banshee axle brake question

850triple

Feb 6, 2014
So I got a sweet deal, I'm picking up a banshee axle for $40 comes with the carrier and the brake hub, now I'm trying to figure out what to do for the brake.. so my rear brake is crap, doesn't do anything, should I clean it up and fit it on there, at one point the cable is cracked and I can see rust.. or should I go to hydraulic brakes? How tricky is that and do I have to use banshee brakes?

doing a brake swap either requires awks kit or replacing rear carrier and replacing frame or modding yours. you can use 03+ blaster brakes . warrior and banshee calipers are the same as 03+ blasters. i just did a conversion

you're also going to have to do some shimming of the banshee carrier to fit it in the blaster swinger.
seems the banshee carrier is a touch shorter side to side.
here's some pics i found a few weeks ago in another thread, and saved them for a future DIY ?

CarrierSpacingw-CaliperandSprocket.jpg

Measfromcarriertoswinger.jpg

it's in this thread somewhere...
http://www.blasterforum.com/full-rebuilds-128/if-you-give-mouse-cookie-29774/#post361386

looks like a big hassle to me ?

and, my brake kits only fit pre 03 blaster frames/carriers.

doing a brake swap either requires awks kit or replacing rear carrier and replacing frame or modding yours. you can use 03+ blaster brakes . warrior and banshee calipers are the same as 03+ blasters. i just did a conversion

i am using my 96 carrier and 04 uzf450 brakes. i made bracket that mounts to the carrier and is offsetting the caliper in the correct location. i did however have to make mounts to the frame for the master cylinder and bottle

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are getting a banshee carrier with the axle then I would cut the brake boss off(caliper mount) of the shee carrier. Then place it right against the blasters 88-02 style caliper mount and weld it up. That will allow you to run a shee, warrior etc rear brake caliper and full setup. You will have to mount a few tabs to for the hydraulic master and resorvoir along with a pedal extension which requires a bit more welding. If you go this route p.m. me and I will explain more. I would not make spacers and fit the shee carrier to a blaster. It will walk in between the swingarm ears. AWK08 makes brake setups also and you should be able to run one of his kits which will bolt directly up to an 88-02 frame.

Wow thanks for all the tips guys, I think it'll be easier for me to understand once I have it front of me, which might not be until this weekend.. I've read other areas where you shouldn't use spacers which I don't see why not, even a stack of washers seems like it would work if it was tightened down properly.. welding some tabs for a resivioir wouldn't be a problem, so ill start shopping and hope to find one to be here by the weekend.. dualstroke, I don't quite understand what your saying by cutting off the shee brake mount and welding it to my blaster mount, is that so I could use shee brakes on my blaster carrier? Or is so I could use that useless mechanical brake on the shee carrier?

install the shee axle and brake hub into your blaster carrier, use blaster sprocket hub,

cut the hydro caliper mount off the shee carrier, weld it to your blaster carrier, (caliper aligned with installed axle/brake disc, before welding)

then you will have a proper fitting blaster carrier, a shee axle and brakes.

you'll need to weld mounts on for the shee master cylinder/rezzie (aligned and connected to extended pedal before welding)
extend existing brake pedal to actuate master cylinder (i use 3/4"w x 3/16" steel)

So sounds like I won’t need to change or mod any rear brake mounting for my 06 blaster.

+3 roundhouse carrier mount extended swinger
+3 banjo bolt line
Banshee round axle carrier with brake mount
Tusk adjustable axle

Since mine is an 03+ and have the hydros it sounds like I’m all set to mount the stock brake.

Proving me wrong is encouraged. Even if I’m missing the smallest detail lol

... oh yeah I am blocking the parking brake as well obvi. Seems you can just find a heavy elastic to keep in your pocket and toss it over the front brake lever and handlebars.

:D

IMHO, if you need a parking brake, you shouldn't stop on that steep of a hill. If the engine can't hold it in first, don't park there.

FYI, I modded the parking brake fixture for my block off. Pretty simple.

:D

IMHO, if you need a parking brake, you shouldn't stop on that steep of a hill. If the engine can't hold it in first, don't park there.

FYI, I modded the parking brake fixture for my block off. Pretty simple.

True that. Shouldn’t need anything past 1st where you park. Got 5 more gears after that if needed too. My paranoid ass just likes to be overkill when it’s in the back of the truck since I gotta have the tailgate down. If the straps fail 1st would probably start cycling and rolling back slowly each heavy acceleration. But again I tend to overthink things. Could be all those herbs I consume too lol

and, my brake kits only fit pre 03 blaster frames/carriers.[/QUOTE]

Awk08 do you still make this brake setup?

and, my brake kits only fit pre 03 blaster frames/carriers.

Awk08 do you still make this brake setup?[/QUOTE]

Sorry bud, haven't made any in a few years, I wore out the gsxr parts on ebay, and my shop situation changed

Awk08 do you still make this brake setup?

Sorry bud, haven't made any in a few years, I wore out the gsxr parts on ebay, and my shop situation changed[/QUOTE]

If I can’t afford 03+ Blaster spindles...( to go hydro)

What spindle would you suggest for the stock a-arms?

Banshee?