Drag blaster Build/IMO Durby

DUALSTROKE

Giving away free clues
Technician
Mar 2, 2008
masshole
I decided at the end of last racing season that I was going to build another drag blaster for a 14/15 year old kid that races with us. His family is very involved and he is a great kid and always helps out. A little behind the motivation was I had brought my red/white trail beast with me to run in the trail class last racing weekend of the season. I was approached by him and asked if I would sell it and how much. As much as I was happy he loved it we all I know it is my second wife and it is not going anywhere. lol I told him I would have to have no job, no money ,no house, and hit rock bottom in order for me to even consider selling it. This was on a Saturday so I offered for him to run it on Sunday in the trail class and he could pilot it all he wanted. He was super happy and had a blast all day with it. After talking with him I decided to build him a dragger to be competitive in the top class. I am building it, I own it, I do all maintenance and fuel costs. He pays race fees and pilots it. Not a bad deal and makes me happy to see such a good hearted young man smile. Let the build begin.:D Most know my current green dragger racing number is in memory of Mike Dupont Jr #971. After seeing Mike Owens "Durby" have such an unfortunate accident I could only be honored to make this in memory of Durby. Going to try to keep it close to Mike's lt250 colors, incorporate a # that was his, etc. Also a big thanks to Ken, wifesblaster, jus me, and anyone that I have stolen parts off of for this build. Thanks brothers!! Well I will follow that long story up with some pics of my progres so far.

I couldn't cut up my spare 03 frame so after a search on CL got this one for $40.
2pybbpi.jpg

After a visit to the Jenny Craig clinic

14icwvc.jpg

Some 4130 chromoly showed up:D

wimx51.jpg

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this build. Can't wait to see it come together. The look on the kids face is going to be priceless!

Looks good. Would adding some lightning holes in the lower a arm mounts help to reduce some weight? Front, top and rear. It wouldn't weaken it I don't believe.

Was a nice weekend so finally had some time to get it coated.

Cleaned and stripped ready for primer:
t8srk5.jpg

Primer on:
28wf8ec.jpg

Painted. Black just llike Durby's lt frame:)
2pys42h.jpg

awesome do it for Durby
Thanks Harley
I've been waiting for this build. Can't wait to see it come together. The look on the kids face is going to be priceless!
Thank you sir for all the parts. You are a big help to the smiling he is going to be doing.I:I

Looks good. Would adding some lightning holes in the lower a arm mounts help to reduce some weight? Front, top and rear. It wouldn't weaken it I don't believe.
Thanks,I thought of it for sure. I am lightening the front hubs quite a bit,chromoly struts,etc If I was on it maybe,but I would rather be safe knowing I have the future of the sport piloting it. Maybe next season I will do a chromoly front end and finish the diet it needs on the front. I also have all the material to make a lightened stem.

Looking good! That's really awesome that This Dragger is going to be dedicated to Durby. His memory will live on:)

I do have some extra stock parts laying around also, If you need something,and I have it, its yours.

Looking good! That's really awesome that This Dragger is going to be dedicated to Durby. His memory will live on:)

I do have some extra stock parts laying around also, If you need something,and I have it, its yours.

Thanks bro, I appreciate the offer!! Hopefully I am good with stock parts but as always theres always something missed.

Looking good Ian. Hope to make it out to see it run this year.

That would be awesome Mike. I will bring the army of blasters I own and you all can raceI:I

Looking good Ian !
holy heim jonts batman

and you got all that done this weekend while texting with me the whole time too.....
A+ for multi tasking :)