Aftermarket Clutch Basket Characteristics

STurnerXM2010

Apr 5, 2019
Seagoville, TX
After replacing my clutch a week o so ago, I began feeling this thing slipping quite a bit when shifting high and hard. Thought maybe I hadn't gotten the adjustment just right and pulled the cover to do it again. No change. I've got a stock clutch basket with "heavy duty" springs from Vito's, but I'm wondering what an aftermarket clutch basket will do for me. Are they just stronger, or do they add anything to the mechanical function of the clutch packs? Really trying to justify a $300 expense for "feel" when this isn't a race bike by any means. I have done quite a bit to the engine, but I didn't think I had done enough to warrant a tougher basket. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
If it matters:
Cylinder head decked .030
Medium to full cylinder porting polishing
PJ carb w/cone filter (for now)
FMF SST pipe and TurboCore2 silencer
14 tooth counterbalance sprocket
Boyeson RadValve w/ superstock carbon reeds
Yesterday: 66mph on 20" tires and 14T (w/ another 1/8 throttle left in her)

An aftermarket basket will not help with slipping, unless your stock basket is heavily grooved on the fingers and not allowing the plates to make full contact.
cb.jpg

what brand clutch plates did you use ? fibers and steels replaced ?
fibers soaked at least overnight in your choice of trans oil ?
what trans oils ?
650ml of that oil ?

internal rod adjusted so pointer aligns with notch on cases ?
18901-71faf45eeadec58d7ff874476edcb3b9.jpg

dots aligned ?

24201-3df8ed0e0fdc60295c074dca21f18fbe.jpg

No exsesive wear on pressure plate?enough free play at clutch lever.cable not hanging up?

An aftermarket basket will not help with slipping, unless your stock basket is heavily grooved on the fingers and not allowing the plates to make full contact.
View attachment 34206

what brand clutch plates did you use ? fibers and steels replaced ?
fibers soaked at least overnight in your choice of trans oil ?
what trans oils ?
650ml of that oil ?

internal rod adjusted so pointer aligns with notch on cases ?
18901-71faf45eeadec58d7ff874476edcb3b9.jpg

dots aligned ?

24201-3df8ed0e0fdc60295c074dca21f18fbe.jpg

All were doubled checked after first noticing the slipping. I bought the Vito’s High Performance Clutch Kit, and I believe it comes with Tusk friction plates. Both the friction plates and steels were soaked in 10W-40 for almost two days prior to install. Admittedly, I didn’t look at the grooving of the clutch basket when replacing clutch packs. All adjustments for travel (both internal and external) were confirmed. The one thing I didn’t do that may have some bearing is replacing my clutch cable entirely. I just can’t see a cable being dynamic. If it stretches, it’s not likely to return to a previous length. It would just continue in one direction and can be compensated for accordingly.

No exsesive wear on pressure plate?enough free play at clutch lever.cable not hanging up?
I didn’t look at the pressure plate. What is the minimum thickness on those? I may be able to find it in the service manual. I didn’t think of that. Free play was a little tight to begin with, but I adjusted it back out thinking I wasn’t allowing enough travel for the clutch to engage fully. No change. I’ll look for that pressure plate minimum. That might be my next step actually.

Since clutch was slipping.if you are going to measure pressure plate.i would check steels and fibers to.see if they are in spec.not missing a disk?

Since clutch was slipping.if you are going to measure pressure plate.i would check steels and fibers to.see if they are in spec.not missing a disk?

Good point. All new, but I did not count them. I guess I just assumed. Really haven’t ridden it more than an hour or so either. I’ve never experienced a “break in” period with new clutch packs, but could that be a possibility?

If everything is assembled and adjusted right.just put it in and go.you check everything awk mentioned?you have the basket off?look at everything closely

Just a quick update... After a wise comment by a friend as we were running pretty hard on asphalt, I can say that the majority (if not entire) of the "clutch slippage" that I felt was in fact tire spin. LOL With a 4" extended swingarm I felt nothing in the front end. I'm not sure what that says about my diagnostic ability, but the wheels were definitely breaking loose. Thanks for the input. I'm an idiot. LOL

Just a quick update... After a wise comment by a friend as we were running pretty hard on asphalt, I can say that the majority (if not entire) of the "clutch slippage" that I felt was in fact tire spin. LOL With a 4" extended swingarm I felt nothing in the front end. I'm not sure what that says about my diagnostic ability, but the wheels were definitely breaking loose. Thanks for the input. I'm an idiot. LOL
Spinning ain't winning on asphalt:cool:

Reactions: STurnerXM2010