Dt200 motor swap (pics)

went hard at'er and got it together

5x61kw.jpg

5d9ird.jpg

2poo3nc.jpg

still need the rad hoses and the antifreeze, good setup keeping the blaster gears but no powervalve :(

Why no PV? 15 15 15 15

There was no powervalve servo or wiring on this engine as it was bought.
Makes the swap easier with no wiring or battery needed.
He got the top end swapped over, waterpump side cover and the rad on in an evening.
May install a powervalve servo in the future if we pick up another bike.

There was some talk of needing a different plastic gear for driving the waterpump.
All the DT sidecover parts seemed to swap onto the Baster with no problem.
The crank and clutch gears seemed to be the same size on both engines.
Is there something we are missing here?

Right now I have the KTM 250 Blaster sprocketed 3mph faster than his aircooled Blaster.
I may have to sprocket up a bit after this...
But then, with his brakes it is better to have him in front of me!

229206_10150236712600803_549110802_9083952_5649659_n.jpg

Good answer I:I. So is the PV rigged in the open or closed posistion? Not to sound dumb :D , But is it possible to rig it to a manual control, so you could open it if you were on like open trail? :-/

Good answer I:I. So is the PV rigged in the open or closed posistion? Not to sound dumb :D , But is it possible to rig it to a manual control, so you could open it if you were on like open trail? :-/

the power-valve is just set wide open for now and you could rig it but there may be another way other then by hand

It runs!
Hope I am not stealing Triplecrowns's thunder, but he got it all together this afternoon and we went for a run.
It runs hard, noticably harder than the stock Blaster, but more peaky probably due to the fixed open powervalve.
It was no problem keeping it in the powerband, and it ripped along pretty good.
Jetting was an issue, requiring much richer. Don't know why, but weather is very cold here at -7C, so that is an issue too.

Hard to tell if the single rad will do, it worked fine in this cold weather. The DT200 has never overheated in slow trail riding. We'll see.
Bike is a bit quieter I notice. Idles excellent. Tidy installation. MUCH easier install than an MX engine like I did.
I did a piston quench gap test and it is very open at over 0.060" (my lead size) so lots of power and torque improvement room there.

I think there is some possibility of using backpressure to open the powervalve, running a line from the pipe to a large diaphragm to open the spring loaded valve.
Any idea what the typical backpressures are at mid range and full throttle?

got some better pictures

25grjx3.jpg

i5t7ro.jpg

15duxad.jpg

2r465vk.jpg

the bike is running better with the dt carb and a 340 main jet. another added bonus with the swap is the boost bottle. hard to squeeze it on the aircooled motor due to the large cylinder and head.

very nice work guys !!!!!!! < assuming best helped with this

i have seen a throttle cable actuated PV valve set-up somewhere, it used a dual cable twist throttle, lemme look for it

very nice work guys !!!!!!! < assuming best helped with this

i have seen a throttle cable actuated PV valve set-up somewhere, it used a dual cable twist throttle, lemme look for it

Not much help, mostly spiritual support and a tiny bit of welding.
It was a surprisingly easy swap actually.
This early 84 DT200 has the same primary drive ratio as the Blaster,
maybe the later DT200's have the different primary ratio and need the different plastic pump drive gear?

I think a fella could do something with the injection pump aux cable running the valve.
Closed valve at closed throttle and full open at WOT. That would do the trick.
I think you may have a good idea there AWK.

Hard to believe it was a "no snow, good riding day" this morning.

Steve

ypvs-mecanico-dt-200_iZ1XvZiXpZ2XfZ12014648-1-2-O.jpgxIM.jpg

_fotoProduto_foto_YPVS+MECANICO.jpg

That is the mechanical ypvs system that some people use in south america. I think you may have gotten some rare oddity with the pump gear lol. That's awesome you had no problems with that portion of the swap. Makes me wonder if the pump failed and the owner replaced the pump gears,clutch,and primary with the dt125l/c mk1 gears. That's awesome, adding that to my list of possible part replacements. $140 is an absolute steal. If the market wasn't so slow those parts would easily fetch over a grand.

lol yea they used to show but its been awhile so the uploading site might of lagged on them or something.

the bike worked awsome for while........ till it popped the exhaust side of that damn CAST piston..X(. ended up splittin a crack in the bottom end and ruined the cases.
I think it was a case of alittle to many RPM's and motor getting alittle hot. i should of upgraded from the simple little dt radiator but this works awsome for what it was..... it blow on a hot summer day in a sand pit....i may have been abit hard on it, i was out with a banshee..:p

The head and cylinder are still mint tho didnt get damaged in the carnage.... luckly
plan do use them again someday. One wild set-up.

Dang, hate to lose those pictures, do you have them on your computer? I should have copied and saved them...

And who are those girls, and do they have single moms...

Dang, hate to lose those pictures, do you have them on your computer? I should have copied and saved them...

And who are those girls, and do they have single moms...

lol. yea i still have the pictures on my computer so thats good. hard to keep it all togeather sometimes.

i just thought do you have those pictures from when i converted my truck to standard. Ive always wanted to see them and remember taking a bunch when i did the swap.......Laura......