Crank collar seal vid

scotj77

Feb 11, 2010
Orlando, fl
Well i've answered this question a few times and it is hard to type this all out so i made a short video today of how to seal an airleak between the collar and the crankshaft. Just make sure you install it with the side with the sealant on it towards the crank. Hope this helps

nz2c0o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sicivicdude
It should be noted that this is for blaster's that have a seeping leak between the collar and crankshaft on the clutch side. This won't fix a leaking crank side seal, just a leaking collar.

"Ultra Copper" and "Ultra Grey" both work well. The grey dries a little more firm than the copper and the copper handles more heat but neither the firmness or heat resistance will affects eithers ability to seal the collar.

Greenz! for the idea.

the collar is frozen to the crank when you tighten the gear up. so that collar spins with the crank inside the seal. that is why the collars get the two groves from the seal

Hold on a minute lol. Your saying the collar spins with the crank. I thought the crank spins inside the collar. I thought you were suppose to put a little yamabond between a new seal and the collar to seal that up good.

nope. stop and think about the parts that are on the crank shaft on the clutch side. the collar slides on to the crank shaft and thechampfer meets up with the taper on the crank shaft then the key goes in place then the main drive gear slides on and presses directly against the collar, which is seated against the crank. then the balancer drive gear goes on and is held on by the nut. when you torque the nut down it locks the two gears and collar all together. yes it is possible that the collar could spin on the crank but not likely, if the crank spun inside that collar it would eventually wear those parts. If you take a close look at any collar with a lot of use (including the one in my video) there are groves worn in it from the seal. just think about how long it would take for a piece of hard rubber and plastic to rub groves into hardened steel. that alone should tell you the collar spins inside the seal

can i do it to both sides cuz i have tried it and it is still leaking

sounds like you need a new collar, as it is probably grooved from the seal riding it for years.
and a new seal should fix you up

sounds like you need a new collar, as it is probably grooved from the seal riding it for years.
and a new seal should fix you up
i have a new seal but its leaking through the middle of the coller

its a used crank is there a way to seal it ???

you could try removing the collar and putting a light coat of yamabond on the inside to seal against the crank ?
gotta let it sit overnight to cure before trying to start or even rotate the crank

Slide the collar off the shaft, completely clean all oil or other suff off.

Spread a little bonding agent on both the crankshaft and the inside of the collar.

Leave until the bond starts to get tacky and fit the collar, and button everything else up.

Leave overnight to cure, should stop the leak.