Anyone know much about the old moto4 350s?

Inked soul

Apr 9, 2020
Northern michigan
Got this 87 moto4 350 can’t get no spark , guy said it needed a stator when I got it from him, the stock stator is a 4 prong every replacement stator I can find with that part number is a 3 prong, anyone have this issue befor? The 4th wire is tied to a wire down in the harness, I ran it as it’s own to make it a 4 into 4 plug like the stock, still can’t get spark, any thoughts would be appreciated, also I replaced the entire electrical system already except the main wire harness

First I don’t see how you can wire a 3 wire circuit to a 4 wire circuit. Next, where did you get it and part number?
What did it cost?
All the ones I see have both a 3 and 4 wire plug on them.

You will need some kind of meter and start chasing circuits down.
Unfortunately I don’t know how to figure out if a switch is normally open or closed, so you will have to test on both on and off positions.
You’ll have to see if you’re getting power from the coil and chase it through the switches all the way to the cdi, which is the only unit that can’t be tested.
Make sure you have good ground, maybe even clean it up and use dielectric grease on it, and all connections wouldn’t hurt.
Test for continuity and power/voltage.
Also test anything to do with the reverse circuits, maybe even any lights for neutral or reverse, checking for shorts.
Good thing you have a manual.
I’ll try to think of more.
If you come back on list everything you tested and results

First I don’t see how you can wire a 3 wire circuit to a 4 wire circuit. Next, where did you get it and part number?
What did it cost?
All the ones I see have both a 3 and 4 wire plug on them.

You will need some kind of meter and start chasing circuits down.
Unfortunately I don’t know how to figure out if a switch is normally open or closed, so you will have to test on both on and off positions.
You’ll have to see if you’re getting power from the coil and chase it through the switches all the way to the cdi, which is the only unit that can’t be tested.
Make sure you have good ground, maybe even clean it up and use dielectric grease on it, and all connections wouldn’t hurt.
Test for continuity and power/voltage.
Also test anything to do with the reverse circuits, maybe even any lights for neutral or reverse, checking for shorts.
Good thing you have a manual.
I’ll try to think of more.
If you come back on list everything you tested and results
My new stator is a 3 wire cause for some reason it came with 2 wires tied together down in the harness instead of ran streight to the plug to make it a 4 wire the part number for my stock stator and my replacement stator bought from caltric on eBay for $50 new, I tested the new stator it works, tested continuity through cdi, coil, and ignition all tested to specs although coil was a little low at like 2.8 I’ve checked all grounds and connections, and checked n tested relays, reverse switch, and neutral switch

Also this moto won’t start unless it’s in neutral, which it is, and I can still feel it lurching occasionally when I’m rolling it over, maybe it’s not fully in neutral? Just a thought not sure how to check that without doing surgery lol

The lurching could be too heavy of oil, too tight of tolerance between a gear and shaft, or very minor damage between them. Does this have manual clutch or centrifugal?
Did you test the plug cap separately? Should be 5K. While off cut 1/4” off plug wire a use dielectric grease when installing.

Don’t know if I mentioned it but I had an 87 Warrior I bought with no spark. I found out the stator was specific to that year only, and was unavailable. Unless the color coding of the wires matches up I would have no clue. The
3<>4 wire deal doesn’t jive to me.

The lurching could be too heavy of oil, too tight of tolerance between a gear and shaft, or very minor damage between them. Does this have manual clutch or centrifugal?
Did you test the plug cap separately? Should be 5K. While off cut 1/4” off plug wire a use dielectric grease when installing.

Don’t know if I mentioned it but I had an 87 Warrior I bought with no spark. I found out the stator was specific to that year only, and was unavailable. Unless the color coding of the wires matches up I would have no clue. The
3<>4 wire deal doesn’t jive to me.
I agree with u on the wires, I have endless days looking for the exact one I’ve come to believe it don’t exist lol it’s automatic clutch there’s a shifter but no clutch lever. Can u tell me where the coil gets it’s signal to fire from? Does it go straight from the pick ups to the coil? Just put my second new stator with same funky wires in it still nothing, I don’t think it’s the stator, but it’s something I get a spark every now n then but never 2 sparks in a row. I’ve never had a project do so much to me mentally… I don’t know what to try now . I appreciate ur help