carb problem(i hope)

rocky318

Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
after a year im finally gettin a chance to ride and i now have a problem. the first thing i noticed was all the oil/dirt grime and my filter was pretty oily to. and i had sludge comin from exhaust, well i had my friend keep it for me while i was in Fla and he mixed a lil to much oil in the gas which came to mind when i saw the sludge and grime. so when i went to start it, it came to life on like the third kick,cool. so i proceded to let it warm up a bit, then i took it down the road by the time i got in third gear it bogged down and fouled the plug. so now fast forward to today(well saturday) i drained the old gas put in new gas and ran it down the road again with beter results than last time but still boggy on the bottom end. But!!! i killed it to talk to my cousin and when i went to crank it again nuthin, i kicked way more than usual. so now im kinda hot so we stood there for a lil over 5 maybe 10 mins talkin havin a beer then i just decided to try again. and whata ya know first kick it fired up ran well except for the bog. so i killed it again to put it in the shop till the next day and before i left i tried startin it again, nuthin. i did get a chance to deal with it sunday which brings me to today. i went and got a new filter and while i was changin it it started raining so i started it up and pulled it into the shop. and while doing so i noticed that while the filter was of i could see the slide move up and down But!! i noticed fuel spraying back out where the filter goes. so now im hopeing that this is the cause for the grime and oily filter. the fuel spray was enough to get on my swing arm and case so with my limited knowledge of carbs and jetting (almost none lol) i figure that its gotta be runnin realy rich i hope.

im sorry for the essay but i really want to get to the bottom of this as quick as possible. can some of you jetsperts, carb geniusis help me out please.

i don't know what would cause that,maybe week reeds letting pressure back out ? mine does it to and i have been wondering the same thing.

i just took the jet out of the bottom of the carb and i really dont know what the hell im lookin for but it had a number on it and it reads as follows 150rd. is this telling me the size of the jet itself or what.

ok i just read the whole stick about PJs,pwk and what not. good info but its still like chinese arithmatic to me right now. but i did notice what it said about humidity and if you ever been to louisiana you know how bad it is and right now its rainin. and i noticed the part about the needle clip position(where is this located) and the part about the air mixture screw.

and for more info
my mechanic said he purposly set the carb not to idle in fear that i may let it idle to long and burn up(i dont know i just went with what he said). and i got it re jetted back when it was cooler.

anybody got a suggestion

sounds like reeds to me, maybe chipped or cracked, i just got some "aktive" performance reeds for $19 on ebay, pull your carb and intake/reeds and give them a look, and give the carb a good cleaning too!!

Reactions: rocky318
naw,a metal pipe or he won't learn. The needle clip is inside you throttle slide,unscrew the cap on top your carb,then pull the cap up and the "guts" will come out. You will then have the carb cap,a spring,the slide,and a needle sticking out the bottem of your slide. Pull the spring up to the cap,then there is usually a little retainer inside that hold the cable in,take that out. After that you will be able to look and see how to unhuk the cable from the slide but watch that spring it will soon be FREE and wanna fly out,after that look inside where the spring was and there will be 2 Philips screws take those out,and the needle retainer will now be free....then push your needle up/out and you will then see that the needle had 5 slots in it and a c clip that holds it pop that off and you can change your needle clip position

Reactions: xmous3yx
like every one els sead check your reeds if thay are a bit worn a quick fix is to flip them

but remeber to get new one's at sum stage if you have fliped them

thank you all for the help, and you guys hit it right on the head i pulled the reeds and there it was

PIC-0254.jpg

PIC-0257.jpg

PIC-0256.jpg

PIC-0255.jpg

i want to get the same exact ones like i have i believe there boyesen super stock carbon reeds. ive been lookin at the replacement reeds online but all i see is the carbon pedels only and not the white piece that i have a hole in. does this all come togather or is this a different piece.

Last edited:
im searching for these reeds and now im not sure what they are could somebody tell me what part of the reed thats broken and kinda help me figure out what reeds i have

well may friend,the reeds you have are called....BROKEN !!
No but seriously i'm glad you found your problem...and to think i was the first with the reed idea,and actually figured i would get fried by the board for say it,and i was wright !!!
I wish i could tell you what type they are for real tho.

i think im goin to replace them with boyesen power reeds for now until i come up on more cash then maybe vforce

where can i get these reeds for a decent price

Reactions: meangreen
well may friend,the reeds you have are called....BROKEN !!
No but seriously i'm glad you found your problem...and to think i was the first with the reed idea,and actually figured i would get fried by the board for say it,and i was wright !!!
I wish i could tell you what type they are for real tho.

and i think some rep is in order for you