Blaster won't star after rebuild.

daryl headley

May 25, 2018
My daughters 1988 blaster won't start after rebuild.her friend seized the motor. I got a new cylinder piston rings. After I put it back together it started for a second and died and will not restart. Also it won't start with starting fluid. Any help would be appreciated.

Hope you didn't buy a cheap eBay cylinder.

Anyway, you need 3 things , air, fuel, fire.
Starting fluid rules fuel out.
Spark should be fat blue not lazy yellow, and must be at correct time.
Find the PDF file for manual testing values.

Did you do proper leak down test? Break in?
What exactly have you done or tried?

Hope you didn't buy a cheap eBay cylinder.

Anyway, you need 3 things , air, fuel, fire.
Starting fluid rules fuel out.
Spark should be fat blue not lazy yellow, and must be at correct time.
Find the PDF file for manual testing values.

What exactly have you done or tried?
Lol I did buy the cylinder off eBay didn't think that would be a problem. Bow it starts and runs tell warm then won't start again.

https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/niche-industries-top-end-kit.61580/page-3#post-810326

That's one of many posts about them. Yours could be anything from not enough piston-cylinder clearance to tapered bore, to off center bore and when things warm up it seizes. Remove exhaust and see what the piston/cylinder look like.
Does the engine still kick over after it dies ? Or hard to kick?

Better description of what actually happens would help. It could be electrical components heating up.

https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/niche-industries-top-end-kit.61580/page-3#post-810326

That's one of many posts about them. Yours could be anything from not enough piston-cylinder clearance to tapered bore, to off center bore and when things warm up it seizes. Remove exhaust and see what the piston/cylinder look like.
Does the engine still kick over after it dies ? Or hard to kick?

Better description of what actually happens would help. It could be electrical components heating up.
The motor is still easy to kick after it dies. It always ran fine until my daughters friend ran it in first gear about 30 mph and it seized.

Well let's start with the basics.
Does it have spark?
Have you done a compression test? With a Craftsman being the cheapest one to use.

Maybe remove the exhaust and have a look at the piston-cylinder.

Well let's start with the basics.
Does it have spark?
Have you done a compression test? With a Craftsman being the cheapest one to use.

Maybe remove the exhaust and have a look at the piston-cylinder.
Yes I have spark. I just checked the compression and right under 90

Yes I have spark. I just checked the compression and right under 90

What brand gauge did you use ? (Makes a difference on these small engines)
IIRC, 100 or less requires (suggested rebuild) Hopefully you didn't junk the original cylinder.
[QUOTE="Larry's Shee, post: 812624, member: 64

What exactly have you done or tried?[/QUOTE]
Answer this /\/\ question.

So I guess i had a blond moment. Lol I for to put the reeds on the new cylinder. All the times I've rebuilt my own motors I've never done something so stupid. But anyway thanks for the time you spent replying to my post its greatly appreciated.

Ya, if you don't have reeds you can't have holes in the piston.
Actually a piston port 2s works pretty good, and in some applications better than a reeds valve induction.

Glad you have it figured out.

Reactions: daryl headley