Decoding ENGINE numbers NOT FRAME NUMBERS

itstyler

Jan 20, 2011
Ive searched high and low on the net and basically every time somebody has asked this they have not got a helpful response. So i think it would be good to sort this one out.

Can you find the year based only on the numbers on the crankcase? No responses about frame numbers needed please thats not whats being asked!!!

So to be clear again because everybody ive asked has not got the questions I DO NOT NEED A YAMAHA FRAME VIN DECODER!!!! I need to know how to research engine numbers.

i always thought the #'s on the engine were just a serial # identifying that particular engine for dealer/warranty identification.
what would there be to decode ?, every blaster engine is identical

Well I can't find it, however my blaster parts file has these numbers with certain years!

D701E34B-orig_zps83d72804.jpg

i always thought the #'s on the engine were just a serial # identifying that particular engine for dealer/warranty identification.
what would there be to decode ?, every blaster engine is identical

Im thinking your right and there is no info to be found in these numbers. Ive been through lots of motors but never thought much into the motor numbers. But i recently bought one from SOMEBODY and it turns out its not an 03 like he thought im just trying to figure out how old it is.

Im thinking your right and there is no info to be found in these numbers. Ive been through lots of motors but never thought much into the motor numbers. But i recently bought one from SOMEBODY and it turns out its not an 03 like he thought im just trying to figure out how old it is.

those beginning #'s slick posted obviously point to a year, the others ....serial # ??

I have seen the engine serial number "ranges" (the numbers the serial number begins with into groups) in the front of the factory service manual, I believe.

It's like the "first 4 digits run from 19XX-19XX" sort of thing.

What about this one? This is off an 04 yamaha r6 Please help

Attachments

• engine vin.png
    engine vin.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 4,447
try adding vin on frame then vin on engine then search web?
it is preety much a dummy number that only the manufacture knows and wont tell you or available on web lol
i have yet to find 2 that match together i think they are unique in each other,yet what do i know i dont work for them and i'm not based out of JAPAN:D
i really dont know but trying adding the 2 together..cuz there is no info on web at all it is a conspiracy:eek:

or goto a parts dealer website and see what year parts have the same part numbers is your best BET.And or look for parts that you know will only fit certain years of YOUR ENGINE PART NUMBERS that you obtain on your machine there has got to be at least 1 that is unique in its own;)

thank I'll try that and see if anything works and reply with an answer when I find out