bigger gastank

20 gauge

Jan 5, 2011
Nova Scotia,Canada
Going to be doing alot of camping trips this summer to the back county this summer. Gas is going to be a problem. Does anyone run a bigger tank like on ebay. wondering how they work and look? any pics of a bike with one.

over sized tanks have their own issues, but are an option.

if it was me, id be looking for a rear grab bar that incorporates spots for a pair of 1-1.5gal gas cans. that way when your not going into the outback, you can bolt your stocker back on.

They work great but the look is not very desirable.Function is all that matters in this case.You could also try a 6 pack rack with a small 1 1/2 to 2 gallon gas tank strapped to it.

need to carry tent and other gear for 2-3 day trips .Already figured i'd need to carry a gallon gas can as well. looking at 200-250 kmswith no gas stops. how far will a blaster go on a tank. Mom&dad have sport bikes and are getting dualsports so the 3 of us can go biking.

n549110802_1499394_3330.jpg

This is a pict of my Raptor (driven by the friend with the lite backpack) and my KTM.
Note the bedroll on the back of the Raptor. I had to backpack my all gear.
The Raptor was surprisingly good on fuel for 660cc, but then again, maybe it was the
slow pace the 4x4s set that made it so good on fuel.
My KTM was originally very hard on fuel, and I take it on long treks, so I upped the fuel capacity
from the original 2.5gals to 5gals (20 litres) with a larger front and axillary rear tank.

The down side of larger tanks is they don't always fit like they should, they often don't look so nice,
and they do increase the top heavy weight of the bike. Now I am talking motorcycle here,
but I do have some fit problems with aftermarket pipes and the larger tank too.
Mine is an IMS, the plastic is thick and tough and has stood up to some pretty big impacts.
The IMS and Clarke tanks seem to be well made.

I have a "natural" plastic tank on my other KTM and I like that you can instantly see the fuel level.
If you think an oversize tank is ugly in black or blue, you should see one in yellowish white with
red fuel sloshing around in it. It is function over fashion for sure.

The real point I wanted to make here (since most of my experience is not with Blasters) is that when
I worked at tuning the carb on my KTM the fuel mileage doubled from 27-30mpg to 55mpg depending
on riding conditions. This negated the need for the larger fuel tank to a large degree.
Most 2 strokes are jetted fat in the mid-range (and on top) making them lazy and thirsty.
Most of the jetting work for fuel mileage was with the pilot and needle, where you ride most at high speed cruise.
It takes a lot of work to get it right because richer is safer and fewer hitches than lean,
but when it is right, the bike works better and only sips fuel.

With the larger tank on that bike and the tuned up carb it can go up to 250 miles or 400 kms on a
single fill up. Even with the stock tank the carb tune up increased the fuel range from about 75 miles to 150 miles.
Well worth doing.

Last edited:
i have an IMS 4 gallon gas tank as well and i can ride just about anywhere with my friends on all day rides but you have to take into consideration that i am still running the oil injection so my blaster doesn't drink gas as much as if it's mixed.

What we used to do years ago for long distance riding was use old water proof ammo boxes, We filled 1L bottles with fuel, tape the lids on and put them in the ammo boxes. One box fit perfectly inside the front bumper. I also had one attached to each heel guard. Normally our trips were 3 days long so the 6 pack rack I made for the back was loaded to the hilt as well with camping gear.

with my blaster a full tank will only last about 1 and half hours if im riding hard it sucks the fuel right threw