any tecate4's around here?

heres a few pics of my 87

1121091521.jpg

truck.jpg

000_0010.jpg

000_0011.jpg

awesome line up right there dude. i'd have those in the garage instead of what i have now if i could.

Nice tecate man..how long you had them
well those pics are just of one.. i got it in 03 i think.. rode it a while.. sold it then after the guy blew it up i bought it back currently it's sitting here needing the engine rebuilt.. MY 88 i've never had completed.. it one of those "some day" projects.. buddy of mine is building a big PC oven so the frame may be getting done sooner than later.. the engine in my ATC250R comes before anything on the tecates..

well those pics are just of one.. i got it in 03 i think.. rode it a while.. sold it then after the guy blew it up i bought it back currently it's sitting here needing the engine rebuilt.. MY 88 i've never had completed.. it one of those "some day" projects.. buddy of mine is building a big PC oven so the frame may be getting done sooner than later.. the engine in my ATC250R comes before anything on the tecates..

heres the green for your tecate!
P-0116S TACATE GREEN

i saw that the other day when we were discussing PC colors for doin all the jeep box tools.. i filed that color away in the labaryth that is my mind! hahaha a green tecate in tecate green! i wonder if they made a tecate beer sticker kit at one time for the white ones?.... hmmmmmm

I have never seen any tecates of any kind on craigslist near me. I would love to get one if I could find it!

Awesome pics! I've seen them on CL occasionally but they're few and far between. Supposedly Kawasaki built this quad to out-250r a Honda TRX 250r at the races. IDK if it ever really worked out for Kawasaki, but they gave it as shot! (I think not because they weren't made for very long.)

kawasaki got into the game late... and got out early.. the tecate is actually faster than a honda 250R.. contrary to what most people think the 250r in stock or near stock form is not some crazy fast power house... but it is a reliable proven setup with great handling and a good quality construction. the tecate suffered a few flaws that kept it from being a competetor with the 250R.. honda had a massive racing program at the time.. kawasaki really didn't.. and honda was a household name... lets be honest they started the high performance racing ATV scene with the 81 atc250R. the flywheels are junk.. prone to dropping the magnets onto the stator.. kawasaki thought that a good selling point would be the tecates would fit in ANY truck bed so they made the tecate narrower than a 250R.. the seat height is a little taller as well. so the handling wasn't as good as a 250R.. with aftermarket suspension they do handle very well. the tecate out engined the 250R without a doubt and came with some features that in 87 and 88 were cutting edge.. like a removeable subframe (i believe a first in the production ATV world) actual powervavles. and i think the only production ATV to get an actual PV.. the suzuki LT250R doesn't have a PV.. powervavles regulate exhaust port area..the suzuki design regulates exhaust tract length.. also it was the ony production ATV to et triple exhaust ports as well (thats what the PV regulates actually) ,a coated cast alum cylinder. what about a pop up headlight? no atv before or after has ever had a pop up headlight! 88's had factory gullwing style lower control arms.. like a long travel arm.. but i don't think it really offered anymore travel..

Flywheels were deffinately a problem on all tecates. The ricky stator flywheel encases all the magnets in its design so the magnets cannot come out. I have one and was very surprised by how well it fixes th problem. There is one person I know who offers a service to remove the old flywheel magnets,cleans them up and reinstalls them with the correct polarity,glue etc. I have one being sent out soon to get this done to the stocker. I have heard this fix works very well with no issues yet. You may know this info but figured I would throw it out there in case.

Also the carb boots are horrible on these machines. Every used one I have seen has been cracked in some way or another.

thats not a tecate problem.. thats a every old quad problem... many LT250R, lt500R and trx250R boots are dry rotted as well.. it's an age thing. yeah i knew about the guy regluing magnets.. he used to be pretty active on kawieriders

yup, carb boots are a biotch, we got a 79 yz250 and had to repair the boot cause we couldn't afford a new one, but it is repair rlly good now, no leaks :D