Breaking reeds

Daryl Schmitz

Aug 29, 2016
The same reed keeps breaking off at the end and I'm not sure why. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The setup I'm running in the motor is as follows. Vito's big bore cylinder and head with wiesco piston exhaust port polished only. 3mm Vito's stroker crank, Vito's fat bastard pipe and silencer, 4degree advanced timing, Kehin pwk 35mm carb with k&n style filter off back of carb, Vito's billet reed cage, oil block off kit. I'm using Yamaha lube 2r oil mixed at 32:1. It is jetted correctly and runs very strong until the reeds break. I have run boysen and the Vito's reeds they both seem to last about 2 tanks then break. I have no stops in as that is what is recommended. Any ideas?

Here is what it looks like those are the Vito's carbon flex reeds.

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_064043914_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180507_064043914_LL.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 323
and now you know why they recommend no stops on aftermarket reeds ...... job security to sale you new reeds when they break.
put the stock curved reed stops on that cage if possible ? they'll last for years then, and it's never been proven removing the stops adds any performance.
if you can't install the stock reed stops on that vitos cage ? I'd be lookin for new setup, v-force is my choice, and use that vitos billet shiz for a paperweight.

Not sure if I can put the factory stops on the vitos cage or not. I will get some stops and try it as my stock cage did not have any when I bought it. It's 4 degrees I did not guess and slot my stock plate if that's what your thinking. When the reeds are good it rips hard.

Reactions: Awk08