Blaster swap into YSR50

There are a lot of us interested in this project.
Keep feeding us!
And for heaven's sake, more pictures.
They are like crack cocaine to a gear head.

Steve

Ok, so i've started a new job, worked on my hot rod all summer to get it going so now i've had a little time for the YSR. Got the frame and swinger painted, the head back from O connor. I forgot to take a pic, but he sure shaved a lot off compared to the stock head I have here.

Replaced every nut and bolt on the engine and now it's ready to go into the frame. The wheels are painted as well as the hubs. Going to put the tires on this week and it'll start looking like a bike again.

20120928_223839.jpg

20120928_224654.jpg

I just saw this thread for the first time, love the idea. I'd like to do a 'Shee powder build into an 08 or later Ninja 250 chassis for a daily rider. Nice work on the CR500AF. I helped a friend of mine with one early this year. His is his race bike but having one as a street legal SM would be awesome. We are starting on a KX500AF now. The KIPS equipped KX engine should make an even better racer than the CR is. Here is a shot of the CR.
PART951343222269329.jpg

...dooooooood!, you're killin' us! We need updates, pics, videos...something, anything....:eek:

Sorry, i've been insanely busy with work and a move to a new place in between so everything got boxed up and buried in the garage. I have done a little here and there, but should start making real progress after Christmas.

Small update: My gas tank is in ok shape outside, but had the worst smelling gas in the world inside and it was full of thick rust. I hate the idea of fuel tank liner kits and using harsh acids.

First I put a ton of sheet rock screws in and shook it up in an old clothes dryer wrapped up in blankets. It busted all all the really scaly rust.

I used electrolysis with washing soda and a battery charger and i'm impressed with the results. There's tons of info on youtube about this. Here's a before and after photo best I could get with my phone. 99% of the rust is gone and I poured wd40 in right away and swashed it around to prevent flash rust.
Crusty and scaly
20130203_182315_resized_zps21549cb6.jpg

Clean raw steel, no rust except a few tiny spots down in the back of the tank
20130204_200126_resized_zps6ad68b7b.jpg

Been working out of town lots, but it's a priority to get done for this summer, so when I get some time there will be a lot of all nighters going into it.