Clutch issue i think...

maddmaxx

Sep 4, 2018
Hello all, first time to post here i think.

Just got a 2002 blaster for my 15 yr old but the bike has a couple issues.....brakes need rebuilding, no big deal as i can do those. However, this problem is a bit more complex. Starts and idles fine, goes into all 6 gears smoothly but when running it the engine is revving up thru the gears with very little speed.....so i believe its time for a clutch kit.....i just noticed tho that the bike has an upgraded Magura hydraulic clutch shifter kit on it which i am not familiar with at all, anyway my point is that the lever has a ton of play in it and the arm at the base of the engine barely moves and yet it shifts smoothly. So should i just worry about the clutch basket and parts or do you all think the hydraulic shifter is the problem. thx for any help,

Max

this could be a few things .... worn clutch discs, grooved clutch basket fingers, internal rod adjustment, the clutch cable (stock cable or cable from hydro slave cylinder) is holding the arm to far forward

disconnect the clutch cable from the actuator arm,
lightly push the arm forward with your fingers until it stops, the actuator pointer should be aligned with the notch on the case as seen in the pic below,
if it is not it needs an internal rod adjustment (download the manual from the general support section for diy adjustment)
minimum clutch fiber thickness is listed in the manual to check for wear with calipers
while in there inspect the outer clutch basket fingers for grooves which hold the discs from open/closing completely (they can be lightly filed smooth, or replace basket)

18901-71faf45eeadec58d7ff874476edcb3b9.jpg

Reactions: OConnor Racing
this could be a few things .... worn clutch discs, grooved clutch basket fingers, internal rod adjustment, the clutch cable (stock cable or cable from hydro slave cylinder) is holding the arm to far forward

disconnect the clutch cable from the actuator arm,
lightly push the arm forward with your fingers until it stops, the actuator pointer should be aligned with the notch on the case as seen in the pic below,
if it is not it needs an internal rod adjustment (download the manual from the general support section for diy adjustment)
minimum clutch fiber thickness is listed in the manual to check for wear with calipers
while in there inspect the outer clutch basket fingers for grooves which hold the discs from open/closing completely (they can be lightly filed smooth, or replace basket)

18901-71faf45eeadec58d7ff874476edcb3b9.jpg
Thank you, I appreciate the reply, will check this out