Blaster/CR85 - 90 Mod Build

sixx1nine

Mar 1, 2014
Hey, Im new to this forum. My younger brother is just getting out of cvt's and moving up to the 90 Mod class. So we have decided to build our own with a Blaster frame and Honda cr85 motor. So heres the plan.

Chassis:
Blaster frame, gussets, lowered subframe, widened a-arms, yfz450r front shocks, extended swingarm, yfz450r rear shock, widened axle, iron cros front bumper, nerf bars with heel guards, steering damper, Pro Taper bars/grips, ASV clutch and brake lever/perch, front disc brake conversion.

Power Plant:
2003 Honda CR85cc engine over bored to 88cc, VForce 3 Reed kit, Torque Spacer, FMF Pipe with Shorty silencer, Yamaha YFZ450r 40mm Aluminum Radiator with hoses and inline cooler, Hinson clutch, Foam pod filter, Honda TRX450r stock thumb throttle with steel braided cable, Moose chain, NGK Iridium plug.

Wheels & Tires:
DWT 8x8 rear wheels possibly beadlocks, DWT 10x5 front wheels, Maxxis Razr front and rear or the GBC Bomb Squad tires.

Body & Misc:
White race plastics undecided on what we are using yet, white and blue graphics by 139Designs.com, Hand guards, shaved seat with cover, powder coating frame-Blue, a-arms-White, wheels-White, steering stem-Red, swing arm-White, nerf bars-White, handlebars-Red, wheel hubs-Red.

I will update with more upgrades as they come. I tear down the Blaster frame and start getting the engine ready for mounting tomorrow so I will start posting pictures of the build and parts.

All work will be done by me along with help from a couple of our sponsors, Treyson Racin' Powersports will be helping with the engine build and tuning and suspension tuning. A local Hot Rod and Race Car builder will be helping with all fab work including engine mount, extended swing arm, shock mounts and gussets. 139Designs will be making our graphics and a friend of mine will e doing the Powder coating.

-Enjoy!

^^^^ Man with a plan... Looking forward to some pics and progress.. Also welcome to the forum..

Hey everyone, thanks! Ive been really busy but I finally got some pictures and update. So we got the Blaster down to a roller and down to my friends fab shop along with the cr85 motor. Saturday we are mounting the engine and hopefully the yfz450r 40mm radiator if UPS gets it here by then. Sunday we will continue our progress. I will have pics of that process next week along with some pics of around his shop (it's bitchin). So I got some parts in today from our sponsor and local shop Treyson Racin', VForce3 Reed kit, Torque spacer, Wiesco over bore kit, and a few other goodies, more coming tomorrow and friday. Heres some pics.

Attachments

• photo_2-1.jpg
    photo_2-1.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 597
  • photo_1-2.jpg
    photo_1-2.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 549
  • photo_5.jpg
    photo_5.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 1,263
Sounds like a nice build! I'd suggest all new swingarm over just extending stock.

WELCOME !!
I will eventually get an all new swing arm but for now were gonna extend the stock just to get him training and make round one in about 5 weeks, just not in the budget right now.

welcome. you have a good start for sure. at least you have more parts to the blaster than what I started out with! lol I will be watching this thread.

Still waiting on parts but here's some more photos of the parts I have now. I don't have a pic of the engine.

CR85 Clutch Kit and Cable
Clutch  kit.jpg

Engine Ice, Iridium Plug, Bolt Kit, Frame Gussets, Honda trx450r Thumb Throttle, odi Troy Lee Lock Grips.
Grips - Fluid.jpg

VForce3 Reed Kit, Reed Torque Spacer, Wiesco Over Bore kit.
Reeds - Piston.jpg

Parts that came with the cr85 motor we bought, all stock radiator, carb, coil and wires.
Cr85 engine parts.jpg

Stock cr85 pipe i bought for 18 bucks just for mach up.
Stock Pipe.jpg

Hey guys, heres a few parts I'm currently looking for, let me know what you got.

Front Disc Brake Setup
Wide Axle
Extended Swingarm
White Racing Plastics
Four Lug Raer Hubs

Sorry I havent made a post in awhile ive been busy and we ran into a few snags but fixed them now. We did finish the engine mounts, mounted the radiator and exhaust system. We had to mod the head pipe a bit and we ended up running the FMF Shorty as a center exit kinda like the LTR. I will post more pics this week, we are just finishing mounting the yfz rear brake set up.

Reactions: undergroundart
how s the build going?
Sorry I havent made a post in awhile ive been busy and we ran into a few snags but fixed them now. We did finish the engine mounts, mounted the radiator and exhaust system. We had to mod the head pipe a bit and we ended up running the FMF Shorty as a center exit kinda like the LTR. I will post more pics this week, we are just finishing mounting the yfz rear brake set up.

What did you do for sprokets i know the blaster runs a 520 chain and cr runs a 420 im building an 06 cr85 blaster for my kid and trying to figure that out now

What did you do for sprokets i know the blaster runs a 520 chain and cr runs a 420 im building an 06 cr85 blaster for my kid and trying to figure that out now
That post was old. Don't know if you will get a reply