blaster runs great but wont idle

wmb_1983

Apr 5, 2010
st. louis MO
hey guys i need some help I got a blaster with a 30mm oko trenga race carb and boysen reeds with a 1/2 reed spacer with a full fmf exaust just got bike all fixed up and running and runs great other then it wont idle any thoughts on what i need to to

Remove the pilot jet from the carburetor and clean out the pilot circuit with non-foaming carburetor cleaner. Then turn the little red hose taped to the side of the can on the pilot jet itself.

Reinstall the pilot jet and check the air screw adjustment to confirm it's between 1.5 and 2.5 turns out. If not, remember the number of turns out from a LIGHT seat it is and then adjust it to 2 turns out. Start the engine up and see if it will idle. If so, ride it around the yard to warm it up and confirm it continues to idle once it's warm.

The pilot air screw is the little flat blade screw in the recessed hole. The bigger one that's pointed up is the idle set screw. That raises and lowers the slide height to adjust the amount of air administered into the engine at idle.

That screw should be about 3/4 of the way in so the slide should have about a 1/16" gap beneath it (if you look down the carburetor throat) to allow the air in for the engine to idle.

The most common problem for idle problems, however, is a lack of fuel delivery caused by a faulty pilot circuit usually caused by a gummed pilot jet

If you find what he said doesn't work , potentially you need a larger pilot jet , if thats the case jump up 1 size and then run it , you may find that to be the problem , BUT if it wasn't a problem before , then it may just be a dirty carb. Also check your plug , whats the electrode look like? if you have a fouled plug , that could be contributing to your problem , I suggest a new plug along with the cleaning .

Replacing the plug isn't a bad idea. Copper cores can and do bad sometimes without warning and if the core is nearly dead, the ignition system may not be making enough juice to fire the spark plug at idle. Long shot but possible.

well i just rebulit her and added the above go fast goodies hopefully its just cleaning cause i dont have any other jets yet ..... not sure where to get them around st. louis

First off pull your jets out and read them. You should always know exactly what you got in there so you know where you need to go.

Tell me what pilot youre running. Im pretty decent with Keihin (OKO is a Keihin knockoff) carbs.

And the screw to turn for idle is the smaller one without the spring. The one with the spring is the slide adjustment, which will affect your idle as well. I always prefer to try and get the thing to idle with the slide all the way down, but sometimes it doesnt work out that way and you end up having to raise the slide up and then repeating.

But for now, pull your bowl off and pull both main and pilot jets and write down the numbers, tell me what elevation youre at, and your average humidity, and Ill give you an idea for where your pilot jetting should be.

The first 3 and only things I do in order are 1)Replace the plug with a stock NGK plug, B8ES 2) adjust your Idle screw from lean, right turn to rich left turn and if all else fails 3) Take carb cleaner, a little bit of orange glow/industrial strength gritty cleaner and a new disposable toothbrush and clean that sucker out good. Thats what I got planed for tuesday as good measure for my blaster.