Dyno graph pic

Strokedtater, This little bike is a hill shooter. It will likely run only run at Pismo Beach, Sand Mountain NV. It might make it to the track at ATOKA, OK- "jus-4-fun".
Next Blaster on the agenda is a bigger version, on alky. Strokedtater, how long swinger have you built? :)

i have built swingarms from +2's to +10's depending on the setup.

We have had a setup like this one running at Sand Mountain for 5 or 6 years that has run well, but this is the first one that we have got to dyno tune. What kind of ET has yours run? I am guessing you run 300FT. We have many Hondas that have made it to the track after dyno tuning, but not any Blasters.

i have only raced on 300' sand 2 times in my life. here in pa everything is 500' dirt. fastest it has been yet is a 6.7 @ 83 mph 500' clay based dirt surface. BLAIR BEDFORD DIRT RACERS INC.

at busco beach this year, 300' sand, there were some issue's with tuning and an airleak. ran a pile of 5.0's. my bud who has the same engine, same builder, in a stock frame ran some 4.80's, right out the trailer, 0 tuning. he beat the track record for blasters, previous record was 4.90.

what does yours pull out there?

interesting thread, thats pretty crazy numbers.. where do u clamin to get the poweer? is it ur headwork, porting or pipe? i understand making power is a package deal but to get that much there has to be one BIG change in there someplace

Reactions: 1badazzblaster
this is totally possible and shearer makes good/great drag pipes -just not good midrange or trail pipes ,power coming on around 7 grand and up is not a trail play motor ,making a small single put out big numbers is tricky business ,you get a powerband much like a modern 125 dirtbike ..all or nothing .i dont doubt the graph one bit ..only issue is theres twice the rolling mass in a typical blaster setup and that often poses a challenge with a narrow high curve coming on later being able to get off the line in the real world wit han adult rider .even true banshee 350' have hit 100rwhp on a dyno ,it is just done over a narrow range with high durations often robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak ..is it the fastest at the track ..well not always .all that aside hes done a great job wit h this for its size . in my experiances usually the track and real world is a better testing method than the dyno if your hunting for most usable power for the application . you just got to keep it in perspective ..a dyno is a tool for testing a valuable one ,and its nice to see others show their results like Nate is doing here .

I would be awesome to see a dyno on a all stock blaster motor VS your motor and a list of all the mods you did to get the power.... Is the dyno at the rear wheels or at the sprocket????????

I agree with this ... until it is compared against a bone stock blaster on the exact same dyno there is no reference point

ummm he showed that already pickled... right under bronco's post

Here you go: 2005yfz450 well tuned(blue), our blaster(red), stk blaster(green)
Attached Thumbnails

welcome to the site Nate and thank you for sharing those dyno runs with us, very interesting stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site!

I see you have mentioned some different pipes for the blaster that are not available yet. Would this happen to be the jaws line?

Thank you lil3mil. And I agree with Flotek. It is easy to make more peak power while narrowing the power-band, to a certain point. And it is also true that more peak power over a narrower power-band is often slower in the real world.
In a racing application, the power-band width must exceed the demand for the transmission spacing at the bare minimum. For example. if the gears have a 2000rpm drop in an upshift, the power that the motor produces over that rpm range will determine acceleration. But it's not so simple.
It is essentially impossible to shift at the optimal range every gear, every time. We call this the human error factor. Based on data acquisition, we have concluded that we need another 1000rpm, even in drag applications for most riders. So now we are looking at 3000 rpm of usable power band to make that same motor perform well on the track. Now add the variable of trail, or woods style riding where you can't shift at the optimal time, and we have to add more range to the picture.
If that is not challenging enough, the dyno tests are not often harsh enough to simulate the heat-soaked, real-world conditions that the motor will be run under in the middle of a ride. So the dyno testing method has to be done in a manner that will simulate the real world best as possible.
In general, we want to evaluate the power over 3000rpm on a drag motor, and 4000 on a trail motor. The picture then becomes clearer about what really works.

Welcome to the site!

I see you have mentioned some different pipes for the blaster that are not available yet. Would this happen to be the jaws line?
Jaws is a leading Snowmobile pipe manufacturer, and has nothing to do with Shearer. The dyno run posted is not a Jaws pipe. (Although we did test one, that made 42hp, and a pile more torque, but it was not designed for this type of motor). Maybe that answers the question?

Thank you lil3mil. And I agree with Flotek. It is easy to make more peak power while narrowing the power-band, to a certain point. And it is also true that more peak power over a narrower power-band is often slower in the real world.
In a racing application, the power-band width must exceed the demand for the transmission spacing at the bare minimum. For example. if the gears have a 2000rpm drop in an upshift, the power that the motor produces over that rpm range will determine acceleration. But it's not so simple.
It is essentially impossible to shift at the optimal range every gear, every time. We call this the human error factor. Based on data acquisition, we have concluded that we need another 1000rpm, even in drag applications for most riders. So now we are looking at 3000 rpm of usable power band to make that same motor perform well on the track. Now add the variable of trail, or woods style riding where you can't shift at the optimal time, and we have to add more range to the picture.
If that is not challenging enough, the dyno tests are not often harsh enough to simulate the heat-soaked, real-world conditions that the motor will be run under in the middle of a ride. So the dyno testing method has to be done in a manner that will simulate the real world best as possible.
In general, we want to evaluate the power over 3000rpm on a drag motor, and 4000 on a trail motor. The picture then becomes clearer about what really works.

i hear ya there.. especially on this 500' setup.

Jaws is a leading Snowmobile pipe manufacturer, and has nothing to do with Shearer. The dyno run posted is not a Jaws pipe. (Although we did test one, that made 42hp, and a pile more torque, but it was not designed for this type of motor). Maybe that answers the question?

A pile more torque is a fantastic thing!
Never ran a shearer so I can't say anything about them. Was just curious about what " new brand" if ya will, would be a possible alternative for us owners. Be nice to find a cost effective, performance custom pipe for each application/motor setup, I know dream on!
I'm not into draggin my blasty, Just a trail riding mofo. But there are alot of fast ass draggers on here who know what's up!

Your knowledge and experience will be a welcome addition to this site! Thanks-Bob

I agree that A. G. Bell needs his book re-written. It's been outdated for about 20 years, I think. For what that's worth.lol
A couple other facts: the motor is stock cylinder, but it's 68mm bore. Not that that is critical, but it needs to be mentioned if it was missed.
Then, my experience is that Alky is potential worth about 6-7% on all of our motors. And the stroker crank will be about 4-5hp. Then the big bore will only be worth about 2-3hp, imho. So that will total about 9-12hp. And that seems realistic to me. Again, only time will tell.
Now as to the existence of the 47hp motor whose dyno sheets have been posted, I assure you that it does exist. And if you would like to see it first hand, I am willing to show it. I am even willing to take it to someone elses dyno. What else would be reasonable? :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
do you mind going into a little detail about the porting? timing? boysen intake ports? sub exhaust ports?

A pile more torque is a fantastic thing!
Never ran a shearer so I can't say anything about them. Was just curious about what " new brand" if ya will, would be a possible alternative for us owners. Be nice to find a cost effective, performance custom pipe for each application/motor setup, I know dream on!

Your knowledge and experience will be a welcome addition to this site! Thanks-Bob

Pipe testing is relatively easy. And we will test about every pipe that has a likelihood of working, or someone thinks will work, in most cases. And I am still willing to test on this motor.

But pipe development is not easy. Each pipe configuration will work better with certain setup than others. So the variables are nearly limitless. That is why some pipes won't work for some people/setups, and will for others.

Remember most Blaster pipes are designed to work at least "OK" on a stock motor. Those pipes are at an inherent disadvantage to a pipe designed to work on a drastically improved cylinder/setup.

I know 47hp sounds like a lot, but as far as we are concerned there is still much testing that has potential for gains. If not in peak power, there is usable power gains to be had still, imho.

As to specifics, I have to preface my comments by saying that can not give away what I use to feed my family. I will say that the porting is extensive. There is material added to both sides of the cylinder (intake/exhaust), and a lot taken out too. :)
The head has no welding, but it is significantly reconfigured. The head gasket is eliminated, and replaced by a viton o-ring. Not for performance reasons, in that we can get the same head configuration with a gasket. But the o-ring is reusable, and that has it's advantages on a test motor.
The jetting range on the pipes tested was 145-170 main, and the 39pwk liked a large pilot (68) and rich needle (custom). Ignition timing was advanced a couple degrees on the dyno runs posted, but some of the pipes would have liked less timing for sure.

What we hope to test soon: A Blaster intake, and V-force reed, and another pipe along with some ignition alterations. All these things might be worse, but need tested nonetheless. :)

Pipe testing is relatively easy. And we will test about every pipe that has a likelihood of working, or someone thinks will work, in most cases. And I am still willing to test on this motor.

But pipe development is not easy. Each pipe configuration will work better with certain setup than others. So the variables are nearly limitless. That is why some pipes won't work for some people/setups, and will for others.

Remember most Blaster pipes are designed to work at least "OK" on a stock motor. Those pipes are at an inherent disadvantage to a pipe designed to work on a drastically improved cylinder/setup.

I know 47hp sounds like a lot, but as far as we are concerned there is still much testing that has potential for gains. If not in peak power, there is usable power gains to be had still, imho.

As to specifics, I have to preface my comments by saying that can not give away what I use to feed my family. I will say that the porting is extensive. There is material added to both sides of the cylinder (intake/exhaust), and a lot taken out too. :)
The head has no welding, but it is significantly reconfigured. The head gasket is eliminated, and replaced by a viton o-ring. Not for performance reasons, in that we can get the same head configuration with a gasket. But the o-ring is reusable, and that has it's advantages on a test motor.
The jetting range on the pipes tested was 145-170 main, and the 39pwk liked a large pilot (68) and rich needle (custom). Ignition timing was advanced a couple degrees on the dyno runs posted, but some of the pipes would have liked less timing for sure.

What we hope to test soon: A Blaster intake, and V-force reed, and another pipe along with some ignition alterations. All these things might be worse, but need tested nonetheless. :)

The o-ringed head is a great advantage! :) This is also with stock intake (reed cage)? WOW! Amazing how these little 200cc monsters can put out the power with the right combo! I'll stay tuned!

thanks! i can respect that. this responce is what i thought i would get.

good stuff!! so in your opinion is there a inframe pipe on the market that is suited for a worked blaster motor or is a custom made unit a must have?