Converting to led lights!

Look at the specifications of the lights. What voltage or voltage range does it accept? 12v dc only? 12-24v? I have even come across led lights that run off a wide voltage range and even ac or dc...

Most new tech led lights have a semi intelligent management system to control/drive the high power leds ( any decent system SHOULD! )

Alternatively, a 20amp bridge, 4700uf cap and lm338 should do the trick... It is rated at 5 amps. Also keep the stock shunt regulator, it helps limit dissipation in the linear regulator

Look at the specifications of the lights. What voltage or voltage range does it accept? 12v dc only? 12-24v? I have even come across led lights that run off a wide voltage range and even ac or dc...

Most new tech led lights have a semi intelligent management system to control/drive the high power leds ( any decent system SHOULD! )

Alternatively, a 20amp bridge, 4700uf cap and lm338 should do the trick... It is rated at 5 amps. Also keep the stock shunt regulator, it helps limit dissipation in the linear regulator

Reactions: ilm121209
be ready for people to start screaming. but you dont HAVE to float the ground. if you wire the rectifier regulator like im about to explain, if saves you the hassle for the time being. and then if you replace it later just get one with a floated ground and run the one extra wire.

to avoid having to float the ground wire the RR like this
yellow wire 1: yellow/red stator wire
yellow wire 2: frame ground
red wire: battery +
black wire: battery -
red/yellow wire: power feed to electrical items you want to automatically turn on when you start the bike. kind of pointless on a blaster

the important part here is that your 12vdc ground at no point comes into contact with the frame or motor ground which is used for the 12vac current. you have to run a secondary 12vdc grounding circuit (i would suggest even using a different color wire or black with a stripe so you dont get it confused with the other wires in the bike and run that to all of your electrical items. i will work, and then next time you replace the lighting coil, run the new wire from the floated ground to the "yellow wire 2" on the RR

Reactions: 79 bronco
Thanks for the good information guys! :)

I like the Trailteach regulator/rectifier, BUT it has a voltage adjustment dial, and delay adjustment shutoff dial, and i DONT need that.
My lights are 12v, that is all i need, and it not like i cant kick start it if i forget to turn my lights off and kill the battery.
I dont need a the two dial because its just 2 things that may go wrong or break or just allow water to get in to the regulator rectifier.

Are there any GOOD simple regulator rectifier?

What do you guys think about this one? its simple, but is it good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sports-Part...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d163ae217&vxp=mtr

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good information guys! :)

I like the Trailteach regulator/rectifier, BUT it has a voltage adjustment dial, and delay adjustment shutoff dial, and i DONT need that.
My lights are 12v, that is all i need, and it not like i cant kick start it if i forget to turn my lights off and kill the battery.
I dont need a the two dial because its just 2 things that may go wrong or break or just allow water to get in to the regulator rectifier.

Are there any GOOD simple regulator rectifier?

What do you guys think about this one? its simple, but is it good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sports-Part...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d163ae217&vxp=mtr

Yes it's extra stuff you don't need, but if you cap the red/yellow wire and leave the dials alone it won't affect you. They won't cause early failure. And its one of the best aftermarket RRs i have come across. Just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
Light mount!
104_7900.JPG
104_7901.JPG
104_7902.JPG

Reactions: bummer981
Will a Battery Eliminator Capacitor work with the Trail teach regulator/rectifier?
I found two at the bottom of this page VVVVVVVV http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/...PN=Batteries_and_Capacitors.html#a040_2dCAP56

says in that description.....

"Capacitors take the place of batteries in DC electrical systems. They store energy, then release it if the vehicle power drops momentarily. Will not provide power if the bike is turned off."

i would say that will work

says in that description.....

"Capacitors take the place of batteries in DC electrical systems. They store energy, then release it if the vehicle power drops momentarily. Will not provide power if the bike is turned off."

i would say that will work

I know it takes the place of battery, but is there any reason that the Trail teach regulator/rectifier may not like a capacitor?
I dont want to Kill a Trail teach regulator/rectifier because for some dumb reason it dont like a capacitor!
The capacitor is smaller and can fit under the hood better. I think?

I know it takes the place of battery, but is there any reason that the Trail teach regulator/rectifier may not like a capacitor?
I dont want to Kill a Trail teach regulator/rectifier because for some dumb reason it dont like a capacitor!
The capacitor is smaller and can fit under the hood better. I think?

it's offered for sale by trail tech, i'm assuming specifically for their reg/recs ?
call them up and ask

Take a good look at that website, its from the UK. >> http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/cgi-local/sh000001.pl?WD=capacitor&PN=Batteries_and_Capacitors.html#a040_2dCAP56

Now take a look at this website, it the place i get my stuff from and i cant find the capacitor. ???? http://www.trailtech.net/electrical/electrical-accessories

that UK link doesn't open fully for me ?
but if i click the "products link" it takes me to a site with trail tech vapors, x-bars, the same trail tech lights i have, and their other products available on the US site.
http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

just call them, and have your credit card ready :)

personally, if i were to go thru the trouble of converting to DC, i'd have a battery.
would come in aweful handy to have lights without the bike running, if it were to die in the darkness.

Reactions: JWBlaster
personally, if i were to go thru the trouble of converting to DC, i'd have a battery.
would come in aweful handy to have lights without the bike running, if it were to die in the darkness.

A battery could come in handy, but im thinking about room for it, and the right capacitor could be a lot smaller.
Im going to put the Trail teach regulator/rectifier, battery, and Nology coil under my hood.
I will probably have room for the battery, but a smaller capacitor is a easier fit.

I dont know why i did not think about this before now but if i use a battery then i can add a 12v water proof accessory power sockets cigarette lighter plug things to my blaster. Then i could charge cell phones, run a 12v air pump, power a spot light, or mount a 12v oven to the sixpack rack so we can make Monkey bread on the trails for a snack. lol :rolleyes::p;):D

Reactions: bummer981 and Awk08
I dont know why i did not think about this before now but if i use a battery then i can add a 12v water proof accessory power sockets cigarette lighter plug things to my blaster. Then i could charge cell phones, run a 12v air pump, power a spot light, or mount a 12v oven to the sixpack rack so we can make Monkey bread on the trails for a snack. lol :rolleyes::p;):D

monkey bread on the trails !!!!!!
that's thinking with your dipstick Jimmy :)