All wheels Offroad Park, Lewiston

xjma

Anyone been here?? My jeep club took a trip here this summer as I have a few friends who live right in the area....and it ROCKS!! They ask for a donation, it's not setup as a real company yet. They have some 400 or maybe more acres of trails, and if you want to cut new ones, they're totally cool with that too! It ranges from mild to wild, we obviosly were there with jeeps but we brought a few quads in tow to tool around on too. They allow camping....not much for amenities other than an outhouse, but what else do you really need???? Definitely a great place to spend a weekend!! The owners are really chill. You can't not have fun there!! I wheeled for hours and hours and didn't see the whole place. Just typing this makes me want to go back!! Oh yeah, and as the name implies, they allow all types of vehicle "two, four, six, eight, we don't discriminate" I think is the line they use!! Dirt bikes, quads, jeeps, buggies, whatever. I highly recommend it!

You head north outa town on College Rd., take a right onto Old Farm Rd. and you can't miss it, it's on the left. There are usually trailers parked out on the road, and there is a sign once you pull into the driveway. The house is on the left, but you want to go to the right towards the signs. There is a donation box right at the entrance there. There is plently of parking up the road a bit. If you've never been there try to hook up with some people to show you the good trails...it can get confusing in there!! There are just regular old dirt roads that any 2wd truck with halfway decent ground clearance should be able to go through 90% of the time, and then there are the good 'trails' off of those roads. On the weekends the owner is usually cruising around on his 4x4 quad. He's mad cool, so stop and say hello to anyone you see. It's a pretty informal setup...but fun!

sound ill im in mass but right on the nh border near maine. i think lewiston is like a lil over an hour away wats the address?? i may head up this weekend with some trucks and quads if possible.

Eh, something Old Farm Rd. in Lewiston. You head north out of town, take a right onto Old Farm Rd. and it's up on the left with a sign. The driveway to the house goes off to the left and you want to go off to the right and drop some donation money into the box on your way in!

gotch yea theres actually a website i found i think im going up saturday with some trucks and some quads during the day. if not maybe next week wen i get my jeep lifted.

Reactions: 2strokerdie
It's a good time! There is another place a little further north...I forget the name, but they do sleds too. I duno if all wheels does sleds...I dont' see them minding!! Some of the trails wouldn't be very sled friendly though....

What kinda jeep are you lifting? What are you lifting it for, as in what do you wheel?? Do you wheel it? What kinda lift?

haha i got a 96 zj grand cherokee with the i6 4 liter. i have never been into wheeling in trucks and stuff i race a honda but i got it and my friends do amatuer off roading pretty much stock trucks but its crazy fun. we went inot this pit for the first time and the jeep handled its business through mud and water and up hills. now im like in love wiht it. i was gonna do a lil lift with a iron rock offroad 2 inch spacer kit with nitro shocks. just a 2 inch lift but the next size up is like 3.5 inch and its like 500 bux and its actually pretty big lift. but as for wat i do just minor trails and mud nothing major its kinda my daily driver. but the 2 inch spacer kit and shokcs is like 200 bux so its not bad. and i was gonna put a light bar on the roof and mayb a catback exhaust but not much more than that. i pretty much put all my money into wat eva i drive, i have the jeep, a 00 civic si, a yamaha r6 and my blaster. money pits i tell u....

I've lifted ZJs before. I have two lifted XJs, and I wheel a lot...well, not lately, but normally I wheel lots. I just bought a house so I've been real busy....just messing with the blasters lately! 2" lift on a ZJ is pretty good. My buddy has one with 31" Truxus, lockers front and rear and it can make it up stuff that I can't go up with my XJ on 36" tires locked front and rear!! He's nuts though!!

If you want to go to 3", see if you can't get yourself some V8 ZJ front coils, which are an inch taller than yours, and put the 2" spacer on that. Then take your front coils and use them in back!! Works awesome!! You should be able to fit 32s and even 33s if you trim a bunch of unnecessary sheet metal out of the way!

This is right after I installed his front and rear lockers for him...all he knows how to do is hammer down!

DSC01223.jpg

Here he is about to get up the rock face that I had just busted my rear driveshaft trying to get up...
DSC01245.jpg

This is a notorious hill climb....doesn't look like much, till you get your front tires on it and all you can see is the sky!! Not many people on 31s are dumb enough to try it...but dean can make it up any day!!
IMG_0042.jpg

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6063804290503391058

Although beating on a jeep without much upgrading other than lockers and a little lift can be bad....ripped front control arm mounts clean off and ripped an upper control arm in half, at around midnight, about 3 miles from the closest "road."
1595969_207_full.jpg

Not to scare you...only dean coudl do this!!
1595969_208_full.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yea i was just looking at a lot of stuff on jeepforum. thats actually the exact zj i have but i was looking inot the front to rear swap with new front 3inch shocks and swap fornts to rear. then ill need 4 shocks all around. which wouldnt be much then i seen the iro 3.5 inch kit that comes with everything but the rear springs that u just swap the fron to rear. i may go with that for 475 but its kinda pricey for wat i want to spend. they said the front to rear swap involves new links and adjustable sway bars or sumthin and stuff. do u think i could get away with 3 inch new shocks up front and 4 new shocks and call it a day or no? and of course swapping front to rear shox.

all my boys have f350 diesel trucks and stuff no jeeps. so i wanna come out pretty good with the jeep. my friend is also that crazy but hes got a chevy 2500 hd diesel truck and hes nuts.

yea i was just looking at a lot of stuff on jeepforum. thats actually the exact zj i have but i was looking inot the front to rear swap with new front 3inch shocks and swap fornts to rear. then ill need 4 shocks all around. which wouldnt be much then i seen the iro 3.5 inch kit that comes with everything but the rear springs that u just swap the fron to rear. i may go with that for 475 but its kinda pricey for wat i want to spend. they said the front to rear swap involves new links and adjustable sway bars or sumthin and stuff. do u think i could get away with 3 inch new shocks up front and 4 new shocks and call it a day or no? and of course swapping front to rear shox.

try mallcrawlin.org for ZJ stuff. I don't know jeep forum, but I"ve heard of it. I can only do so many forums!!

When you get much over 3" then you'll need to replace tracbars (they keep the axles centered from side to side), and potentially some control arms to keep the pinion angles in check. I know for a fact that doing the ZJ front coils with the 2" spacers and then putting the front springs on the rear will work without new tracbars or control arms. You would eventually want to get at least a new front trac bar, and potentially get new LCAs that are just a tad longer...but they don't need to be done right away. Also, if you're gonna wheel it, get a HD tie rod...the stock ones are totally useless!! They bend real easy. At very least, get a spare from the junkyard for when you do bend yours!! The shocks won't swap from the front to the rear, they have different mounting styles. I'd double check, but IIRC you can do about a 3" lift with a ZJ and still use the stock shocks, although not ideal. YOu won't get as much down travel. If you can do this, I would, and then save up for some nice shocks, because cheap shocks aren't very good!! I'd recommend OME or bilsteins. I've got bilstein 5150s up front on my XJ on 36" TSL super swamper bias ply tires and it rides like a dream!! It really helps for long trail rides where it's bump after bump after bump, haha. Lot less jolting around, and you can travel faster over the rough terrain where as you go real slow over rough terrain when your shocks really suck.

You could just buy some 3" front coils, then put the stock fronts in the rear, and then buy shocks and you'd be good. Again, you'll eventually want a new front tracbar, and you'll need a new alignment when you lift or the tires will wear bad. If you feel the need, eventually get some LCAs that are a tiny bit longer, or adjustables. I think you could do what you're saying there at the end of your post and be good to go!! I've got a 3.5" lifted XJ that I still rock a stock tracbar on...not ideal, but I don't mind. I could put a new one on and get a little more flex, but I've got so many other things to put money into and it's locked so it just drives up whatever I want it to anyways!!

I don't think you'll need any new links or anything. Depends on how you like to drive, but I don't have swaybars on either of my vehicles. I've heard that removing the rear swaybar on a ZJ doesn't do anything...so you can keep that one on there. Should be able to bolt it back up without any extensions, but it won't work as good like that. If you know your way around a hardware store you could build your own extensions, same thing goes for the front. If you're going to get removable disconnectable swaybar links, there is only one kind worth your money and that's JKS generation 2 quicker discos. They're like 120ish but totally worth it. They work like a dream!! I don't even use mine anymore though....I'm comfortable without swaybars, but not everyone is like that. See that thing with a hole in it in the last pic I posted?? That's the actual swaybar. No links on it...just leave the bar there, toss the links in the trash!!

Oh, and I wouldn't put a light bar on the roof...can't use those lights on the road. I would put some hellas or pro comp 55s on the front bumper. If you're going to wheel you'll want to trim the fat off the bottom of the bumper so it doesn't get caught on stuff and then rip the whole bumper cover off. It's just a plastic cover, and you can make it look real nice real easy. Check mallcrawlin for that stuff. jeepin.com may have some good ZJ info too.

i think im gonna go with the skyjacker 2.25 bb with shocks. its cheap and not bad for the first lift i dont want to get complicated and start spenign all kinds of money on stuff to lift it another inch. im gonna run a set of bfg all terrain 31's with it. i think im taking a trip up to that park in maine in a couple weeks to check it out with some trucks.

that's a pretty good place to start!! A good increase in clearance without having to mess with much. You don't have to change the tie rod, but I would. If not, at least carry a spare...cause they like to bend!! You'll love 31s and a 2" lift!!

If you want to outwheel all of your friends with pickups, get an aussie locker for the rear...and front too if you want!! Lockers increase capability more than anything else you can do.