Clutch basket play

Blaner

Your Friendly South African Ambassador
Mar 26, 2008
East London, South Africa
is this too much play? i found that a piece of my kicker spring went through the gears and damaged the one tooth on the basket, could that have caused this damage? i heard the knock dscussed in http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/transmission-knock-37163/index2.html#post459752 the same day as the spring broke. is the clutch basket a two piece unit with rubber cushions as is the balance shaft gear?

Input required plz!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that the clutch basket has too much play in it like that.

The basket is pinned to the gear. Billet clutch baskets don't come with the gear... they are the basket and 3 bolts to screw the basket to the gear.

You can try removing the clutch basket and repinning the pins to tighten them up or you can try to purchase screws.

The balancer shaft drive gear is usually somewhat loose. They ride on rubber bushings which get beat out over time. Nothing out of the ordinary to have a little play/ noise from that.

do you reckon the clutch basket is the source of my knock? i clearly knocks when moved by hand, under decel it would do it too surely, as the load is released, sort of like a diff whine?

The rivets that are on the back of the basket have worn out the holes.
It's not good but on the flip my 74's have been like that for years.
I highly doubt that thats the noise you are hearing.

The rivets that are on the back of the basket have worn out the holes.
It's not good but on the flip my 74's have been like that for years.
I highly doubt that thats the noise you are hearing.

any thought on what else could be causing this disturbing knock?

Piston slap from a worn piston, worn lower or upper rod bearings, it could be pinging from too low of octane fuel.
How many hours are on your crank and piston?
Did the noise just start or has it always done it?

Piston slap from a worn piston, worn lower or upper rod bearings, it could be pinging from too low of octane fuel.
How many hours are on your crank and piston?
Did the noise just start or has it always done it?

brand new wisco and rings, rod and bottom bearings have about 4 hours on them. they are good. cyl/bore clearance 0.07mm

In that case I'm lost. Is there any way you could make a video?

posted vid in other thread, also posted link at beginning of this thread, http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/transmission-knock-37163/index2.html#post461148

HOWEVER, to close this issue, whipped the top off and found the left wrist pin clip had come out and the pin was floating, knocking on the cylinder wall, chalk one up to human error, my old man put them in, only thing i didnt check after he did it. i was checking something in the manual while he put the clips in, seems he slipped up guess he is getting too old for this! real pity, was a brand new top end! DAMN!

On the bright side you adverted catastrophic failure be proud that you took it on yourself to investigate.

CASE REOPENED!!

well, topend is sorted out, put clutch and balance gear as well as primary dive gears back, got it going, ran it in, but alas, the knock is still there, im convinced its in the gbox now, it definatley not the top end.

thoughts now thats its isolated to the bottom? crank bearing are good, no up or down play on rod, runout is to manual spec. balance shaft turns nicely, no roughness, when turned by hand the internal clusters turn freely too, im at a bit of a loss here guys, all i found was that clutch basket play as well a imprint on one of the teeth from where it ate the kicker spring. also the clutch shaft that the push rod goes into has end play, about 3mm. but that doesnt move when its all bolted up...

It's possible that when the main gear and clutch basket gear got together and made the mark on the gear, the gears were forced apart and created too much lash. If the case half is cracked behind the input shaft end bearing, it would let the primary (crank) gear and clutch basket not mesh right and sound like a loud clunk.

Sounds like it will have to come apart to find the source of the problem.

yes, the only thing i can think of is that in order for the piece of spring to fit through the gears, something has to move, the spring bit was not deformed at all, its tough! so i was thinking the only thing that could have moved is the clutch basket with its two part system? i have not yet entertained the idea of a cracked casing, didnt notice anything, i did inspect thouroughly but i didnt split the cases because i found the wrist pin issue, thought it would end there.

do you think its ok to ride until it gets worse or something else goes wrong? i have a number of enduros coming up, 1st is on 2nd april. whats worst case scenario?

i rode it for about half hour today and its running hard, performance is good, got a solid leak test and 150psi comp. nothing in the motor is older than 18 months.

ps, the input shaft has no side play, only a bit of end play, so if casings were cracked, im sure i would have noticed it. only play i find is with the clutch basket engaged, as in the vids

That clutch basket play is normal, mine is a little more than that, and I have no knock. It sure does make a distinct sound on de-cel. I'm gonna go and see if I have any in an out play on the clutch basket, I think that shouldn't be. I have my cover off give me a minute!