Broken foot peg bolt

TeamChaos99

Jul 19, 2010
845 NY
Alright guys, my rear bolt on my footpeg fell out and the hole needs to be helicoiled due to it being stripped and the other day the front bolt decided to break as i was tightening it down, any idea how to fix this broken bolt problem?

Reactions: Pj Uptmor
Don't use the stock bolts, buy some M10 x 1.25 bolts from a hardware store. I bought 4 of them for like $2. Is a part of the bolt still sticking out enough that you can get vice grips on it? Vice grips always work good for me when removing a bolt. If the bolt is broken off inside of the frame, then your going to need to drill it out with a drill bit and re-tap the hole with a larger bolt

If the bolt is still in there but you can't get vise grips on it, center drill it as best as possible and get an easy out and just back it out. You won't have to drill the hole and retap it, just drill and tap the one that is stripped. Don't waste time making more work for yourself.

By the way, those bolts are pretty stout, what the hell kind of torque are you putting on them? They are only 40ft-lbs, you might need to recalibrate your torque wrench.

If you drill and tap to the next size on the others, you are most likely going to have to ream out the foot rest flange too. Otherwise the next size bolt won't have clearance.

On second thought, just drill out the stripped threads, only the threads, don't ream the hole too much bigger and get a longer bolt (maybe a half threaded one), flat washer, lock washer and nut. Torque the nut to 40ft-lbs and call it done. If you strip the threads of the new bolt or nut....then you need eat fewer wheaties.

Reactions: motoman159
Don't use a helicoil , they are junk . Use a ez out on the broken bolt , then drill and tap the holes the next size up . And yeah , you don't need to he-man them , If you are worried about them coming loose while riding , use permatex red loc tite on them .

thanks for all the responses guys...the only thing is, my momma makes me eat my wheaties....even at the age of 23 :(

thanks for all the responses guys...the only thing is, my momma makes me eat my wheaties....even at the age of 23 :(

Then use your non-dominant hand to turn the wrench while holding your johnson in your dominant hand....the more you turn the wrench, squeeze your johnson equally hard....you'll know when to stop! I:I

haha i like that one, so i tried to drill out the bolt with no luck, any special drill bit i should be using on it?

HSS drill bit, using a 1/8 bit to start with, at a slower than usual speed, lubricated with engine oil to keep the bit cool.

Then move up the size a bit at a time, until you can get an easy out in there to back the old bolt out!

What Blaaster Said is the Proper way to remove it , Keep That Same Method in Mind When Doing Similar Bolts , Save You Time And Tools In The Long Run , Unless You Like It The Hard Way haha

Yeah, anything other than that will just eat your bits up. Use the right bit and it should drill easy. If the easy out doesn't want to work, add a bit of heat around the bolt, not to the bolt, and then back it out....maybe even a little PB Blaster too.

Give me a sec while I blow the dust off of this thread! I would just soak that baby in a can of PB Blaster overnight then maybe drill it out?