Blaster sprocket gearing!

Scottt07

Dec 22, 2009
San Bernardino california
I have a stock blaster I'm about to buy a new chain and sprockets off eBay.
I was noticing alot of people are using the 14/40 gearing.. Plus ive seen 13/40. I plan on getting a shearer pipe for it and that's about it for the moment..i do mostly trail riding.. Is the 14/40 better for the built engines?

A 14 tooth front sprocket will give you more top speed / more power on the high end of the RPM range. A smaller front sprocket will give you more power at the low end of the RPM range and less top speed. Stock gearing is 13/40. If you are looking for a good trail rider, (I'm assuming you are because you are getting a shearer pipe) Then stay with the 13 in the front.

i swapped from a 13/40 to a 14/40 and preferred it, blasters are geared low to start with so i went up to a 14 front, and thought it was better, it opened the gears up a little which is what i wanted :) best bet, get both and see what you prefer I:I

i switched to 14/40 and it made a awesome difference but it was still perfectly fine for woods riding which is where i spend alot of time

I think the 14/40 is good 4 all types of riding.. a lil more top end speed.. i personaly think 14/40 should've been the stock gearing.. but dont forget the rear tire size plays a big factor too.. if u have 18's i would say most def get the 14/40

I have 18's on mine and i think they are itp holeshots. They suck cause you lose too much clearance under your skid plate. If i go to the woods and try crossing a creek, i always end up pushing it out, lol. I really think if you got 22's you would go to a 12 tooth sprocket. You have maximum clearance too. If you kept it at a 13 for the 22's you lose alot of torque! I had 22in. mudlites and it made my blaster fly when it finally got going but in the woods, i had to keep it in 1st and 2nd the whole time! But I'm just gonna get 20's and go up to a 14T sprocket. What you could do is get a 14T front and a 40T in the rear and then if you still dont have enough torque to dick around in, you could buy a 39 tooth rear. Most people in my mind get 14/40 gearing. There are some people with 14/39. It also depends on if your motor is stock, built, or race ready. Hope this helped!

i went with a 14/39 set up cause most run a 14/40 and ill have that little bit of top end on them.. lol
i agree the ground clearance sucks. and bigger tires does help. so gear down if you want bigger tires. its a balance you have to find.

I have 18's on mine and i think they are itp holeshots. They suck cause you lose too much clearance under your skid plate. If i go to the woods and try crossing a creek, i always end up pushing it out, lol. I really think if you got 22's you would go to a 12 tooth sprocket. You have maximum clearance too. If you kept it at a 13 for the 22's you lose alot of torque! I had 22in. mudlites and it made my blaster fly when it finally got going but in the woods, i had to keep it in 1st and 2nd the whole time! But I'm just gonna get 20's and go up to a 14T sprocket. What you could do is get a 14T front and a 40T in the rear and then if you still dont have enough torque to dick around in, you could buy a 39 tooth rear. Most people in my mind get 14/40 gearing. There are some people with 14/39. It also depends on if your motor is stock, built, or race ready. Hope this helped![/QUOte

There called itp holeshots for a reason. there for MX not trails so dont bash them because they are amazing for mx but i understand what ur saying because i have them on my 400ex, but a skid plate fixed that problem.

I have 18's on mine and i think they are itp holeshots. They suck cause you lose too much clearance under your skid plate. If i go to the woods and try crossing a creek, i always end up pushing it out, lol. I really think if you got 22's you would go to a 12 tooth sprocket. You have maximum clearance too. If you kept it at a 13 for the 22's you lose alot of torque! I had 22in. mudlites and it made my blaster fly when it finally got going but in the woods, i had to keep it in 1st and 2nd the whole time! But I'm just gonna get 20's and go up to a 14T sprocket. What you could do is get a 14T front and a 40T in the rear and then if you still dont have enough torque to dick around in, you could buy a 39 tooth rear. Most people in my mind get 14/40 gearing. There are some people with 14/39. It also depends on if your motor is stock, built, or race ready. Hope this helped![/QUOte

There called itp holeshots for a reason. there for MX not trails so dont bash them because they are amazing for mx but i understand what ur saying because i have them on my 400ex, but a skid plate fixed that problem.

Yeah They are amazing on my track i made with our tractor. we got some doubles and table-tops and alot more other stuff..They are sweet there! When i bought my blaster they had them on there, i didn't really have a choice. lol