A/M clutch and basket install

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
heres a little info for those always wondering, as did i, how to replace the clutch basket and install new clutch plates, for now, just a few pics of the basket install, because i then found grooves on the inner basket, and i've come too far and way too much money to skimp on parts now.
so i ordered a brand new inner basket from xc-bob on ebay for $50 + change,
the clucth plate install pics will follow sometime this week when it arrives,

i also have to thank ken oconnor and dualstroke for answering their phones a few times like my personal "tech lines" and helping with a few questions, thanx bro's !!!!!!!!!

heres the new driveleine performance 240 HD clutch kit... $54
15iy4l.jpg

and what was advertised as a PE billet clutch basket,
but the labeling says "MAGNUM" ???
looks to be a very nice piece for $139 shipped

2zs387b.jpg

EDIT: since doing this, ken oconnor has done a video, so here it is, refer below for detailed pics

after removing all the pieces from the bike, heres the stock clutch basket that will need the rivets drilled out to remove the basket from the gear, this is the part that has always had me worried, but they drilled right out, which i did in 3 steps each, starting small and workin up in size
then i sharpened a small chisel and cut the remaining thin piece right off, i then used a nail to drive the rivet out, which was fairly easy prolly cause i used the right size bit to drill thru the rivet but not hit the basket or gear itself, so there wasnt much left to the rivets and they popped right thru

qqakie.jpg

2h7hysg.jpg

35bgw82.jpg

heres what you'll see when you seperate the gear from the stock basket..........

289ivck.jpg

notice there are 4 "D" shaped rubbers and 2 round ones, pay particular attention to where and how they go,
2 round in the same slot (orange arrows)
and 2 "D"'s in each of the other 2 slots (green arrows)

eu3bet.jpg

and the "D" shaped ones are wider at one end, which needs to go to the outside, they will not fit in wrong, the rubbers and the reddish paper gasket that goes under them will need transfered to the new basket also just like they came from the old one as pictured here...........

5v9934.jpg

you'll also notice there are 3 small rubber "bumpers" ???? that will need to go back into the gear also after cleaning

33op6vc.jpg

this was all cleaned with 2 cans of brake cleaner, then wiped down and sprayed again, being absolutely sure to get all the drill shavings removed from every nook and cranny of all reused parts

i need to get pics today of the assembled new unit
which uses a new "aluminum plate" instead of the steel one that was right under the rivets, the new one has recessed holes to accomodate the allen head screws that hold the gear to the new basket in place of the rivets, the screws and basket got cleaned with brake clean as per the instrustions, and a heavy dose of red threadlocker on all 3 screws to keep it all together

to be continued......................

Last edited by a moderator:
good pics awk! this is a great mod for longevity for any blaster. especially ported/modified ones

nice write up.......it's nice having oconnor and dualstroke a call away....thats one of the reasons oconnor does all my engine work..2 and 4 stroke

nice write up.......it's nice having oconnor and dualstroke a call away....thats one of the reasons oconnor does all my engine work..2 and 4 stroke

i even apologized to Ken for calling so many times, as he was busy with customers
he told me to "STFU and to call at 1am if i needed anything" !!!!!!!

unmatched customer service. PERIOD !!!!!!

great pics brotha!! no rep needed but you'll get some anyways.
thats why i like dealing with Ken so much, he answers his phone!! i brought work down to him on a sunday and went home with finished product that sunday afternoon.
and Dually has helped me out whenever i needed as well, even dragged my broke ass down to busco last year to ride with you guys

here is the finished clutch basket swap showing
the new back plate with the recessed screws
16k6h49.jpg

another shot

281c7wo.jpg

and just in case ya forgot, the regular washer
goes behind the basket, the splined one in front

ncmgqe.jpg

sittin on the bike waiting for an inner hub
dpxx5w.jpg

the inner hub and the grooves i can see and feel on
it, not sure if this is bad enuf to require replacement ????,
but if i have to question it, in goes new !!!!

245is6s.jpg

close up of the grooves, the old basket looked
similar

331kvag.jpg

Last edited:
Great write-up. I saw the Magnum baskets on ebay but wasn't sure whether they were good or not. They're a good $40-50 cheaper than the other billet baskets.

Cool bro! Nioce write up for sure, I got my basket already assembled but want to do another one for the spare motor!

Oh awk your the best lol. Im getting a new basket like next week cuz mine has the same deep grooves on the basket and i was wondering how to do this! Like you need anymore... but have some green.

it'll be prolly wednesday or so till the new inner hub comes, then this will continue with the clutch plate install, including leaving the larger inner diameter fiber and the wave washer out, which performance driveline and others, give you an extra full width fiber to replace that with

i also just ordered a new locking washer that holds everything onto the output shaft (the thin washer that gets bent over against the nut)
it's a very long walk home from some places on the mountain
versus a $4.55 part shipped from boats.net

Last edited:
good write up Joe!!! Looks great.For what it is worth the PE basket is called a magnum.Some sell it as a PE basket and some sell it as a Magnu basket.It's all the same and made by Performance Engineering.Holla anytime!!!!bahahhahaha

finally !!!!!! got my locking washer from boats.net, i paid for it on the 19th, they didnt ship it till the 25th, and tracking showed it leaving florida, thru wisconson ??? then to PA. it came yesterday, so 10 days to receive a little flat washer in a padded envelope, maybe not worth the few dollars i may save with them ????

here we go,

the new inner hub versus the old grooved one....

x2mh6a.jpg

the tusk clutch/flywheel holding tool in use.....

2s1rku1.jpg

a little tip from ken oconnor about the tusk clutch tool, the "ears" are too thick for our hub grooves as it comes, i ground them down a little on the angle area as instructed by ken and they didnt slip off like they did while removing my spent hub....

2j9s8x.jpg

the new hub installed with the washer bent over to keep the nut in place...

2z84x8p.jpg

scqgwl.jpg

heres the larger diameter fiber and the wave washer that gets left out and replaced by a full size fiber in the driveline kit, this can also be done with a good shape used fiber .................

5yatf9.jpg

after installing the clutch discs, starting with a fiber first, then alternating fiber -steel disc till ending with a fiber,
then be sure to align these 2 dots on the inner hub and pressure plate......

2567cyc.jpg

i didnt get any other pics after that cause my fibers were soaking in the
driveline recommended " mobile1 10w-30 full synthetic oil " for a week, and my hands were greasy, i should have gotten the inner rod adjustment pics, maybe when i do my sons ???

said a quick "prayer", haha, warmed it up, and took her for a spin thru the yard,
instantly i noticed a difference, and a quick crack of the throttle in third gear and she was standin straight up, huge difference from my slipping stock clutch,
add 2 years to the life of my front tires as they will be back in the air more often now !!!!!!!!

I'm glad u got pics of the dots....that seems to be the #1 problem first timers have. And u realize u added life to the front but lost life on the rears....bahahhaha

Looking good bro.Did your port work fry your clutch basket???????hhahahahhahahahaaha

i'd say yes, the fibers didnt look bad, but were not putting my power down ???
the basket and inner hub were badly grooved, but ken threw better shape stock clutch discs in when he had it last year, apparently there were getting "glazed over" and slipping ?????
cause it was giving me troubles to get the front end up when needed to skip ruts, logs, rocks since doing the +2 t-rock swinger.
she pulls up easy now !!!!!!