Can someone explain the Raptor 660 to me?

96MXBlaster

Jun 20, 2010
SD
I was watching this atv test on the Raptor 660 and i have some questions. First off if the 660 is a single cylinder why did yamaha but double head pipes and double carbs on it? Im just curouis? And do you think i could beat a stock 660 or a lightley modded one? I have never seen one go top speed in person and have never raced one. And is it true the 660 is faster than the 700? And how would my Ltz compare to an older 700? Thanks just curouis. I see alot of raptors running around here but have never raced one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say race one and find out first hand. Raptors are very quick and the 700r is much faster than the 660R.

Alright. There is this kid who is getting cocky and he has a raptor 660 basically stock. I want to race him. HE said a 660 is faster than the 700 but i have never seen a race.

i think the last year of the 660 they put fuel injection (or at least they did on the grizz and rino) and a reason i think of the 2 exhaust is because of the 5 valve head but i know a 660 with a 727 kit and a fmf will haul some serious ass

I watched this one raptor 700 on a trakc and climbing hills at the local riding area. they look to be the worst quads ineveted. thing looked like it had no power. i beat him on my z400. I have never been a fan of the raptors. there handleing sucks from what i cant ell and they are very tippy from what ive heard from owners. I would maybe test ride one but i wouldnt buy one. unless it has a full mx set up suspension. but i would never race a raptor.

I watched this one raptor 700 on a trakc and climbing hills at the local riding area. they look to be the worst quads ineveted. thing looked like it had no power. i beat him on my z400. I have never been a fan of the raptors. there handleing sucks from what i cant ell and they are very tippy from what ive heard from owners. I would maybe test ride one but i wouldnt buy one. unless it has a full mx set up suspension. but i would never race a raptor.

well that person must not known how to ride because the raptors have ridiculous amounts of power and should have beaten your z400 because i know 2 people that have owned them and they both had 727 kits in them and they had crazy amounts of power but they said they were way too tall

ride one then say the same, WOT on the whoops, scary shi*, awesome ride

they indeed handle bad and are super tippy, they make some decent power and some gnarley torque though.

I beat a stock 660 Raptor with my ported Blaster in a drag race at Busco! The Raptor had an inexperienced 300 + lb rider on it, but I still won! Lol. If I was to get a Raptor, it would definately be a 700, not a 660. The 700's are much more refined and far less finicky with their EFI as opposed to the carb'd 660's.

they indeed handle bad and are super tippy, they make some decent power and some gnarley torque though.

I could tell it had some power but maybe im just thinking of it being tippy. I mean around the track my Z was doing way better. But the raptor was stock width from what i could see. And the rider was being a showoff wearing no helmet. It had an fmf exhaust and it sonded alright but my Z sounds better!I:I

I was watching this atv test on the Raptor 660 and i have some questions. First off if the 660 is a single cylinder why did yamaha but double head pipes and double carbs on it? Im just curouis? And do you think i could beat a stock 660 or a lightley modded one? I have never seen one go top speed in person and have never raced one. And is it true the 660 is faster than the 700? And how would my Ltz compare to an older 700? Thanks just curouis. I see alot of raptors running around here but have never raced one.

ATV Television Test - 2005 Yamaha Raptor 660 - YouTube

The 5-valve 660 engine came from the xtz660 bike (built between 1992-2000) witch was a water cooled evolution of the engine in the xt 600 and earlier xt 550 (from way back 1983)
I own a xt 600 myself
these had 4-valve and used a teikei double carb in witch the primary (mecanical carb )opend first and the secondary(vacum carb ) opened later, thus they need a diferent intake track for this to work the double exaust also keeps the same backpressure.

When they droped the engine in the rappy, they put different carbs with double mechanical twin carbs, but kept the same head and so to not redesign the whole engine they keeped the same headers

The fuel injected engien in the newer xtz 660 tenere is totaly different

Nuno

I have a 660 and love it. Yes the stock suspension is trash. Thats because its tall and narrow. It was designed to be a trail bike. Once I widened it 4" and added some YFZ450 shocks it became a completely different animal. The engine produces insane amounts of torque. A good exhaust with an matched intake and its pushing 60HP. Add a BBK and a cam and its crazy. The stock 700 is a better bike than a stock 660 since it has fuel injection and it has a 686cc displacement instead of 660cc. Also the 700 has a much upgraded suspension. I've heard stock 700s top out just under 100mph on raptorforums.
My 660 tops out at about at 75MPH then my tires start bouncing off the ground because their not balanced. It gets sketchy so I have to slow down. A used 700 will cost quite a lot more than a used 660 and are more expensive to make mods too.