brake caliper change

darrencurry08

May 7, 2012
Northern Ireland
i think its 02 not sure, but its the old type caliper set up and what im wondering is would it be easy enough to mount a newer type caliper and master cycling but the problem is i dont know where the master cylinder bolt on yo and i dont think my brake foot lever has the wee hole where the master cycling locks on too, need help as my caliper now is kinda broke its not engaging think i need a new cable :-/

I've not used Awk's setup but it looks pretty slick. I don't think the hydro caliper will mount to a mechanical disk carrier. I'm not sure but I think to put the later Blaster hydro's on the read you'll need the carrier, axle, disk, disk hub, right foot peg and rear foot lever as well as weld on the mount for the master cylinder.

i can clearly see the 2 mounting holes on the caliper, thats what made my decision to use the gsxr calipers i use, i'm gonna say that caliper is mountable like those i use
i wish i could see the master cylinder better ?

edit.....i looked at 3 other aprilia set-ups like the one above, i do not see the clevis that will connect to a pedal extension on any of them ???

look at my pic above, you need a master that uses a clevis/pin connection to the pedal extension

Last edited by a moderator:
Awk's brake set-up is an ingenious design and well worth the price he is asking.
He should also be commended for sharing unbiased advice on alternative set ups.

I tinkered with various designs and probably wasted more money than Awk08 asks for his brake.
I did however find an easy way to mount a newer rear hydraulic brake to the older mechanical mount:

544788_10150946178920803_837951819_n.jpg

This is the standard rear hydraulic brake found on the Raptor, Warrior and other non-Yamaha quads. Instead of the floating mounts I used a plate of 1/4" steel (aluminum could be used) sandwiched between the hydraulic and park brake parts of this caliper. Disregard the 3 holed bar sticking out of the swinger. It was for an earlier Ninja 250 floating brake better suited to the later fixed disk. Picture below:

540317_10151004900685803_2110799469_n.jpg

This was my master cylinder set up. I have to concede, I really like Awk08's setup, especially no welding needed.
My set up has a lengthened and straightened brake lever and one welded frame mount.

223409_10150236712480803_5651075_n.jpg

yeah i seen that after i posted it and it looks like it would need a different master cyclinder but i think id be better to go with your setup as you already have brakets made and ready to post how much would it be to n.i or can you post to here thanks pm me :)