87 j arm banshee full rebuild

ryguy21s22

Feb 11, 2014
michigan
i am starting a banshee full rebuild. starting a thread so i can receive any help you all may have, any tricks to make the build better, easier, cheaper, faster, etc. i will be posting pics as things progress. color scheme is black and yellow. also im in search of:

ISO
-black plastics
-rims and tires
-exhaust
-handlebars
-head lights

COLOR SCHEME

frame-yellow
hubs-yellow
jarms and swinger-black
spindles-black
bumper-black/chrome
grab bar-black/chrome
rims-black/chrome
case halves-black
cylinders-yellow
head-black
axle carrier-black

i got everything stripped to the frame and in process of sand blasting componets listed above. the engine is in great shape. but the cylinders were off the case halves so i split the cases so i could wash the crank real well. crank seems to be in good condition, nice and tight, just a lil dirty. cylinders looks great, no scoring on the walls or cracks just some light surface rust in spots on the cylinder wall. head looks brand new no scoring or nics. came with no pistons so i will be purchasing vitos super stock top end kit with ported cylinders. i will also be replacing crank bearings and all engine seals. top case half has been cleaned but the bottom has not yet i still need to remove shift forks and drum then clean. any input on that would be great. step one of this build is to get components blasted, powdercoated, then replace all bearings and seals on hubs and axle carrier and make a rolling chassis. ISO wheels and rims and black plastics. then rebuild and install engine but i need pipes already have toomey silencers.s

any imput on the build is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Reactions: Awk08
Presume you're talking only two outer crank brgs? I would measure bores, no sense in putting new piston in worn holes. As to ported cyls and SS pistons, might not be good idea if the exhaust has been raised.

If you desire heel guards, if your frame doesn't have mounts either fab before paint or nerf/foot peg/heel guard combo ($$$)
Advantage of J-arm, lighter frame
Disadvantage pivots wear faster, or at least show movement at ball joint sooner because pivots are closer together. Less choices for extended arms.

Reactions: ryguy21s22