Another homemade grab bar

YZ Otis

Sep 24, 2007
Oregon coast
Was fitting new exhaust and wanted to go for a little different look on the back of the bike.. Picked up a piece of 7/8" od. stainless pipe at the scrap yard. Enough for matching heel baskets :D
~

2011-07-27233739.jpg

2011-07-27233624.jpg

2011-07-27233438.jpg

2011-07-27233421.jpg

......burp

VERY nice, I like that high polish look. Did you fab brackets to mount or did you weld to to the frame?

I notched it so it straddles the mounting brackets on the frame and put a solid piece inside the tube on the bolt side for extra strength. Looks simple, no visible welds & covers the mount brackets pretty good. Should still bend before the frame does. Haven't drilled the mount holes cuz I may shorten it up 1/2" to 1" depending where the silencer ends up.

Wanna see the high tech pipe bender used for these incredible compound bends ... baahahahahaa ... well, I'll show ya anyhow ... here it is in action on the heal baskets ... LOL

1 old rusted out steel sawhorse
1 piece of rusty well casing welded on the sawhorse
1 used go kart axle (sweet cheater bar)
1 pair old gloves
1 propane torch
lotsa home brew to think this might work (not shown) and a trip to the dunes for some sand :)
....burp
~
benderjoke.jpg

thats sick..........burp !!!!!!!!!!

giving this a second look made me remember my buddies grandfather, he made a rack for the back of a 3 wheeler once with thinwall conduit, he had no bender, so he filled the pipe with sand, then taped off the ends, heated and bent it,
he said the sand in there kept it from kinking while heating and bending it ????????
the sand was let out after bending was done

seemmed to work pretty good

if it was a 450 his name would be yzf !!!!!

what engine is in dat blaster

It was a 250 for this pic but it's been getting a bit bigger lately ...
~
alkyyz250motor036.jpg

giving this a second look made me remember my buddies grandfather, he made a rack for the back of a 3 wheeler once with thinwall conduit, he had no bender, so he filled the pipe with sand, then taped off the ends, heated and bent it,
he said the sand in there kept it from kinking while heating and bending it ????????
the sand was let out after bending was done

seemmed to work pretty good

this pipe is pretty stout, bout .096 wall. but it wouldn't work without sand ... props to dads & grandpas who pass along old tricks and kids who listen.