Carburetor smoking

Joewaldr

Oct 30, 2018
Hows it going first time posting took me forever to figure how... took a blaster motor in on trade a few years back so it sat in my garage for a while until I decide to build one so it's a complete frankenquad. Unsure of any years. I finally finished the quad motor makes great compression no crazy smoking out exhaust or anything has completely redone clutch, wiseco basket tusk clutch h.d. springs etc etc.. I have it running great now however it seems to be running hot, after ripping it around for abt 20 min or so it starts to die out and i notice the carb starts to smoke.. not sure what the culprit could be.. has new everything.. carb, dual stage carbon reeds, pro circuit expansion chamber, everything except head and bottom end as they were fine.. could it be my premixed? I'm running 93oct 32:1 with royal purple 2 stroke mix any help would be greatly appreciated

Royal purple good oil and 32to1 is what i run in all my bikes so yer mix is fine Awk may have an answer other than that i neaver had one running hot other than over idoling

Royal purple good oil and 32to1 is what i run in all my bikes so yer mix is fine Awk may have an answer other than that i neaver had one running hot other than over idoling
Appreciate the quick response. I may just be going crazy but it seems like after it's running for a bit if it stalls or I shut it off it dosent want to start again until it cools down.. which i can't figure out especially because it getting cold now.. I'm not positive

sounds like an airleak or lean jetting ?
don't run it again until figuring it out
I have leakdown testers if ya need one, $40 shipped

what was the "great" compression ?
what is the current compression after these episodes ?

start at the bottom and work up thru the jetting ranges....

float height ?
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/

airscrew setting ?
should be around 1.5 turns out then fine tune to achieve highest idle
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/

needle clip should be in middle slot

what other mods ?
that pipe alone requires at least a 260/270 main jet, increase for filter, lid off, mix vs. injection, colder temps, lower elevation, etc.
main jet in it now ?

plug chops to determine main jetting
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-plug-chop.53237/
buy 270 thru 310 mains, start large and plug chop down

float height ?
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/

airscrew setting ?

what other mods ?
that pipe alone requires at least a 260/270 main jet, increase for filter, lid off, mix vs. injection, colder temps, lower elevation, etc.
main jet in it now ?

I haven't done an actual compression test on it I can start there when I get off work and check back in later same goes for a leak down, as for the jetting I purchased a brand new carb online as the one that came with motor had top threads stripped off so its definitely stock jets so the netting may very well be my issue that along with the ghetto muffler I have on it definitely dosent help, I ordered a new pro circuit muffler to pair with exp. Chamber other than that it's mostly stock airbox and intake besides the dual stage reeds, I pulled the spark plug it didnt appear to be running lean however I ve only ran it around the back yard for maybe an accumulative hour or so so that's not enough to really foul the plug to noticeably.. so in your opinion I should start with comp test and leak down and if all check out then go through the jets and needle height? What numbers should I be looking at in terms of comp? Like I said I'll have to double check my jet sizes but they should be stock as it's a new carb so I may very well be pretty lean

Also the dual reeds with expanshion chamber if ya havnt bored or changed jets could couse the prob
Yeah I'm hoping it's something simple like a jet issue I've already invested too much into the quad I'm never gonna make my money back so I figured might as well enjoy it while I got it

What pipe and other mods do you have?
What main jet?

Reeds have little to no effect on jetting other than V-force4 sometimes need a bigger pilot jet

What pipe and other mods do you have?
What main jet?

Reeds have little to no effect on jetting other than V-force4 sometimes need a bigger pilot jet
Its a Toomey or something like that but it was gutted by previous owner so i packed it with glass packing and rigged a nose on the end just as a temporary pipe until the pro circuit one comes in it should be here by next week hopefully

you speak of packing, do you have the full toomey or pro circuit pipe or just silencers on stock pipe ?

you speak of packing, do you have the full toomey or pro circuit pipe or just silencers on stock pipe ?
I have the Toomey muffler on the pro circuit expansion chamber.. but the muffler is pretty much trash it was hollowed out by the previous owner he kinda just threw it in when I bought a roller to fit the motor off of him.. I've already ordered an actual silencer I went with the pro circuit 304 pipe to pair with exp chamber

float height ?

airscrew setting ?

what other mods ?
main jet in it now ?

Okay so I finally found some time to be able to mess around with the blaster... and I have nothing else to say other than you were absolutely right.. i did a leak down test and failed miserably it was pissing out from a couple different spots, mainly from the intake boot and exhaust Gasket found both gaskets to be shot.. so I replaced both of them and as of right now it's been holding 12 psi for a little over an hour now... so that was definitely a major issue of mine.. some more good news my pro circuit pipe came in today so I got that mounted up and got rid of the hack job of a muffler I had on there and decided while I had the carb off I'd clean it out and check jet sizes... did a little research and to my dismay I realized when I bought this carb last year it was in the height of my build so I was strapped for cash and I definitely cheaper out.. I realized for whatever reason I purchased the cheapest one I could find which is a 25 dollar nimtek 28mm... not sure why I did.. i just have to chalk it up as an amateur mistake... so while I'm here I figure I should probably get a better more reputable carb.. any recommendations? I'd like for this thing to be done done no matter the cost. I was thinking the keihin pwk33? But figured I'd ask the pros before i spend more firvolously

Awk is such a help i tell ya i neaver talked to him and fixed alote my stuff just reading his post my blaster runs great after complete rebuild motor carb all but now its time for looks cause its ugly lol have fun im on a 1990 yz 250 yamaha dirt bike project now and parys ate hard to find

Reactions: Awk08
Awk is such a help i tell ya i neaver talked to him and fixed alote my stuff just reading his post my blaster runs great after complete rebuild motor carb all but now its time for looks cause its ugly lol have fun im on a 1990 yz 250 yamaha dirt bike project now and parys ate hard to find
Yeah man absolutely.. it pisses me off that it took me this long to ask for help lol but like I said amateur mistake haha.. and ohh I'm all to familiar with that, that's actually how I got my blaster motor initially a few years ago.. I had an 87 yz250 with a blown head that I traded a golf cart for, it had a blown head and I dunno how familiar you are with them but 87 is the ugly duckling year there were no interchangeable parts from other years so after searching for a while I opted to try and sell it and that's when I got my blaster motor amongst other things, best of luck too yah

I figure I should probably get a better more reputable carb.. any recommendations?

Yep, get another used, good shape, stock 26mm mikuni carb
it'll work best for the moderate mods you have

Yep, get another used, good shape, stock 26mm mikuni carb
it'll work best for the moderate mods you have
Awesome thanks for all your help, do you think stock jets will work or should I order a jet kit while I'm at it ?

Duno i went 1 up on my jets wene i did my carb couse im bored 1 over with vito reeds and and a high performance exhaust and it runs great very good high and low end performance i also have a intake expanshion plate

Hmm decisions decisions.. I just remembered I still Hve the stock carb lYing around somewhere so I may just be able to get the tors eliminator but then I'd have to drill and tap a spot for air mix screw correct? I'll have to double check what I have but I think it was just the tors that was stripped out.. regardless I'll have to figure something out lol

Air mix screw should be towards bottom of carb on left side i did the tors remove kit on mine
Yeahh I realized after I typed it I meant idle screw.. thatll be a project for another day I was able to dial in the current carb I have on there now at least for now.. my air mix was only turned out about 3/4 a turn but then again I'm running a 28mm instead of the 26 so I'll get to work on the stock carb when I find some free time, but let me tell yah it was one hell of a ride today