Best big bore sleeve on ebay?

Jul 13, 2011
After riding my blaster a few times I feel like I could use more power. Its sluggish in 5 and 6th in loose sand. I want to go with the big bore now. There are 3 choices on ebay and I would like to know which one to go with.
This one has all included. But it doesn't show you the sleeve.
YAMAHA 200 BLASTER 240 240CC BIG BORE KIT | eBay
YAMAHA 200 BLASTER BIG BORE CYLINDER SLEEVE 88-06 | eBay
YAMAHA 200 BLASTER BIG BORE CYLINDER SLEEVE 88-06 | eBay
YAMAHA YFS 200 BLASTER BIG BORE CYLINDER SLEEVE 88-06 | eBay

What the best sleeve? I imagine that the pistons are going to be vito's no matter who's selling them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 240 kit will not outperform your porting, unless you get the 240 kit ported

I will be porting out the cylinder. I plan on triple porting the intake and exhaust on this one. I have a good second cylinder to experiment with.

I will be porting out the cylinder. I plan on triple porting the intake and exhaust on this one. I have a good second cylinder to experiment with.

You will have trouble doing triple exhaust ports with a stock sleeved cylinder. The stock cylinder barely has enough meat around the outside between the bottom "big fin" and second "big fin" to do triple exhaust ports.

Even the lowly Vito's cylinder includes a large cast "bulge" right there in the thin area to beef it up and allow enough material to cut in LARGE triple exhaust port tunnels.

In my honest opinion, sleeved 240's are the least "appealing" method of acheiving the displacement IF your plan involves triple exhaust ports (it doesn't have to but you'll be sacrificing some ring life) to get maximum POWA out of the sleeved cylinder.

So how do I get more power out of this thing? I like the speed that the 15/38's make. I don't want to loose top speed. I was maxing out the r's (7300rpm & 60mph) on the trails in florence on the harder surfaces, but the loose terrain it didn't have enough hp. If I copy the porting job that ken did on my first jug and pop a 72mm piston in it I should gain hp right?

Last edited:
well a blaster is definitly limited in hp compared to many other atv's. with a worked engine your probly gonna max out around 45hp, and that would be a ton of cash. more might be acheivable but it would be super un-reliable, so unless you stuck on having a blaster, you best and probly cheapest bet for pulling hard in 6th through the deep sand is sell the blaster and buy something bigger.

I have been looking for a project banshee or lt 250r for a couple of years now and haven't come across anything. I'm hooked on the two strokes for sure now. I don't want to sell the blaster. I have way to much into it. I have over 4k in it now and I could only sell it realistically for 2500 maybe 3000. I thought going with a big bore would alleviate some hp issues for me but it sure doesn't sound like it.

Going straight to a big bore WILL make more power than a small bore engine for the same port layout but spending a little extra cash or spending a little extra time looking around for a proper big bore kit will put out even more power than that!

It also depends on your goals too. If you're ultimate goal is to turn 70mph in the sand, you may want to save your money on the big bore kit and keep riding what you have for a while and keep looking for something that's larger in displacement and liquid cooled.

The blaster engine is very simple and easy to work on but it has the disadvantage of being air cooled and in a high load high heat environment (like the desert in soft sand) it can overheat quickly.

What do you mean by kits? I thought you needed a sleeve, piston, machinist and some porting. There is a kit on ebay right now. Thats not a good kit? I was also going to put the liquid cooled head kit on too if it fits. I emailed the company asking if it works with 72mm-74mm pistons. I don't mind spending another $600 on my bike as long as I see a 10hp gain over what I have now. If not then I'm going to buy a banshee. I found one for 1k an hour away from me. Waiting on the seller to tell me when I can come see it.

What do you mean by kits? I thought you needed a sleeve, piston, machinist and some porting. There is a kit on ebay right now. Thats not a good kit? I was also going to put the liquid cooled head kit on too if it fits. I emailed the company asking if it works with 72mm-74mm pistons. I don't mind spending another $600 on my bike as long as I see a 10hp gain over what I have now. If not then I'm going to buy a banshee. I found one for 1k an hour away from me. Waiting on the seller to tell me when I can come see it.

What I mean is, there are three "levels" of big bore kits.

One involves punching out the stock sleeve (which is maxed at 68.25mm) and installing a sleeve which can be bored to 73mm. This has the disadvantage of still using the stock aluminum cylinder pieces which are limited in how much work can be done to them

The second is an aftermarket kit like the vito's replacement cylinder. It's a complete replacement cylinder (you remove the cylinder currently on the quad and put a new one down). The vito's and airsal kits have the advantage or disadvantage (depending on how you look at it) of utilizing a stock outward appearance and stock reed cage/manifold/head pattern/cylinder bolt down pattern. The differ in a few ways from a stock cylinder however. The airsal kit moreso than the vito's but both to some extent have an updated port layout. The vito's casting job from the factory is terrible looking and a ported stock bore cylinder will outrun a vito's 240 kit most all day HOWEVER, the cylinder is actually cast with more aluminum in a few key areas. The airsal kit has a really updated port layout with a single oval intake port connected to boost port and a triple "triangle" exhaust port layout.

The third option (albeit the most pricy) is a LA sleeve big bore kit (NOT the resleeve!) where it also replaces the entire cylinder with a completely new completely updated layout. It utilizes CR250 reed block and manifold, new intake side case studs, and a completely updated modern port layout and cooling fin layout as well.

The potential power output, ring/piston life, and associated costs rise in order as well!

Perhaps buying a banshee would be the easier way to go, lol. I'm going to go look at a 92 banshee at 6 pm today for $1000.

Perhaps buying a banshee would be the easier way to go, lol. I'm going to go look at a 92 banshee at 6 pm today for $1000.

It depends on your ultimate goals. If you want to be able to run ~45 mph across the sand dunes and have a light floaty quad, put the big bore kit on the blaster and rock out.

If you're trying to have an ultimate top speed hill shooter, you're going to need a bigger starting platform than a blaster. They're short on displacement (which can be helped to a limit) and cooling capacity for ultimate top speed.

Personally, I could care less about flying at 100mph offroad as that's only asking for a trip to the emergency room (or worse, morgue) so a banshee doesn't do anything for me that my blaster can't.

Something else you can consider if the banshee doesn't pan out is putting that big bore blaster on either E85 or methanol and getting an IMS 4 gallon tank for it. It'll consume about twice as much but the incoming fuel charge removes about 4 times as much heat as incoming gasoline AND the charge contains about 21% oxygen by volume (as liquid!) so it'll boost out more power. Unfortunately, you would HAVE to have the big gas tank as it will consume as 50% to twice as much fuel during the same operation on alcohol.

I gonna by the banshee either way. I know I can turn a profit on it. I do like the blaster but its real hard to keep up with a raptor 660. I rode with a some ppl this past weekend and he had a raptor. He would walk away from me on every straight stretch. I want something that can compete.

I gonna by the banshee either way. I know I can turn a profit on it. I do like the blaster but its real hard to keep up with a raptor 660. I rode with a some ppl this past weekend and he had a raptor. He would walk away from me on every straight stretch. I want something that can compete.

My buddy's all have 4 strokes.

And sadly they all whoop my ass on them. X(

My buddy's all have 4 strokes.

And sadly they all whoop my ass on them. X(

no wayyy 2 stroke ftw, im with sicivicdude any more then 100 kph and its too scatchy.

id say at least swap that rear sprocket back to 40 tooth and at most set it up at 14/40 ratio

iv gone riding with 400ex's and 250f's and was spanking them all day long on my blaste. 660 raptors may beat u on the flats but when ur out ridin how many flatts is there?? blasters kick ass in woods trails and beyond. pluss we had a 660 raptor dident like it much, piped blastys sound way better

Want to know something really bad? To build a banshee that can not only produce the power but can also plant it, you're going to be dropping major coin.

Ones that put out loads of power come on like freight trains and spin like crazy. One's that grip don't put down that much power.... Ask mmajay. He had like 85hp banshee that was losing drag races to a stock 700R. The reason wasn't 2 stroke versus 4 stroke or even anything as silly as that. His quad had so much explosive power that it would spin the entire way down the track while the 700R was better balanced (power to weight, weight transfer, grip without trying to wheelie)

I believe that a blaster has the capacity to be balanced like that as well with smart modifications. An aftermarket BBK with a healthy port job on a stroker crank with a +3-+4" swingarm is a potent combination....

Ha! I came from a 660 Raptor to a Blaster. Hated the weight and expensive complexity of the Raptor. Stock Raptor or Banshee is still just less than 40 hp and 400 lbs. Put a 200 lb rider on either and you are talking 15 lbs for every HP. Not too hard to get 30-35 hp out of a Blaster, with a 200 lbs rider you have that same 15 lbs per HP ratio.

The 660/700 Raptor and any 4 stroke is very difficult and expensive to modify the engine for much more than 15% more HP. Multi cylinder engines do not "plant" very well, especially 2 stokes. The Banshee is a hoot. I recommend riding one or buying one for the thrill of it, but a single cylinder is much lighter, simpler, more traction, and cheaper to modify.

Sicivicdude is so right in thinking out what you want to do with your machine. I want light, nimble and powerful off roader. Blaster does it. If I wanted a flat track machine, weight would mean less. Banshee would be better. If I wanted wheelies and torque, 660/700 Raptor it would be (high center of gravity). If I wanted a track racer and repair expense not important, one of the 450 race machines.

I should open up another thread about where HP comes from, but basically since Harry Ricardo's day it is recognized that power can only be made by PLAN.
That would be:
Pressure, average cylinder pressure through the stroke
Length of crankshaft stroke
Area of the piston
Number of power strokes per minute. RPM x cylinders / 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
all this is divided by a constant to allow for units.
The only way to increase power production is to increase one of these factors. Luckily with a Blaster, all of these factors are easy to increase.

Working the numbers backwards, the stock Blaster produces 17hp at 8500rpm with its 195cc. That would be an average cylinder pressure of about 71psi. Modern MX engines have average cylinder pressures of about 125-140psi. This is influenced by air flow through the engine and detonation limits. All the reed valve, head mod, flow porting, triple port, air box and exhaust tricks can probably raise Blaster cylinder pressure up to about 130psi max, making about 30hp with no displacement or rpm increase.

Displacement alone is physically limited to about 245cc, this factor alone with no flow or head mod increases would raise HP to only about 20hp believe it or not. If even a moderate flow and pressure increase of say 100psi was achieved, you would see about 30hp according to the math.

RPM is a big way to increase power. Cylinder filling efficiency usually decreases with RPM but not at the same rate as power increase and the tuned effect really helps us in a 2 stroke. The Blaster is a tough little engine that should readily handle 10,000 even with a 3mm stroke. This is part of the DT200's secret to its 32hp. It makes it up in the 9500rpm range. This is where raising the ports or cylinder or a new pipe help make HP. Even most of the stroker kits with their port raising shims raise the RPM range and increase HP through RPM as much as displacement.

So, what if you put it all together? A big bore stroked Blaster tuned to maximum cylinder pressure at 9500 rpm? About 45hp, or probably almost as much as any MX250 engine built in the last 20 years. Why "almost" as much? Because this is a 40yr old piston port engine design updated to reed valves. It has limitations. 45hp in a 300 lbs bike with a 200 lbs rider is still a power to weight ratio of a Hemi powered Barracuda!

So I want 45hp, right? What are the side effects? Power produces heat (or is a byproduct of heat or whatever!) so if you are producing 45 hp you have to remove a lot of heat from the cylinder and heat. Air cooling is not so good at that, so better if you only use the 45hp in small blasts.
Also, increasing the rpm range reduces power at lower rpm. MX engines do not make much power in the rpm range that you spend most of your day driving in.

If you are only turning 7300 rpm you are probably only making about 31hp max with your mods.
Pop a 72mm cylinder on and your power will raise to 35 hp. Worth $600?
How about this. Shim your cylinder higher or tune so your rpm goes up to 8500 rpm and you will see 36hp for less than $20 worth of parts.
Tune it for 9500 rpm like a DT200 and you should be up into the 40hp range.
You may need to sprocket down to use it.

Excellent advice from everyone in this thread. Whew, lot of typing, I gotta take a frosty adult beverage break...
.........is that a bug in my drink?
299_29381245802_549110802_1499389_2355_n.jpg