts I:I

your problably looking for popped caps in the power supply box. look for either blackend ends or loose wires. but typically since your 12v supply has right around 12v of power your power supply is fine. After some research and some talking with a few friends, Im pretty sure its the HardDrive either having an error with it or the Os having an internal error. you can fix the harddrive/OS and your computer will run again.

ok, everything in the power supply looks good, where do i start with repairing it? i have the xp key for the repair disk, just no disk. If I download and burn to a disk is there any special way it should be burnt? Isnt there like an Autorun something that has to be on the disk? I'm at a loss for what I need to do, but have my laptop, burner, and disks. Can you give me a play by play?

you need to make a image disk then boot up from it.

1.Download the ISO CD or DVD image to a folder on your computer.
2.Insert a blank CD or DVD in your CD-RW drive.
3.Start Windows Explorer.
4.Locate the ISO file, right-click the file name, and then click Copy image to CD to open the ISO Recorder Wizard.
so you might need to download a iso burner

Antex, what files am I downloading? Ive searched everywhere looking for the XP recov and cant find it. Ive tried to download 4 disks and I comes up on the emachine that it is reading the cd drive but then jumps to the XP screen and reboots.

Fubar 2 is probably on thepiratebay.org, its illegal of course to download movies :)

@burndout
the piratebay should also have xp.if im correct every xp boot cd's have recovery mode on em.(should say repair my computer).first make sure you boot from cd other wise your computer will keep trying to boot to windows.so youll have to go into bios to change the boot options first.on my computer i have to keep pressing delete till the boot screen pops up.but yours could be one of the F keys.(just reread your post)
i actually had a similar problem on a old laptop.the friggin thing would crash just before installing a new copy of xp.i found the problem and it was caused by overheating.