Disconnect TORS on 2005 Blaster

HarleyHud

Dec 31, 2014
Can someone point me toward the thread on how to disconnect the TORS on an '03 or later? My quad starts but bogs down when you try to give it gas and does not run well on little throttle. You have to rev it fairly high to get it to pull away and does not respond well on 1/8 throttle. I was thinking that disconnecting the TORS may help. I am sure you guys have covered this topic a thousand times but thoughts on this would be appreciated.

here ya go, it basically just involves finding the yellow/black stripe wire and solid black in the 2 wire connector at your CDI/TORS unit under the hood, and cut/connect them coming out of the unit to fool the electronics that it is still functioning

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/03-06-tors-removal-diy.41973/

BTW, if the tors was malfunctioning, you'd have no revs past about 1/4 throttle.
look elsewhere for your problem, like clean carb & airfilter, set floats and airscrew, leakdown test, new plug, ect.
all those have DIY stickies at the top of the engine and carb sections

Thank you. Do you have any pics of how to do this??

You can now remove the wires and switch from within the thumb throttle you will not need them.

i got this pic if it helps at all:)

carb plus idle 1 1 1 big 1.jpg

Thank you. Do you have any pics of how to do this??

You can now remove the wires and switch from within the thumb throttle you will not need them.

pics are in the link I posted above, once cut/connecting the wires as shown, there is no need to remove anything else, as the circut is disconnected from all throttle and carb switches, but you MAY remove them

if your talking about thumb throttle/cuz im not sure what you are asking.??
if you do completly remove the wires there will be a hole to allow water in....so you will need to plug it:)

a good way to see about the tors acting up put the parking break on/clutch lever/side and see how it sounds then lol...much worse ....if it will start at all if your carb is out of whack lol:)

I am sorry for not being clear. I was really wanting to know if the switch had to be removed or could be left as i was also thinking about how i would have to plug the hole to keep water out. Sorry for the confusion but thank you for the help!!!

you can unplug parking break wire completely at both ends/clutch lever and under hood.
disconnect wire on top of carb/splice it/connect ityellow to black.
cut splice the thumb throttle connecter splice it conect yellow black.
soo pbrak wire just unplugged/unplug thumb throttle splice behind the remainig connect/unplug on top of carb/splice remaing connector black/yellow.

thumb throttle take the screws off top/thers is a rubber piece and wire thingy....leave the rubber in there and plug it with whatever you can...black rtv works good

or cut wire flush with throttle...ect

Last edited:
BTW, if the tors was malfunctioning, you'd have no revs past about 1/4 throttle.
look elsewhere for your problem, like clean carb & airfilter, set floats and airscrew, leakdown test, new plug, ect.
all those have DIY stickies at the top of the engine and carb sections[/QUOTE]

The only thing above that I have not checked is a leakdown test. Guess I am going to need some help with a little more mechanical ability than me...

but i think your carb is dirty and not adjusted properly...dirty airfilter..ect
got any pics of this blasters carb????

I completely cleaned and rebuilt the carb and put a brand new air filter and cage on the atv (was missing when i got it)

list mods...
does it have stock exhaust?
what plug type?
compression test?
aircrew setting?
oil injected or premixed?
you can unplug the p brake wire right know/no splicing:)

parking break.jpg

list mods...
does it have stock exhaust?
what plug type?
compression test?
aircrew setting?
oil injected or premixed?
you can unplug the p brake wire right know/no splicing:)

View attachment 14058

FMF exhaust and silencer
BR9ES
No compression test
Air screw 1.5 turns out
Premix now but only emptied out oil premix tank (no kit installed to block)
What is the benefit of just unplugging the parking brake?

nope.
BR8ES....THE BR9ES IS A COLDER PLUG
and that pipe requires like a 280main jet around there/there is a lot of variables in jetting:)
sometimes the little metal plunger thing gets stuck/it has to be closed all the way to not engage the tors system.
you can even unplug it on the clutch lever bars/hold it all the way in with your thumb and start it to check it/and even let go of it and see what happens lol.
and your sucking in unwanted air/by not plugging the injection nipple at carb/right hand side by exhaust:)

you need a vacum plug on carb/get them at a auto parts store 2-3 bucks

get rid of that plug and get a ngk br8es/or b8es

Sorry, I am running a BR8ES as called for in owners manual and also have a 280 main jet installed as well. Not sure what you mean by the little metal plunger thing? Where is that located?

Bear in mind that any changes in the air flow, temperature, elevation, humidity, and oil ratio, may need different jet requirements confirmed by a plug chop.