Correct Tuning

joe allen

Apr 15, 2020
I am new into two strokes and am seeking some advice. i recently bought a 2004 blaster with a 240cc vitos 3mil stroker kit, a mikuni 33mm carb (230 jet i believe) vforce reeds and a fmf gold series fatty pipe with a fmf powercore 2. The bike isnt reving out properly and doesn’t have any torque. it doesn’t feel like it hits powerband at all. im at around 700ft elevation. i ordered new reeds and a new high performance coil. i don’t know if that will fix it but i would like to know if anyone out there has similar problems or knows what i should do. any advice is helpful like i said i don’t know how to tune a two stroke.

I am new into two strokes and am seeking some advice. i recently bought a 2004 blaster with a 240cc vitos 3mil stroker kit, a mikuni 33mm carb (230 jet i believe) vforce reeds and a fmf gold series fatty pipe with a fmf powercore 2. The bike isnt reving out properly and doesn’t have any torque. it doesn’t feel like it hits powerband at all. im at around 700ft elevation. i ordered new reeds and a new high performance coil. i don’t know if that will fix it but i would like to know if anyone out there has similar problems or knows what i should do. any advice is helpful like i said i don’t know how to tune a two stroke.
First thing should be to pull plug and see what color it is . don't guess on the main jet.
Get the numbers of pilot and main jet. And write it down.
Buy a 4 pack or more of spark plugs.
Look up plug chops
And carb tuning on forum it will explain the correct procedure. Float height. Air screw. Needle position. Main jet.
That way you will have an understanding before attempting to dial in your carb.
Any questions ask. There is alot of knowledgeable people here to help

First thing should be to pull plug and see what color it is . don't guess on the main jet.
Get the numbers of pilot and main jet. And write it down.
Buy a 4 pack or more of spark plugs.
Look up plug chops
And carb tuning on forum it will explain the correct procedure. Float height. Air screw. Needle position. Main jet.
That way you will have an understanding before attempting to dial in your carb.
Any questions ask. There is alot of knowledgeable people here to help
thank you very much

Reactions: Slydog and Awk08
X-2 on plug chop/read. However looking at the used plug will still have important information such as glazing, pitting, burning, soot/carbon, ALUMINUM BALLS (melting piston)

would the bike suddenly smoke more if the rings are shot?
It may smoke more with worn rings.

Alot of smoke that stinks could also be your clutch side crank seal. If seal is bad it sucks tranny oil into crank area and is burned with gas mixtureA. 2t leakdown test could confirm if seal is bad.

what jets should i run in a mikuni 34mm carb at 700ft elivation?
i currently have a 240 main and a 50 pilot

what jets should i run in a mikuni 34mm carb at 700ft elivation?
i currently have a 240 main and a 50 pilot
Look up.Jetting numbers...the solution

Or what jets are you using
There is a list of people's mods and carbs and what jets they are using.
And that will give you a starting point. Every bike is different . you have to jet to your bike

alrighty i ordered new jets im gonna try around a 260 main
just seen you have a fmf pipe. You will need to get some bigger main jets. 270-310. Is ussualy in the ball park with the fmf exhaust. And those numbers are with a stock bore. You need to order more jets and get some new plugs to do some plug chops to confirm jetting. Be careful riding until you get it jetted right. Or you could damage the engine if it's to lean