base gasket

osiris10

May 16, 2011
philadelphia
ok i was about to do a leak down on my blaster when i notest there was a oil trail coming from the cylender to bottom end the gasket is shot now i know i would need a new one but they are oil gaskets? so can i use the gasket sealer that comes in the tube the high heat copper one or the one you can buy from like atuo zone the rubber ones you cut out only asking because i have them in hand

i answered this in the other thread, leakdown test to be sure its the base gasket and not just from the exhaust

and factory yamaha or cometic base gaskets only, if needed

this all seems strange that a base gasket leak would occur while doing a reedcage change, or was it idleing up and down before switching to the v-forces ???
is that possibly the reason for the reed change, thinking the idleling issue was reeds ???
which came first, the chicken or the egg ????
and upload a pic of where this newly found leak is so we can better understand
use tnypic.com to upload a pic, then paste the IMG. code here

yeah i got the message, and it still sounded like it was the base gasket (under the carb ???)
glad it's just the intake, seal it with a thin coat of hi-temp copper on all sides of both gaskets and it'll be peachy

says he's getting bubbles from the case halves in the area he is pointing ?????
shouldnt be sealed up due to the tranny vent, so how could he be getting bubbles here during a 7lb. leakdown test ?????

2s1axd4.jpg

If he's got air in the transmission, it's got to be leaking between the case halves in the crank area or a bad crank seal on the clutch side.

If he's got air in the transmission, it's got to be leaking between the case halves in the crank area or a bad crank seal on the clutch side.

thats what i PM'd him, but it should leak out of the vent hose, not the case halves, unless the vent hose is sealed off ??????

Last edited:
he sealed the vent hose, then it leaked there,
needs a crank seal ??????

but wasnt smoking bad before the reedcage change, < thats all he did

he sealed it when he heard air escaping from it, then found it leaking at the case halves right below the carb where he's pointing

so the crank seal may have been the original problem causing the surging ilde, but why no white smoke ???? or was there ????
chime in dude

i sealed the line ima try to give it a run to see if im still haveing the problem thanks for all the insit also is the clutch side crank bearing hard to replace and if not what i got to do to change it again thanks to all helping

i sealed the line ima try to give it a run to see if im still haveing the problem thanks for all the insit also is the clutch side crank bearing hard to replace and if not what i got to do to change it again thanks to all helping

Its not hard to change and not expensive.

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/crank-seal-removal-28144/

sounds like if it was leaking at the case halves ......wouldnt he have to split the cases and remate them?

I probably would myself, but I don't think it would be absolutely required.

ok i got it back together absolutly no smoke nore is there oil coming out the trans vent tube but know it dont want to stay runing back fireing and all it will run for like 1 minut then want to cut of hit the gas and stays on give it a little gas stays for a bit then wants to cut off have to tap the gaS TO STAY ON

ok did alot of messing around with this bike and i think i got it now my darn throttle cable is messed up right at the part were the cable goes in the throttle box i had the handle bars turned and tryed to start it. the thing would not start i turned the handle bar srtaight and bam it idle down sat there for about 10minutes idling when i went to toutch the throttle cord it tryed to stall out then it reved up a little pulled it straight and it idled down now when i got this bike i got alot of parts with it thank gosh i got another hole entir carb cable and all. so be trying that later. thanks for all u guys insite

oh yeah i forgot that i took those sh*ty ass dyno jets out once i did that and put the stock ones in bame it started right up no backfire nothing no smoke nothing coming out the tranny vent tube either the bike is bored was told .20 over has fmf fatty and fmf power core2 silencer vforce3 reeds. now i got all stock jets and i know im going to have to upgrade that to but will i be able to ride it like this with the stock jets?

oh yeah i forgot that i took those sh*ty ass dyno jets out once i did that and put the stock ones in bame it started right up no backfire nothing no smoke nothing coming out the tranny vent tube either the bike is bored was told .20 over has fmf fatty and fmf power core2 silencer vforce3 reeds. now i got all stock jets and i know im going to have to upgrade that to but will i be able to ride it like this with the stock jets?

NO!!

The stock jets will blow your top end with the fmf installed.