98 blaster 200 vs. 03 scrambler 500

caseyt

Mar 30, 2012
so my buddy has the scrambler and everyone thinks he is going to take my blaster, now i have no idea and i just rebuilt it today. so tomorrow after i break it in well we are going to race. no track and no mods to either of our wheelers, other then his k&n air filter. who is going to take it?

so my buddy has the scrambler and everyone thinks he is going to take my blaster, now i have no idea and i just rebuilt it today. so tomorrow after i break it in well we are going to race. no track and no mods to either of our wheelers, other then his k&n air filter. who is going to take it?

Is his 4x4? If so, require him to lock it in. It might slow him down enough for you to keep him in sight!

The polaris Scrambler 400's were no joke. That's a 400cc reed valved fuji engine with a CVT transmission. They could, with relative reliability, be made to put out incredible amounts of power.... AAEN advertises 75 hp out of their "top of the line" scrambler engine:

Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV Scrambler 400

From the factory, they were a relatively paltry 38hp :eek:

The advantage that the blaster has is weight. The scrambler (especially the 4x4) was a heavy beast and adding LOTS of power is required to get it up and moving really faster. Relatively mild mods to the blaster mean more speed gains because the blaster is much lighter.

Stock to stock it should be an interesting race but I think the scrambler has "the cc's" to take the blaster...

Depends on the track /rider
The scrambler are big and heveay and tall
if you can get it in a tight smooth track you can get hif in the bends
On bumpy bits the 500 has big long travel suspension so your screw'd there
In a drag-strip kind of track you might get him on teh get-go but afther a while he will get you on top speed

I most certanly be fun to try

nuno

If you had a little work done to your blaster like pipe and jetting you might take him. But from having experience with both machines I am thinking that he will take this one

As long as the track is tight and twisty, I am plugging for the Blaster, but only if you take your time in doing the break in proceedure correctly.

Do not be impatient to race before you have run at least two tanks of gas through at no more than 3/4 throttle.

Do not be impatient to race before you have run at least two tanks of gas through at no more than 3/4 throttle.

exactly what i was gonna say !!!!!
race tomorrow, possibly rebuild the next day !!!!

a scrambler 500 4x4, locked in? they would eat a banshee of the line and almost ALL the 450's..lol 4 tires pulling rather then two. The scrambler 500 will be a blaster in 2wd, no mods, but it won't be by much..in 4wd, the blasty hasn't a chance at all.

think awd cars vs 2wd cars...the awd's have far quicker run times.

i owned a scrambler 500 4x4, no mods, just a slip on for audio. It was faster in 4wd off the line than my predator was, and almost as fast off the line as the predator in 2wd...just didn't have the top speed.

I see the OP hasn't posted again, would've been interested in the results. I have Blasters, a Scrambler & a Predator. Since , for better or worse, we tweak everything we touch, I can't really compare stock to stock ... I consider the Scrambler a utility quad in sport plastic :) It's my tractor, but it's also my Wife's favorite ride at the dunes. At the beach where it's flat as far as you can see the Blaster & Scrambler are pretty close with the slight edge to Scrambler in 2wd. Close enough that anything like gearing, tuning, tire type/size, or even rider weight would probably make a difference. Neither can touch the Predator, but the Predator can't beat our YZ Blaster :D ... I needed the Scrambler in 4wd to build our trails ... but nothing can keep up with the little Blasters on the steep, tight trails. The Scrambler is surprisingly quick on the tight trails and more predictable in 2wd than 4wd ... The poor Predator can't make it through the trails without backing up in some places. I like'm all but the Blasters are just more fun to ride in most places.
So, basically stock, in a flat, strait line where ya race till it's obvious who has more top speed, I say Scrambler.

I dont know if this is all right or how accurate it all is because i just cut & pasted it, but it looks like the Polaris Scrambler has a little better horsepower per pound..

1. Suzuki Quadzilla LT500 ---------> 51srwhp / 390lbs = 0.1308 horsepower per pound
2. Cannondale Cannibal -------------> 38srwhp / 375lbs = 0.1013 horsepower per pound
3. Yamaha Banshee ------------------> 37srwhp / 386lbs = 0.0959 horsepower per pound
4. Suzuki QuadRacer 250R --------> 31srwhp / 327lbs = 0.0948 horsepower per pound
5. Kawasaki Tecate 4 ----------------> 33srwhp / 339lbs = 0.0944 horsepower per pound
6. Honda 250R --------------------------> 31srwhp / 329lbs = 0.0942 horsepower per pound
7. Yamaha Raptor 660R -------------> 35srwhp / 399lbs = 0.0877 horsepower per pound
8. Suzuki Z400 / Kawasaki X400 -> 32srwhp / 370lbs = 0.0865 horsepower per pound
9. Bombardier DS650 BAJA --------> 39srwhp / 475lbs = 0.0821 horsepower per pound
10. Honda 400EX -----------------------> 29srwhp / 374lbs = 0.0775 horsepower per pound
11. Polaris Sport 400 ------------------> 34srwhp / 481lbs = 0.0707 horsepower per pound
12. Polaris Scrambler 500 2WD ---> 35srwhp / 523lbs = 0.0669 horsepower per pound
13. Yamaha Blaster --------------------> 20srwhp / 320lbs = 0.0625 horsepower per pound
14. Yamaha Warrior -------------------> 21srwhp / 397lbs = 0.0529 horsepower per pound
15. Honda 300EX -----------------------> 17srwhp / 377lbs = 0.0451 horsepower per pound
16. Kawasaki Mojave -----------------> 17srwhp / 379lbs = 0.0449 horsepower per pound
17. Honda 250X -------------------------> 15srwhp / 351lbs = 0.0427 horsepower per pound
18. Honda 250EX -----------------------> 13srwhp / 349lbs = 0.0372 horsepower per pound
19. Suzuki QuadSport 230 ----------> 11srwhp / 309lbs = 0.0356 horsepower per pound
20. Wal-Mart PowerWheels ---------> 0.5srwhp / 50lbs = 0.0100 horsepower per pound

I know it's probably a little late to chime in, but this might help someone later down the road.

I have a ported Blaster with a stock jug... and I can smoke a 500 Scrambler with a K&N filter (off the line). Ran out of track shortly after hitting 6th gear, so I can't say how long I could keep ahead.

Scramblers are good machines for what they are. But they don't have the acceleration that a moderately modded Blaster has. Will they go fast? Heck yah, they can haul butt... (if you have enough road in front of you).