clutch problem

nofxfan125

May 9, 2009
Freeland, PA
My blasty has a nice little problem with the clutch. When I pull the clutch lever, the clutches don't disengage. The handlebar lever is pulled as far as the lever on the case will allow it to go, so there's still room left to pull in the cable. Now that I have the clutch cover off, I can see that when I pull the handlebar clutch lever, the large shaft (that the push rod attached to the pressure plate goes inside) slightly moved out, but the small push rod that goes inside that shaft does not. I'm not sure if that little tiny rod is supposed to push out. Another thing I am not sure of is if the tiny rod is supposed to be able to be removed from the larger shaft. When I took out the 5 screws on the pressure plate, the small push rod came right with the pressure plate. I did not have to take the nut off the end of that little rod. All in all, my clutch won't disengage enough for me to comfortably shift. Ask questions and I can clarify anything I am unclear on here. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

First you need to check to see if the little ball is still there. It go's between the two rods. Make sure the clutch arm on the motor lines up with the mark on the case. Take your clutch cable off the handle before you adjust it.

Alright, do I need to take the other side of the case off to get at the other rod? All I have right now is the small outermost rod that goes through the pressure plate.

Take a long skinny philips screwdriver and a good magnet. Stick the magnet on the shaft rite below the handle and stick the end in where the rod go's and pull it back out. If the ball is in there, it should stick to the end of the screwdriver and come out. If you see it , you got it. If you don't see it, time to get one. Stick some grease in the hole then put the ball back in.You shouldn't have to pull the big rod.

Now this started happening all of a sudden. It's not like it never worked before. It did work good at one point. Would the ball just wear away? Why would it just disappear? I was just up the garage messing with it and the push rod does not move out at all when I pull the clutch.