Damn good feeling.....

piezzi

Mar 19, 2008
......when you've done a few off-season mods yourself and you get it all back together and it starts right up and runs great just like it did before. I:I

Just did some simple stuff: zip-tie mod, throttle spring mod, flex jet, carb clean, built an outerwears airbox lid cover, and did the oil mod (sent case to J&T).

I couldn't wait to fire the beast up tonight after I had finalized the motor prep Sunday night by adding the fluids...oil, fuel, antifreeze....air filter, new tusk clutch stack and some HD clutch springs sprinkled in with the OEM springs.

I was reading the Yamaha service manual and learned that I could test that my new oil pump was funtioning by unscrewing a tapped bolt in the engine head. This was great info to know (hello J&T), and as the manual said, I had oil pumping at exactly 60 seconds after it fired up ;).

I adjusted the clutch so the pull felt right, but I haven't ridden it yet. So I'll ride it around the neighborhood this weekend to see if all's well. Once I get all the plastics, bumpers and skids back on the frame......I'll do a 'classic walk around' video so you can see what I'm working with.

stay tuned Blaster bros and YFZ fans........

[UPDATE]Here's my YFZ: VVVVVVVV

2005 YFZ450 Walk Around - YouTube

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
how are you liking that YFZ?

It's a 2005 and I think it's a bitchn machine. I picked it up at the beginning of this year after I traded a boat for it. So I spent the first half of last season on my blaster and then moved to the YFZ.

The 2000 blaster I've got has been a great AND reliable quad for me and I love it for what it is as much as what it isn't. The YFZ is just a completely different class of quad all together. I found my mainly stockish 450 (piped, jetted, no lid) to have a plush ride and endless power with a peppy disposition. It can climb anything and mows threw the sand easily with just rear nobbies.

I've started the first part of this season again on the blaster......but I'm get'n the itch to have my arms ripped off by the 450 here soon. I feel fortunate to be able to have both quads and I love them both for different reasons.

Next up for the YFZ is tuning/swapping the suspension so I can get into some bigger air assults ;).

cool stuff man, I'm thinking about getting another quad in the next year or so and letting the lady friend ride the blaster. I love the thing but it does have its shortcomings, and for the current investment....I could have bought a mildly modded YFZ

Yeah....you can get pretty deep into the $ with any toy, but I've been see'n some pretty good priced 2004-2007 YFZ's pop up lately.

yeah, I have seen a lot of good quads for fairly low dough lately. I do like the simplicity/power delivery of the 2 stroke though. maybe an old honda 250r would be in order

I thought about going the 250r route, but in the end I wanted a newer quad because of my concerns about frame fatigue on an older 250r.

Man, im really jealous of you. My goal is to have a nice mildly modded yfz and my orange blaster. I cant see myself selling the orange one i just love it to much and when it runs right it is such a hell of a ride.

UPDATE: Walk around video added to post #1 above ^^^^^^

I have not joined YFZCentral, 98BB. I lurk over there from time to time.....but haven't signed up yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truthfully, I like this forum a lot better cause the people are friendly, knowledgable, helpful.......and most of all, got their egos in check. Most forums I visit are all about the local trolls with huge egos and so a lot of posts go un-answered cause they can't be bothered. I like this forum 'cause there's not many pissing contests....and when the pissing starts to build up, the Ban Hammer comes down swiftly. All of these things make for a better atomosphere for everybody......including noobies.

I've thought about joining Central repeatedly, but I don't have the need yet and the community doesn't stand out as overly friendly or helpful. However, I've learned a few things from the site and I may join in the future.

What do like about Central '98?

I like all the info that can be found there in the stickies. Some of the guys there are really helpful too. Plenty of sponsors, great deals, and cheap parts. I like it but egos do get rather large.